Post Match Stoke 0 Leicester 4 (FA cup R3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say I've thought for a few games now I prefer Castagne on the right and JJ on the left. It may have only been a poor Stoke side, but both their performances today just confirmed that.

After the game BR said this about the full backs:

“Just looking at both full-backs in terms of their strength, I think what we’ve done with JJ on a number of occasions is he’s played from the left and the right,” the Leicester manager explained.

“Most recently, in some of the big games, I’ve played him off the right to do a specific job on Son [Heung-min], [Marcus] Rashford and these types of players that play in that little role that you’ve got to be a good defender to play in.
“But, I just felt that when Tim [Castagne] plays on the other side, we’ve got good penetration from Harvey [Barnes] on that side but we needed someone maybe to run in below, more beyond the line, and then we’ve got good penetration from both sides.

“I just switched them over, because JJ’s comfortable on the left, but I think we get more running ability out of Tim on the right-hand side and I thought both full-backs were outstanding.”

After the game BR said this about the full backs:

“Just looking at both full-backs in terms of their strength, I think what we’ve done with JJ on a number of occasions is he’s played from the left and the right,” the Leicester manager explained.

“Most recently, in some of the big games, I’ve played him off the right to do a specific job on Son [Heung-min], [Marcus] Rashford and these types of players that play in that little role that you’ve got to be a good defender to play in.
“But, I just felt that when Tim [Castagne] plays on the other side, we’ve got good penetration from Harvey [Barnes] on that side but we needed someone maybe to run in below, more beyond the line, and then we’ve got good penetration from both sides.

“I just switched them over, because JJ’s comfortable on the left, but I think we get more running ability out of Tim on the right-hand side and I thought both full-backs were outstanding.”
Bless him, he’s not shy about telling people when he’s done something right.

Missed the game today but just read the match thread, there was epic wit in there regarding bigotry, pantomimes and Bobby Davro, excellent stuff.:005:

Really enjoyed that today, fun match thread, some great goals, strong squad selection in the cup.

**** it I’m having a tenner on us to win the bastard, come on!

I’m sure I’ll be corrected for some ruling or injury unaccounted for, but is this not the sort of game where a Sidnei Tavares or equivalent could get 15 minutes. Not necessarily just to prevent injuries (which it may have with hindsight) but also to reaffirm them as future prospects. I seem to see other big teams doing similar things and wonder why we don’t really.

I’m sure I’ll be corrected for some ruling or injury unaccounted for, but is this not the sort of game where a Sidnei Tavares or equivalent could get 15 minutes. Not necessarily just to prevent injuries (which it may have with hindsight) but also to reaffirm them as future prospects. I seem to see other big teams doing similar things and wonder why we don’t really.
Maybe their players warrant that and ours don’t?

Like I’ve said before; if they’re good enough, they’ll get games.

It was mentioned by someone in the match thread (sorry, can't remember who) that the U23s may be in a different bubble to the first team, so they aren't mixing.

Does anyone know if this is actually true?

It would make sense why we've not seen any of the youth players at all recently, particularly today - in a cup match where we had very limited attacking options on the bench, playing lower league opposition, and could use 5 subs.

Even in the league, you can now have 9 players on the bench so you'd think there would be space for the odd one or two.

I also don't think Soyuncu has been appearing for the U23s, despite obviously needing minutes?

They have a big game away on Wednesday against Tranmere in the Trophy as well and already short of players due to these loans of Admiral etc.

The fact BR has rotated alot has meant all of our players have been playing regularly same could not be said for Leeds.
Solid performance yesterday and a beauty from JJ hopefully he will have more attempts in the future.

Maybe their players warrant that and ours don’t?

Like I’ve said before; if they’re good enough, they’ll get games.
I get this, it makes sense. But there is something more to just 'being good enough' when developing younger players who haven't experienced football at that high a standard. Match day involvement, experience and confidence of playing with players like Schmeichel, Evans, Tielemans etc.

And do we have to wait till they are off to another club before we decide they are good enough to play 10 minutes on a cold Saturday afternoon in Stoke.

I get this, it makes sense. But there is something more to just 'being good enough' when developing younger players who haven't experienced football at that high a standard. Match day involvement, experience and confidence of playing with players like Schmeichel, Evans, Tielemans etc.

And do we have to wait till they are off to another club before we decide they are good enough to play 10 minutes on a cold Saturday afternoon in Stoke.
I don’t know. Perhaps people at the club think they don’t warrant that experience, for some reason? Ultimately not one of us has watched them at the training ground regularly, and I suspect very few of us have experience of working out who deserves that opportunity and who doesn’t. I find it difficult to say whether or not any player, let alone this one, deserves that chance. That’s the club’s call and they have to live with that.

They may become a Pogba, where he leaves Man U and they have to spend the thick end of £80m to get him back, or they may become Ravel Morrison, who was probably rated more highly than Pogba in their youth team and yet has wasted his talent. It isn’t all about what they do on the pitch, after all.

Can you name a player who hasn't been given a chance with us whilst coming up through the academy, who then went on to forge a fantastic career at the top level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757