Confirmed Transfer Slimani to Lyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory is that he started well, wasn't it something like 4 or 5 goals in his first 10 appearances or something?

I think he got frustrated with still not getting a regular place and his attitude was poor mostly after that.

Slimani header in the Champs League was a high point

Slimani was a perfectly good centre forward who never stood a chance.

He was signed for well over his market value because we expected Vardy to leave. When he didn't, there was no point in him being here.

We were never going to change our style to suit his game because we played for Vardy. It was painful at times when he came on to replace Vardy and people expected him to chase around.

Once it became clear to Slimani that he was never going to be anything other than a bit part player, his application dropped off a cliff and he became the mardy waste of everybody's time that we will all remember.

Ultimately, it was a stupid, panic signing by Ranieiri. Just another part of the shambolic 2016 window that nearly fecked up everything that we'd achieved.

Slimani was a perfectly good centre forward who never stood a chance.

He was signed for well over his market value because we expected Vardy to leave. When he didn't, there was no point in him being here.

We were never going to change our style to suit his game because we played for Vardy. It was painful at times when he came on to replace Vardy and people expected him to chase around.

Once it became clear to Slimani that he was never going to be anything other than a bit part player, his application dropped off a cliff and he became the mardy waste of everybody's time that we will all remember.

Ultimately, it was a stupid, panic signing by Ranieiri. Just another part of the shambolic 2016 window that nearly fecked up everything that we'd achieved.
Quite. Hopefully a lesson learned, in terms of following your model.

That's clearly happening with Iheanacho as well. Unless we can attract players like Cavani, players who still have quality but will accept not being first team players due to age, then we won't have any supersubs.

If it was all about not being number one then fair beef if he wasn't also shite for Newcastle and in Turkey. It wasn't all about that. It was mainly because he's a bit shit and that Thauvin lad, Ben Arfa and the like look good in the French league. He also did that ridiculous staged "Chelsea are some team" thing with Mahrez to get the papers talking.

Shite, unprofessional, slow.....if only he'd been first choice and had 100 games in succession. The cock.

For 30 million quid, I expected a lot from Salami, alas, I can recall perhaps one happy memory of him, that being his winner against West Ham on New Year's Eve a few years back. I managed to watch it on an old TV in a Budapest boutique hotel. The temperature outside was -10 degrees Celsius (and not much warmer in the hotel room to be honest) but that win warmed me up a bit and I, somewhat naively, thought that maybe, just maybe, Slimani might push on from there and become the goal machine we had all hoped. Alas, he was little more than a mal-coordinated bull in a china shop.

Nevertheless, good luck in the future Islam. (I also found it interesting that, at the time, we had a Christian and an Islam in the same team. I was thinking that we'd maybe try and sign a Buddist and Hindu later on and have a truly religious line up).

The missus and I stayed in the Gellert when we went there. We liked Budapest but we were there in June.

The missus and I stayed in the Gellert when we went there. We liked Budapest but we were there in June.
Probably a bit warmer than when I went ha ha

On Slimani not getting chances and similarly with Nacho.

Look at Jota at Liverpool. Clearly signed to be a back up/long term replacement for one of the best attacking lines in world football. probably was told he’ll not be first choice but this is the deal. But when he got his chances he took them with both hands and gave Klopp some difficult decisions to make (before his injury). That’s the kind of response you want to see from the bench or when players do get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263