Site downtime tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It's that special time of year again - the annual move to a new server.

The site will be going down for a time tonight while the move takes place. I expect the move to start at around 10PM, and should be up again by midnight.

Due to an IP address change the site may be unavailable for longer for some people if their ISP doesn't update their DNS records as quickly as they should.

Hi Jeff,

My PC is ok kbut my iphone either says that it cant find the server or that the site is unavailable, can you help please?

Thanks.

Same problem here. Both on iPhone through mobile net, and iPad on wifi. Comes and goes. Says that tb is changing server and not available atm. Obviously ok right now.....

I had the same problem on my Samsung mobile yesterday and then it was okay until I went on at lunchtime when it said not available and directed me to twitter for updates. This went on for a while until just after the game and now when its back to normal again

Last edited:
I had the same problem on my Samsung mobile yesterday and then it was okay until I went on at lunchtime when it said not available and directed me to twitter for updates. This went on for a while until just after the game and now when its back to normal again

I think the problem some people are having is being caused by the company I was using for the DNS. They were down last night and appear to have been having intermittent problems today. I've just changed the settings so I'm not using them any more. This means there could be more problems until that move is finalised.

If people know how to use their hosts file to set the IP address, you can add 94.23.154.140 for talkingballs.co.uk and this will avoid any further potential problems.

I think the problem some people are having is being caused by the company I was using for the DNS. They were down last night and appear to have been having intermittent problems today. I've just changed the settings so I'm not using them any more. This means there could be more problems until that move is finalised.

If people know how to use their hosts file to set the IP address, you can add 94.23.154.140 for talkingballs.co.uk and this will avoid any further potential problems.
About the time this was posted I lost TB again for a while whilst I was waiting before driving back to Sheffield. But its back to normal again now that I'm back in Sheffield.

Last edited:

I changed the nameservers back to 123-reg, but although I could see the new settings in their control panel, it seems they didn't actually update their servers, so some people who had been able to access the site since the move were no longer able to see it.
It's not the first time I've had problems with 123-reg (it's why I moved the nameservers away from them in the first place), but this time I've had enough and have moved the domain away from them entirely. Hopefully this move won't cause any more problems, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Sorry for the inconvenience this whole server move has caused.

No connection between late last night and after noon today but fine now.
Thanks for your effort in solving it, Jeff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757