Strike Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickovforengland!

Don't know why there is doom and gloom about our strikers.

We are just over a quarter of the way through the league. MdV has scored 5 so he is on course for 20.:icon_eek: Hume is quick and tricky and took his goal well at Derby, all of us have seen Connolly miss his fair share of those for Leicester. Wigan look like they could be staying up so that will bag us a cool million if it comes off which will turn out to be a great bit of business.

Elvis has not been with us long and supposedly had an onside goal ruled offside. I know its early days but I think the early indications are good.

Dickovforengland! said:

We are just over a quarter of the way through the league. MdV has scored 5 so he is on course for 20.:icon_eek: Hume is quick and tricky and took his goal well at Derby, all of us have seen Connolly miss his fair share of those for Leicester. Wigan look like they could be staying up so that will bag us a cool million if it comes off which will turn out to be a great bit of business.

Elvis has not been with us long and supposedly had an onside goal ruled offside. I know its early days but I think the early indications are good.

we will see, but at the moment, it is the mentality of the team, i feel that we dont start attacking until we realise we are not winning with 10 mins to go.

Dickovforengland! said:

Superb points.

I think the pessimism comes from the fact we are not scoring enough goals. This isn't all the fault of our forwards though - midfielders and defenders are not contributing enough goals.

DurhamFox said:
I think the pessimism comes from the fact we are not scoring enough goals. This isn't all the fault of our forwards though - midfielders and defenders are not contributing enough goals.

I'd have to agree. If we aren't retaining possession in midfield the front two, whoever they are, will have no chance of sticking it in the net.

The prospect of Hume and Hammond together excites me (cue obvious gay gags) and I hope Levein starts them together again.

Dickovforengland! said:
The prospect of Hume and Hammond together excites me (cue obvious gay gags).
:icon_eek: How childish do you think we are, eh?

chutney ferret;)

Hume and Hammond showed great potential on saturday, they were a constant threat and in subsequent saturdays both player's have opened their accounts, this will have given them both great confidence, also both of Hammond's disallowed goals were good striker's goals and now that has Humey has also got off the mark with what was a beautifully taken goal, I think both will go on and score goals at this level.

For me the problem is in the other areas of the pitch we have few if any defenders capable of scoring goals at anywhere near the frequency of a Walsh or Elliott. And in midfield we only seem to have Gudjonsson capable of hitting the net with any regularity and that is mainly due to him being our nominated penalty taker.

The strikers have done ok, weighing in with 11 goals so far, not brilliant, but not bad considering that De Vries, Connolly, Dublin, Hammond and Hume have all shared the strikers duties in the opening 14 games. Also Hume and Hammond have both netted in the last week and Hammond on another day could have had another 2, so it is looking fairly promising.

What we need to see is midfielders of the calibre of Hughes, Williams and Tiatto weighing in with 6 or 7 goals a piece and the defenders like McCarthy, Johannson and Dublin (when he plays there) adding a few. The only defender at present who looks like scoring goals is Stearman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566