New Contract Six years for Ndidi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club is delighted to confirm that Wilfred Ndidi has signed a new contract, keeping him at King Power Stadium until June 2024.

In the 18 months since his arrival from Belgian side Genk, the 21-year-old has developed into one of the Premier League’s most exciting talents as well as a key member of Leicester City’s first team squad.

The Nigeria international, who represented his country at this summer’s Fifa World Cup in Russia, has played over 60 times for the Foxes and has been named the Club’s Young Player of the Year in each of the last two campaigns.

A tough tackling and combative midfielder, Ndidi’s quality on and off the ball has quickly made him an integral part of Leicester City’s team and with his long-term future now secure, Foxes fans can look forward to watching him develop even further with the Football Club.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Ndidi said: “I’m very happy to sign this contract with Leicester City. I have enjoyed every moment of my time with the Football Club, so I’m thrilled to be here for six more years. Together with my team-mates and our wonderful supporters, I hope we can look forward to many more fantastic moments.”

Ndidi began his career with Nathaniel Boys in the Nigerian city of Lagos, before moving to Europe to join Belgian side, Genk. The midfielder impressed with his performances in the Belgian First Division A and UEFA Europa League before the Foxes swooped to secure his services in January 2017.

Just two days after joining Leicester City, Ndidi made his debut away to Everton in a 2-1 victory for the Foxes at Goodison Park. In a sensational first campaign, the fan favourite was named Young Player of the Year after just four months with the Football Club, as well as representing the team in the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League.

The following season Ndidi enjoyed another impressive campaign in which he made 33 appearances in the Premier League. He won more tackles than any other player in the division and was once again given the Club’s Young Player of the Year Award as they team earned a ninth-place finish.

At international level, Ndidi represented Nigeria at Under-17 and Under-20 level, before earning his first senior call-up in October 2015. He has since been capped 19 times for his country including three times at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia as the Super Eagles finished third in Group D.

It's soon to be reported that Ndidi has signed an improved deal extending his contract by two years - to 2024.

Maguire announcement to follow shortly too.

As long as they don't include release clauses, this is very good work by the club.
Agree. Long-term commitment means very little except possibly bigger transfer fees, but all the same it shows intent to keep key players in the club for years rather than months.

Excellent news as he just seems to get better and better each game.

I'm sure there will be a buyout in there as there always seems to be nowadays but hopefully it will be for £75-80m minimum as he could easily be the next one the supposed bigger boys come after.

Great news. Hopefully no release clause in this one - usually they tend to be included more when a player is signing for a club than when a contract is renewed, I think.

Amazed Wilf hasn't been linked more with transfers really. But I hope he's here for a long time.

People write nonsense like that because they know people will link to them, they'll get more visitors, and get more ad revenue.
They don't care how much crap they write, it's all about the ads.

I'm tempted to automatically censor links to sites that are the worst offenders. But then I'd be accused of censorship, when really it's just quality control.

People write nonsense like that because they know people will link to them, they'll get more visitors, and get more ad revenue.
They don't care how much crap they write, it's all about the ads.

I'm tempted to automatically censor links to sites that are the worst offenders. But then I'd be accused of censorship, when really it's just quality control.
In my Facebook group I banned a number of sites and pages for this exact reason, and none of the 4500+ members has complained.

How good is Ndidi then? In terms of winning tackles and covering ground there can't be many better. For me, I have been a little disappointed with his distribution over the first two games. As a comparison, I thought Mendy's use of the ball was much better against Wolves.

How good is Ndidi then? In terms of winning tackles and covering ground there can't be many better. For me, I have been a little disappointed with his distribution over the first two games. As a comparison, I thought Mendy's use of the ball was much better against Wolves.
I agree. If he can improve his passing and become a little more consistent, he can go onto great things.

I would expect, assuming Mendy becomes a team regular and chief water carrier, Wilf will have the opportunity/necessity to sharpen up the creative side of his game.

Good thing we tied him down before he left for Teeside :)

Just as we finally get people to omit that imagined first o in Middlesbrough, they start missing an s in Teesside. ****ing southerners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757