Squad for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign a top class midfielder (Tielmans), a top class winger (?) and an excellent second striker (?). Sign a promising third choice striker that would be happy to contribute 5-10 games over the season.
Integrate Benkovic and possibly Soyuncu into the squad. Establish one of these to replace Maguire.
Keep Fuchs for another year.
Loan out Choudhury to the championship.
Get rid of Okazaki, Iheanacho, Gray, Slimani and Silva.

Wake up wishing it all happened.

Is there any point making a big buy striker? If first game of next season Vardy is fit but the new guy starts people will be moaning, so long as Vardy is fit I really don’t see a point in spending big in that area

Big guy not buy.

As in a bit of a unit, someone we can lump it to when the fancy shit isn't working.

Doesn't have to be an expensive buy, if anything but, as it would be good to have someone who can provide an alternate option but not expect/demand to play every game.

Big guy not buy.

As in a bit of a unit, someone we can lump it to when the fancy shit isn't working.

Doesn't have to be an expensive buy, if anything but, as it would be good to have someone who can provide an alternate option but not expect/demand to play every game.
Gotta be Salamander Rhododendron for me.

Or - left field - Edin Dzeko?
As fans, do we really, genuinely care if players are 22 or 33? If they’re excellent, we’ll end up selling them anyway so we don’t get to see that “career progression”.
I’d be doing everything to lock Tielemans in as well. He’s exceptional, you can tell by the way he always seems to have acres of space around him.

Big guy not buy.

So the bloke we've sent out on loan?

When in doubt, lump it up to some big bloke

It’s the future of football

Rodgers made it abundantly clear in his press conference and fans forum last week that he won't be recruiting a 'Plan B' big striker. Slimani is done here and he won't sign another of his type. End of story.

His comments yesterday made it clear (as if we didn't already know) that Okazaki is being released at the end of the season.

As all our U23 forwards are nowhere near good enough, that will leave us with Vardy and Iheanacho. All depends on what Rodgers makes of Iheanacho in my opinion. Comments from the other players, as well as his national coach, suggest that he's a popular personality but he just doesn't take his football seriously. He seems to be a big kid in desperate need of a kick up the arse.

There is definitely a strong case to loan out Iheanacho for a year to a low Premier League team with a tough manager and bring in Sturridge on a free. If we're going to spend on a striker, we should get a talented young 'un to play in the U23s for a year and as back up in case of injuries.

He may not sign one but he has said he wants to look at Slimani in pre season so he may not be completely done here.

The gap between 6th and 7th is growing rapidly as the season's go on. Right now, there are 17 points between us and Man Utd in 6th. This is an enormous gap to attempt to narrow.

In 16/17 the 6th/7th gap was 8 points, in 17/18 it was 9 points. Over the last 5 seasons, the average number of points required for 7th is 60. I think this is our current standard, despite the fact that we'll fall some way short of this total.

There are two things we need next season in order to achieve at least 60 points, and narrow the gap to the top six.

Firstly, we need to be more competitive against the top six sides. This season, we've taken 7 points from our 9 matches against them. In each of the last two seasons, we've taken 8 points from our 12 matches against them. We need to be looking for around 15 points a season from these games .

Secondly, we need more goals in our side. This is necessary to achieve the above point but also to put away the lesser teams more effectively.

It would be an absurd gamble to rely upon the likes of Gray, Ghezzal and Barnes next season. Barnes is a talent and may become a goal scoring player as he showed at WBA. But we cannot rely on this happening. The other two have never shown any kind of figures to justify persisting with them.

Gray will be 23 in a few weeks. He's scored 18 career goals in over 200 appearances. There is less than a 10% chance of him scoring in any given appearance. He simply isn't good enough for a team aspiring to a minimum of 7th place.

Ghezzal is 27 in a couple of weeks. He's scored 19 career goals in 166 appearances. So we get a goal from him one in every nine games. He has five goals in his last two seasons, so he's becoming less threatening with age. He isn't good enough for us.

We have to get serious this summer with this group of players. I've picked on Gray and Ghezzal but there are multiple others that need to go if we're genuinely ambitious. Gray and Ghezzal are Brighton quality wingers, not Leicester quality ones.

The gap between 6th and 7th is growing rapidly as the season's go on. Right now, there are 17 points between us and Man Utd in 6th. This is an enormous gap to attempt to narrow.

In 16/17 the 6th/7th gap was 8 points, in 17/18 it was 9 points. Over the last 5 seasons, the average number of points required for 7th is 60. I think this is our current standard, despite the fact that we'll fall some way short of this total.

There are two things we need next season in order to achieve at least 60 points, and narrow the gap to the top six.

Firstly, we need to be more competitive against the top six sides. This season, we've taken 7 points from our 9 matches against them. In each of the last two seasons, we've taken 8 points from our 12 matches against them. We need to be looking for around 15 points a season from these games .

Secondly, we need more goals in our side. This is necessary to achieve the above point but also to put away the lesser teams more effectively.

It would be an absurd gamble to rely upon the likes of Gray, Ghezzal and Barnes next season. Barnes is a talent and may become a goal scoring player as he showed at WBA. But we cannot rely on this happening. The other two have never shown any kind of figures to justify persisting with them.

Gray will be 23 in a few weeks. He's scored 18 career goals in over 200 appearances. There is less than a 10% chance of him scoring in any given appearance. He simply isn't good enough for a team aspiring to a minimum of 7th place.

Ghezzal is 27 in a couple of weeks. He's scored 19 career goals in 166 appearances. So we get a goal from him one in every nine games. He has five goals in his last two seasons, so he's becoming less threatening with age. He isn't good enough for us.

We have to get serious this summer with this group of players. I've picked on Gray and Ghezzal but there are multiple others that need to go if we're genuinely ambitious. Gray and Ghezzal are Brighton quality wingers, not Leicester quality ones.
I agree with all of that BN except about how the gap between 6th and 7th has materialised...

Man U have had a massage be blip new manager bounce and without considerable investment won’t replicate their points tally next season.

You could of course level the same at us but we wasted 2/3 of a season with someone totally ineffective.

We should easily have had another 12-21 points in the bag had Puel tried to win games as well as implement his so called plan.

Quite simply we will be closer to 60 points than 50 next season with this group of players playing even remotely well.

I agree with all of that BN except about how the gap between 6th and 7th has materialised...

Man U have had a massage be blip new manager bounce and without considerable investment won’t replicate their points tally next season.

You could of course level the same at us but we wasted 2/3 of a season with someone totally ineffective.

We should easily have had another 12-21 points in the bag had Puel tried to win games as well as implement his so called plan.

Quite simply we will be closer to 60 points than 50 next season with this group of players playing even remotely well.
Ole does massages? No wonder they improved a bit. Can’t see the miserable sod Mourinho offering that service.

I agree about Ghezzal.

Gray would perhaps be an okay squad player but not sure he would be happy with that. Barnes can still develop but perhaps isn't quite ready for first choice in a team with our ambitions

I think Albrighton is Class though and can still be valuable for us.

Gray would perhaps be an okay squad player but not sure he would be happy with that.

He's going to get a harsh reality check then in the near future.

His pathetic application warrants nothing more than the bench.

If only he could look at Albrighton and see something worth copying.

He's an half arsed showpony

I am done with Gray. Week after week of nothing. Barnes comes onto the pitch and looks a totally different class of player.

As for Iheanacho, he had a good little cameo today. I think Rodgers would like to give him a chance.

Also, I think today rules out any future involvement for Ghezzal. I wonder if he will be hard to shift?

I am done with Gray. Week after week of nothing. Barnes comes onto the pitch and looks a totally different class of player.

As for Iheanacho, he had a good little cameo today. I think Rodgers would like to give him a chance.

Also, I think today rules out any future involvement for Ghezzal. I wonder if he will be hard to shift?
For 500k, nah

For the 12m we paid, yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371