Site downtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The site has been hosted on the current server for over three years now, and when server get this old I start to get worried about SSDs failing, etc. So I'm planning to move it in the next few days.

The plan is to do it in the early hours of the morning so most people won't even notice the downtime. Normally this kind of move is completed within an hour or two, but once it's finished some people might not be able to see it for a bit longer due to cached DNS records.

Rather than a new dedicated server, I'm going to try a cloud based virtual server. I'm hoping there won't be any noticeable difference in the performance of the site, but won't know for sure until the move has taken place.

Once the move has started I'll update Twitter with any news - https://twitter.com/talkingballs

The site is still running smoothly. I don't receive emails anyway but everything else seems to be fine.

Thanks for your investment of time and money into this site Jeff. Is there a way we can make a donation to its upkeep please?

For the last 45 minutes or so there's been a problem at the datacentre, which meant the server's connection to the outside world has been down intermittently. It seems to be OK now.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it was a good idea to change providers. Fingers crossed this was just a one off. I only deleted everything from the old server and cancelled it last night, maybe I should have kept it running for a bit longer...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Jeff. You do your best, nobody can ask more than that. Fortunately, your best is good enough!

The site has been unavailable consistently for me since 19th. The server just times out before it can connect.
At first I thought it was my end, so changed various browser settings, used a different browser, used my phone, tried using the link in the tweet about the server switch. All no good.
The only way I'm on now is because I've gone through a VPN with a tunnel in the UK.

The site has been unavailable consistently for me since 19th. The server just times out before it can connect.
At first I thought it was my end, so changed various browser settings, used a different browser, used my phone, tried using the link in the tweet about the server switch. All no good.
The only way I'm on now is because I've gone through a VPN with a tunnel in the UK.
I've worked out where you are from previous posts, and had blocked your country. Sorry about that. There was a brute force login attack coming from multiple IP addresses and it was having the effect of a denial of service attack, slowing things down. So I banned the whole country, not realising we had any members there.
I've removed that rule from the firewall so you should now be able to access the site normally.

Most people don't put a location in their profile (you, for example), or they make something up. So the first thing I checked was the IP address of a previous post.
Nobody knows where I’m from. It’s a secret.

Alright show off. I just looked at his profile page.

Jeff wouldn't have got much info from that because I only filled in my location after he'd already sorted it out for me.
My location, or more specifically the time difference (which makes back-and-forth discussions difficult), is mainly why I'm not very active in a lot of threads, so I can understand him thinking there were no members on this side of the world.

Not sure if Singapore is on the shit list? I don't seem to be able to connect from home but it work at the office, which is via Switzerland/UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757