Sympathy for Warnock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

It is very rare that I would feel any sympathy for the guy but the fates certainly conspired against him yesterday.

If it was obvious to the ref, from the protests, that he may have made a mistake, why did he not consult his other three officials to ask them?

Even if they did not see it, most of the Brizzle City team and their management saw it, so why did they not let Palace walk a goal in?

There was no doubt. This was not a dodgy penalty call. This was not a relegation deciding match.

Have the last vestiges of sportsmanship died? It is not good enough for Brizzle to say "We knew it was a goal but what could we do?".

Last edited:
Such is the game. Warnock knows that. We all know that. It was always so.

All match officials have been taken off the appointments list until after the incident is reviewed.
Keith Hackett has apologised to Colin and C Palace.

Shocking that this kind of thing happens in real professional football.

Last edited:
I must say, I agree with Warnock on this one. Why not just have goal line cameras? Pretty much every other sport uses Hawkeye technology now and it wouldn't affect the game at all for the 4th official to just look at a monitor for a few seconds. I still think Warnock's a cock and I don't really care that Palace lost, but things like this shouldn't happen in football nowadays. Poor sportsmanship by Bristol City as well.

I laughed because it was Colin, but I did feel sorry for the rest of team.

It must have been obvious to the ref from the teams' and crowd reaction that it was a goal. I can't understand why the linesman (or whatever he is called nowadays) didn't see it either.

The Bristol manager said he couldn't afford to let Palace have a goal as Bristol were playing badly at the time. I suppose money is more important than sportsmanship now.
I'm still proud of the free goal we gave to Forest in the cup replay a couple of years ago after Clarke collapsed.

Well it was a goal and the ref should have been more positive and NOT take the coward's way out by leaving it up to the linesman who obviously did not see it cross the line as it happened too quickly. But surely the ref should have been looking himself and saw it. If the linesman said it say hit the post the ref would have said well it didn't so it must have crossed the line as it didn't go wide.Simple.

Also what was the Bristol City player doing there with the linesman and ref if he was saying it crossed the line why didnt they give the goal. BUT if as likely he was there to see that it wasn't awarded and he knew it had gone in then shame on him. In fact what the Bristol players should have done from when they got back the ball was to pass it back until someone shot it into an empty net so that it was 1-0, similar to the way Forest scored against us in the Carling Cup in the rematch after the Clive Clarke incident.

Colin is still a prat though and I see he still lives down in Cornwall so he must commute up to London

No, it would take more than that for me to sympathise with Colin.

However, in this case the match officials deserve all the blame that will come their way but as do the Bristol players. When will football own up that this is in fact 'cheating', just like Roy Carroll did a few years ago when he saved knowingly behind the line (and everyone blamed the linesman then as well). That kind of thing is not something you can say 'ah well' about, the team should have owned up. It is a sad fact though that the importance of each goal, money-wise, will make that even more unlikely.

No, it would take more than that for me to sympathise with Colin.

However, in this case the match officials deserve all the blame that will come their way but as do the Bristol players. When will football own up that this is in fact 'cheating', just like Roy Carroll did a few years ago when he saved knowingly behind the line (and everyone blamed the linesman then as well). That kind of thing is not something you can say 'ah well' about, the team should have owned up. It is a sad fact though that the importance of each goal, money-wise, will make that even more unlikely.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, sympathy has no place in such matters, just get the decisions right and there will be no need to manufacture made up goals, ask the audience what happened etc. Penalty shouts, offsides etc will always have an element of subjectivity to them but the ball hitting the back of the net, how difficult is that and surely one of the four officials could tell how the Palace players went off and celebrated that a mistake had been made.

Firstly I'll say that I know Rob (the referee) so I'm likely to be a bit biased, he's a top bloke who will hate the fact that this has happened but certainly wouldn't offer any excuses

My point is though, if he didn't see whether or not the ball had crossed the line he couldn't give the goal unless another one of his officials said that they had seen it. He went over to talk to his assistant at that end of the ground who presumably said that he hadn't seen it as a goal. He therefore had no choice.

He cannot give a goal on the say so of the teams and he couldn't ask Bristol to score an own goal, that would be for them to do off their own back.

Daft as this may sound, he actually did the right thing in the circumstances as he would have been in more trouble with the refereeing authorities had he done anything else.

None of what I've written however should excuse the mistake he made which he will know more than anyone

Firstly I'll say that I know Rob (the referee) so I'm likely to be a bit biased, he's a top bloke who will hate the fact that this has happened but certainly wouldn't offer any excuses

My point is though, if he didn't see whether or not the ball had crossed the line he couldn't give the goal unless another one of his officials said that they had seen it. He went over to talk to his assistant at that end of the ground who presumably said that he hadn't seen it as a goal. He therefore had no choice.

He cannot give a goal on the say so of the teams and he couldn't ask Bristol to score an own goal, that would be for them to do off their own back.

Daft as this may sound, he actually did the right thing in the
circumstances as he would have been in more trouble with the refereeing authorities had he done anything else.

None of what I've written however should excuse the mistake he made which he will know more than anyone

Totally agree with all of this... The guy had to make a decision and can only go on what he see's. I hate all this talk of 'cheating' etc. What a load of shite. It was a mistake - Yes, with the benefit of cameras it's a crap decision but what other choice did the guy have. Who'd be a ref?!

I remember the same thing happening may years ago at Filbert Street when Villa were denied a good goal. Afterwards there was redesign of the net supports to ensure it could never happen again.

I remember the same thing happening may years ago at Filbert Street when Villa were denied a good goal. Afterwards there was redesign of the net supports to ensure it could never happen again.

Maybe this is something that the FA should look at.
It seems FIFA is the stumbling block on technology, but as regards goal stantions(sp) etc, is there anything to stop our own FA ruling on the matter?

Being their home ground, you'd think Bristol City would get the goals changed pronto as they are the most likely to have it happen to them.

Still, find it hard to show sympathy for Colin. Has the officials come out and said there was an infringement in the attack like has been suggested?

But it did happen again - the following season - and with the new net supports.

But it did happen again - the following season - and with the new net supports.

No, it must have been an illusion, like this was. The designers said it was impossible.

If the ref didnt see it hit the back of the net and neither did the linesman then he cant give it, even if it is obvious to everyone else that it went in.

As for Bristol admitting it went in why would they? Do teams admit when a player isnt offside or when they foul a player or when they dive? Teams play to win and if they get decisions which they shouldnt they are going to take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363