Thailand martial law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it awful; a nation worried about its future, and that was my first thought too!

Last edited:
Martial law has occurred 11 times since 1932 in Thailand. The recent political unrest has been hanging over the country for 8 years.

I'm quite sure it will be a concern and it could be a positive depending on their political allegiance.

I suspect the problematic times in Thailand will adversely affect tourism. I remember reading that Bangkok had even exceeded London and Paris for tourism in 2013. This is bound to have a negative affect on King Power. I hope we can still afford Johan Cruyff!

I doubt it will have an adverse affect unless the political groups begin to challenge the military. This I doubt so in a strange way, this may make tourists feel more secure.

Martial law is fairly common in modern day Thailand. There will be elections and there will be a new government in due course. Panic not.

I travelled around Fiji for a month whilst there was a military coup, whilst I appreciate it is on a different level, the impact on tourists was minimal.

No impact for us or our owners. Thailand has dealt with numerous and very different problems in the last 10 years or so including floods, bird flu, the tsunami etc.
Never did hit tourism for more than 3-4 weeks and usually climbs to new heights tourist wise year after year. Esp with High spending tourists from Japan and South Korea coming to the forefront. It`s one of the world`s premier destinations!

No impact for us or our owners. Thailand has dealt with numerous and very different problems in the last 10 years or so including floods, bird flu, the tsunami etc.
Never did hit tourism for more than 3-4 weeks and usually climbs to new heights tourist wise year after year. Esp with High spending tourists from Japan and South Korea coming to the forefront. It`s one of the world`s premier destinations!

Don't forget the Chinese.. the place was crawling with them when I was there

Martial law has occurred 11 times since 1932 in Thailand. The recent political unrest has been hanging over the country for 8 years.

I'm quite sure it will be a concern and it could be a positive depending on their political allegiance.

Political allegiance is key since they operate their shops under licences granted by the government. Should the military or a future government see the profits as excessive, or would rather the profit go to one of their pals, then they might be in trouble.

Political allegiance is key since they operate their shops under licences granted by the government. Should the military or a future government see the profits as excessive, or would rather the profit go to one of their pals, then they might be in trouble.

Didn't somebody once share a story here about KP occupying more airport space than they are legally allowed?

Thailand's military has announced it is taking control of the government and has suspended the constitution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27517591

Things seem to be getting worse out there with the army declaring a curfew, tourists (and presumably others) have just over an hour to get inside. Groups of five or more "discussing politics" can be summarily arrested.

Last edited:
Mmmm certainly seems to be escalating.

The Military have suspended the current constitution EXCEPT THE PART WHICH CONCERNS THE THAI MONARCHY and it was the King who bestowed one of the countries highest honours on Vichie ie the change of the family surname. I would suggest that any attempt to interfere with King Power would be seen as a direct insult to the King himself, and the Thai's are sticklers for 'respect'. I have no doubt that Vichie and his family have very good connections in all parts of Thai society including the military.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263