The Big 6 (Plus Little Old Leicester) PPG Standing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea have not won a home game against the top seven and Spurs have only won one away game. Time for optimism I feel, but on this thread, pessimism seems to be more productive.

It’s a done deal. We won’t need any more points.

Upcoming fixtures of interest before we play again:

12/05 - Chelsea v Arsenal - a win for Chelsea will pretty much guarantee them at least 5th.
13/05 - Villa v Everton - anything other than a win for Everton and they cannot finish top 4.
13/05 - Man Utd v Liverpool - anything other than a win for Liverpool and we only need 2 points.
15/05 - Brighton v West Ham - can't finish above us if they don't win.
16/05 - WBA v Liverpool
16/05 - Everton v Sheff Utd

Worst case scenario when we kick off against Chelsea in the PL with all teams having two matches left:

3rd Chelsea 67 points
4th Leicester 66 points
5th Liverpool 63 points
6th West Ham 61 points
7th Everton 61 points

On 17/05 Liverpool go to Burnley, West Ham go to WBA and Everton host Wolves. Worst case scenario on last day if we lose at Chelsea:

3rd Chelsea 70 points
4th Liverpool 66 points (would definitely have a superior goal difference)
5th Leicester 66 points
6th West Ham 64 points
7th Everton 64 points

On the last day, Liverpool are at home to Palace, West Ham home to Southampton and Everton are at Man City.
I dont like it.

That is the worst case scenario. The best case scenario is that our place in the top four is guaranteed before we even play Chelsea.

What do we need for that? Is that only if West Ham lose at the weekend and Liverpool lose tomorrow and the weekend?

The staggered fixtures make it much more difficult (or at least time consuming) to see the permutations.

I think 1-2 more points is enough, but I don't us getting a draw from both Chelsea and Spurs so think we need to win one.

What do we need for that? Is that only if West Ham lose at the weekend and Liverpool lose tomorrow and the weekend?

The staggered fixtures make it much more difficult (or at least time consuming) to see the permutations.

I think 1-2 more points is enough, but I don't us getting a draw from both Chelsea and Spurs so think we need to win one.
Everton will also have to lose to Villa and Sheff Utd, or not win either of them at least.

Liverpool, the shittest of the “big six” against the bottom three teams, and having won 3 of their last seven league games, are suddenly going to win every game they have left because...?

Because we'd be stupid to assume it's over until it's over.
Is it no longer allowable to mention the fat lady singing?

Liverpool, the shittest of the “big six” against the bottom three teams, and having won 3 of their last seven league games, are suddenly going to win every game they have left because...?

I agree, I can't see it. They've not won four PL games in a row since Watford beat them in Feb 20 ending their long winning run. They've not really been the same team since the first lockdown.

In addition, Liverpool have only beaten Man Utd twice in their last 13 PL games, both at Anfield. The last time they won at Old Trafford, BR was manager and Moyes manager of Man Utd. I will start to get worried if they go there and win.

After that, they face three teams with little to play for but they are all managed by stubborn managers who don't tend to allow their teams to switch off.

Liverpool have only beaten WBA twice in their last 8 PL meetings and Allardyce is a good opponent for Liverpool generally. They usually win at Burnley but Burnley did win at Anfield in Jan. BRs final match at Anfield was a 1-3 defeat to Palace. Palace went on to win at Anfield the next two seasons as well. Of course, Liverpool did put 7 past Palace just before Xmas which suggests that they are unlikely to struggle but it could be Woy's final match as manager there and same for quite a few Palace players, they're not the easiest opponent.

In the four matches against these opponents earlier in the season, they picked up 5/12 points.

Because we are still to play Chelsea, if Liverpool win their last four they are guaranteed a CL spot. That’s some motivation for tomorrow.

Because we are still to play Chelsea, if Liverpool win their last four they are guaranteed a CL spot. That’s some motivation for tomorrow.
Not necessarily. If Chelsea win their two games they would have 70 points and if we were to beat Spurs we would have 69. It would then come down to goal difference between us and Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757