Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Just ****ing unbelievable. :098: The bastards also tried to cover it up. :mad:

Speeding police 'not prosecuted'
By Martin Shankleman
BBC News

Officers were caught speeding while on duty
Roadside camera photographs of South Yorkshire Police officers caught speeding, but who later had their cases dropped, have been obtained by the BBC.
The pictures were released after South Yorkshire's chief constable, Meredydd Hughes, was banned from driving for speeding at 90mph in a 60mph zone.

Those in cars caught on camera were all on duty but none was prosecuted after refusing to say who was at the wheel.

The force said cases were not pursued due to drivers not being identified.

Public interest

The pictures, obtained by BBC Newsnight under the Freedom of Information Act, all showed officers speeding - mostly in the Rotherham and Doncaster areas.

They were released following the intervention of the Information Commissioner, who rejected the force's reason for non-release.

The force had claimed that releasing the images was not in the public interest.

Most of the officers caught were in the Doncaster and Rotherham areas

In one case it claimed that if the occupants of a speeding police van were identified because of publication, there was a "risk that those individuals will be vilified and as a consequence their mental or physical health will suffer".

But the commissioner rejected that argument, saying the information had been "inappropriately withheld" and that it was in the public interest for the material to be disclosed.

Overall, the BBC investigation uncovered 26 cases between 2003 and 2006, where South Yorkshire police officers caught speeding on duty failed to admit they were driving and cases were dropped.

'Due diligence'

A spokesman for South Yorkshire police said the cases could not go ahead because they had used "due diligence" in trying to identify the drivers and, because they could not be identified, a prosecution would fail.

The force said releasing the pictures was not in the public interest

He added that procedures had now been reformed and earlier this year the chief constable had taken himself to court for failing to identify the driver of a speeding police car.

Mr Hughes, 49, a former chair of roads policing at the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), apologised after being caught on camera doing 90mph in a 60mph zone on the A5 at Chirk near Wrexham in May.

He stood down from his role at Acpo after he was summonsed for the offence, which happened when he was on holiday.

He was disqualified for 42 days and fined £350 by Wrexham magistrates.

Thousands of similar cases not involving police officers fail to reach a prosecution each year on similar grounds.

From Stevens quoted post:
In one case it claimed that if the occupants of a speeding police van were identified because of publication, there was a "risk that those individuals will be vilified and as a consequence their mental or physical health will suffer".

If I get done for speeding, or even drink driving, I can tell you now that I would be vilified by friends, neighbours, family, TBers and everyone else. As a result my metal and/or physical health would undoubtedly suffer and in turn this would infringe on my human rights with regard to not having to incur any unnecessary suffering.

Stories like that really make your blood boil :098:

The Police are above the law.they can speed,they can shoot people etc and aren't answerable.Great job they do though,feel safe when you walk down the street don't you? Couldn't find their arse with both hands most of them.

The Police are above the law.they can speed,they can shoot people etc and aren't answerable.Great job they do though,feel safe when you walk down the street don't you? Couldn't find their arse with both hands most of them.

In situations like this, where the offense isn't in the line of duty they should face the full force of the law. I agree this is a disgrace, the police records should show who was driving at the time.

In situations like this, where the offense isn't in the line of duty they should face the full force of the law. I agree this is a disgrace, the police records should show who was driving at the time.

TBh I long since stopped caring about our Policefarce.Just thought I'd stick my ten bobs worth in as usual:icon_roll

I Find it surprising that many companies now have to keep a log of who is driving what vehicle and when. The police should have a similar record.

Good plan - get them to fill in more forms.

That will help catch more criminals.

Fantastic thread.

Good plan - get them to fill in more forms.

That will help catch more criminals.

Fantastic thread.

No need for loads of forms, just put a name or the officers number into the computer, job done. Although no doubt if they were to implement something it would be far more complex.

The police advice to my uncle, who avoided the fine on the same argument was to make all his staff sign the vehicles out and in, so it is registered who is responsable for it between those times. no forms just a book. If in future he can't say who is resposable, he has been told he personally will be acountable.

Thank god for estate Agents and tabloid journalists.

Salt of the earth.

Thank god for estate Agents and tabloid journalists.

Salt of the earth.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a sanctimonious Estate Agent or Tabloid Journalist chastising someone for breaking the law and at the same time lied and covered up for colleagues who were. :018: :018: :018:

Policemen who do this are part of the problem and should be sacked on the spot.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a sanctimonious Estate Agent or Tabloid Journalist chastising someone for breaking the law and at the same time lied and covered up for colleagues who were. :018: :018: :018:

How about a sanctimonious tabloid journalist chastising someone for taking drugs, and then snorting half a kilo of columbian marching powder every week and/or covering up for colleagues who do the same :102:

Or an estate agent lying about offers received on a house in order to make a substantial profit for themselves rather than their poor clients :102:

How about a sanctimonious tabloid journalist chastising someone for taking drugs, and then snorting half a kilo of columbian marching powder every week and/or covering up for colleagues who do the same :102:

Or an estate agent lying about offers received on a house in order to make a substantial profit for themselves rather than their poor clients :102:

True, but neither of these groups have jobs which call on them to uphold the Law.

Genius.

Stevenworld must be a wonderful place to live.

DiscoBobworld where people are fleeced of their money by "fines" where these upstanding honest truthful persons have said you are committing an offence. East Germany is it? :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58
9Nottm F48