The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a terrific interview with Steve Walsh (the coach) on there today. Some of which is well known, some less so.

It shows up just how key Walsh was to us.
If he was that good, why have we not tried to bring him back?

If he was that good, why have we not tried to bring him back?

No idea.

We chose to appoint the manager's mate (Congerton) instead, who has a horrific record in comparison.

Our success over the last few years is built on buying well. Congerton will be responsible for who we sign from now on. We can only hope that our structure helps him to be a lot better than he was at his previous clubs.

Walsh's role in identifying, persuading and supporting new players is a template I hope we're still using.

Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Perez

Barnes, Chilwell, Choudhury have come from the Academy

All nothing to do with Walsh, which suggests we are doing fine without him
There you go again with your facts and all that. ****ing splitter. What about our xG signings, are they any better?

NDidi was heavily scouted during Walsh's tenure, he signed January 2017, all the ground work was done by Walsh

Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Perez

Barnes, Chilwell, Choudhury have come from the Academy

All nothing to do with Walsh, which suggests we are doing fine without him

And where did we get all the money from to buy those players?

Kante/Drinkwater/Mahrez = £125m

I don’t think there’s a question about what Walsh did for us. Homer rightly pointed out that we are doing just fine without him.

Your point was about scouting players and who we sign

Not dissing what Walsh did in any way - just pointing out that we seem to be doing perfectly fine finding very good players without him

And we funded Tielemans and Perez by trousering £80 million (cash up front) from selling Maguire, whom he also didn’t sign

Walsh picked out some gems for us then helped put Everton's shower of shite together. We've had plenty successes here I'd not have back after their work since.

I look at our recent business and if reports are correct we've paid less for Madders and Youri than Newcastle spent on Almiron and Joe Linton...excl wages. Quite mental. That's before considering the Maguire/Cags thing.

Screenshot_20191114-112225_The Athletic.jpg

Saw this in an article about Southampton. The PPDA stands for passes per defensive action, which essentially means how many passes the opposition rack up before they get tackled or intercepted. The fact that we're comfortably the best in the league at this indicates how successfully Rodgers is getting his ideas across about pressing.

That’s two articles with him recently. Is he talking himself up because he fancies getting a new job?

Just to be clear - I’m not knocking him, or his achievements, it’s just interesting that there have been two very similar write-ups, in a short space of time, which made me think why?

That’s two articles with him recently. Is he talking himself up because he fancies getting a new job?

Just to be clear - I’m not knocking him, or his achievements, it’s just interesting that there have been two very similar write-ups, in a short space of time, which made me think why?

I've no doubt that's the case, and also partly the reason he talks about the players he wanted to sign for Everton rather than some of the dross that did come in under his/Koeman's watch.

Effectively splitting the interview in two probably also helps Rob Tenner fulfil his quota of weekly articles for The Athletic...

Two parts of the same interview. He was in Leicester for the Arsenal match so Rob Tanner met up with him when he was staying at his place in Rothley.

Sounds like he's enjoying semi-retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757