Squad for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

We have to recruit more goals this summer.

We have one goalscorer and a few tepid support acts. If we can retain Tielemans, we have enough goals in midfield with Maddison there too.

Our main issue is the wide players. This season we've used Gray, Ghezzal, Barnes and Albrighton in these positions. Supporting the striker, ahead of the midfield, tracking back, etc.

In 99 appearances between them for us this season, they've managed a total of 10 goals. That's awful, diabolical for a side with aspirations. Gray has 4, Ghezzal and Albrighton 3, and none for Barnes.

If you look at the best teams, they have plenty of goals from these positions. Next season, I think we need to ditch Gray and Ghezzal and have Barnes and Albrighton as back-ups. Then we need two quality attack-minded players for these roles. I can't see Sturridge fitting the bill.

Think Barnes will kick on with a full preseason under Rodgers, some don't but I think Rodgers will get the best out of Gray.

Albrighton is a grafter and a great squad player but is he what we need anymore?

Who knows with Ghezzal? Be interesting to see what BR makes of Diabate

Be interesting to see what BR makes of Diabate

Toilet-cleaner-man.jpg

I don't think I am quite ready to see us ditch Gray yet. I think he's had some of his best games for us under Rodgers even though last time out his impression of the invisible man was excellent. He's at last chance saloon but I'd like to see what he can do under Rodgers given time. I absolutely agree with the need for more goals though, especially through the midfield but we must invest in a striker as well.

And I believe that Ghezzal is going to be a more important player than Gray for us next season.
don't see why he's barely featured and was dropped for the returning Albrighton, you would have thought he would have gotten a start by now

I don't think Gray's disappearance against Newcastle was entirely his fault. I think we got it wrong tactically and both Gray and Barnes suffered by being compressed between our fullbacks and Newcastle's defence. There simply wasn't a great deal of time or space for them to do much.

I am not convinced that Ghezzal can adapt to the hustle and bustle of the Premier League. Apparently he is the most talented player in the squad (according to Maddison). I wonder if Rodgers will show patience and bring the best out of him? I'm going to take a punt and say he will leave in the summer.

And I believe that Ghezzal is going to be a more important player than Gray for us next season.
I haven't seen a single shred of evidence for this. He's looked like a rabbit in the headlights every single time he has played. Gray has been better of late and there is evidence to suggest he is a good player who needs confidence and strong management. He seems to be far more maligned by his own supporters than he does in other quarters where a lot of folk seem to think he's a decent player. I hope Ghezzal can step up but my gut instinct with him is the same as it was when I saw Slimani, Musa and Silva; I just don't think he has what it takes. I'd be over the moon to be proved wrong of course.

Alan Hansen got pilloried (not literally) for saying that you don't win anything with kids. According to Gary Neville he was right and it was the experienced players who got Man U success that season.
When we won the Premier League it was with some very experienced players Would the Great Escape of 2014-15 have been possible without players like Huth and Cambiasso. .
I believe in battle hardened players and would like to see us bring in some experience to help the youngsters.

I would genuinely cash in on Gray.

The amount we could get for him whilst he's still pulling the wool over peoples eyes would be much more than when people realise that fast young English player doesn't actually amount to top quality young English player.

Potential has been the word banded around about Gray for about 3 years now, and he's steadily got more and more game time and yet remains no better a player than he ever was.

...He seems to be far more maligned by his own supporters than he does in other quarters where a lot of folk seem to think he's a decent player...

Most of the people who seem to think he is a decent player (ie the pundits and co-commentators) aren't the ones who watch him every week. He's got all the attributes to be a very good player but there just seems to be something missing.

Most of the people who seem to think he is a decent player (ie the pundits and co-commentators) aren't the ones who watch him every week. He's got all the attributes to be a very good player but there just seems to be something missing.
Confidence and good management. Rodgers may have the key to that lock.

Gray is a TV player. We should al have realised that when he did **** all against United in his first game except skulk and then score a long ranger when the game was already lost.

The right mentality.

Gray is a TV player. We should al have realised that when he did **** all against United in his first game except skulk and then score a long ranger when the game was already lost.
That wasn’t his first game

Sign Tielemans.

Keep all of the core first team (as in the starting 11 and bench).

Unsure why we would sell Gray as he is still as young as most of our youngsters, it just seems the fact that he broke through much earlier than others is held against him and people expect Mahrez like performances from him.

Acquire some sort of 'big guy' option up-front.

Win the league next year.

Easy.

EDIT - And if we do lose one of the top players, I think we could get away with losing Maguire the most as we have good options there but I'd still rather us keep him.

Is there any point making a big buy striker? If first game of next season Vardy is fit but the new guy starts people will be moaning, so long as Vardy is fit I really don’t see a point in spending big in that area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester3883
2Leeds Utd3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757