Singer songwriters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

Whos your favourate.

For me, Neil Finn

Has amazing strength and depth to his songs and despite not being well known I would place money that everyone on this site has heard or knows at least 3 songs he has written even if you are unsure as to who he is.

With work spanning over 30 years that has been consistantly good, hes my pick.

David Gedge (The Wedding Present)
Shane MacGowan (The Pogues)
Martin Rossiter (Gene)

highland fox said:
David Gedge (The Wedding Present)
Shane MacGowan (The Pogues)
Martin Rossiter (Gene)

Shane MacGowan is often laughed at and passed off as a non entity, but I agree with you entirely, his lyrics and songs are very deep...must admit I have the best of in the car at the moment because he, and the pogues are very good.

A pair of Brown eyes...brilliant example of some deep and masterful lyrics

MacGowan is a Poet,a pissed Poet I grant you but the man is a Genius when it comes to song writing.The Old Main Drag,Body of An American,Rainy Night in Soho the list of his Greats is endless.

highland fox said:
MacGowan is a Poet,a pissed Poet I grant you but the man is a Genius when it comes to song writing.The Old Main Drag,Body of An American,Rainy Night in Soho the list of his Greats is endless.

:smt030 Agree, pissed poet but a total legend. Was watching a programme, 'bono's millions' a couple of months back. Anywho, a while back McGowan had nowhere to stay so Bono rented his Dublin house to him for a quid for as long as he wanted to stay...the best bit is that Bono is still waiting for that quid :smt081

Anonymous said:
highland fox said:

:smt030 Agree, pissed poet but a total legend. Was watching a programme, 'bono's millions' a couple of months back. Anywho, a while back McGowan had nowhere to stay so Bono rented his Dublin house to him for a quid for as long as he wanted to stay...the best bit is that Bono is still waiting for that quid :smt081

That was me :?

Mr David Gedge

Mr Paul Simon

Mr Billy Childish

Mr Martin Rossiter (Thanks for reminding me Highland) :)

Mr James Taylor

Mr Lou Reed

Mr Billy Bragg.

Kirsty MacColl (are we allowed dead people?)
Some of her old stuff is being re-released in the next few weeks, with bonus tracks, plus a new compilation and DVD. Well worth getting if you appreciate clever and witty songs.

Billy Bragg a close second.

Shane MacGowan third.

Given Kirsty's songwriting ability it's ironic most of her biggest hits were written by other people (including Bragg and MacGowan).

Nellie McKay could be up there, if she can continue the way she started with her first album.

Although by no means a musical genius, the simplicity and "down to earthness" of the lyrics of Paul Heaton (B.South & H/Martins) are bordering on lyrical genius

I agree with Kirsty MaColl,I saw her once live at De Montfort Uni very good it was too,particulary her first album.Very attractive too.

highland fox said:
I agree with Kirsty MaColl,I saw her once live at De Montfort Uni very good it was too,particulary her first album.Very attractive too.

Highland you ole Perv!!

finger.jpg

Legend! :smt097

I think Webbo is trying to say he finds MacGowan attractive,in a purely artistic way of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263