Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Here you go Harry, pick your central defensive partner. You can have Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, and this is your team mate at right back, Ashley Young"

"Err no, it's all right mate, I'll stay where I am, thanks"

"Here you go Harry, pick your central defensive partner. You can have Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, and this is your team mate at right back, Ashley Young"

"Err no, it's all right mate, I'll stay where I am, thanks"

I honestly wouldn't go to United if I were him. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Just ask for more money from us and top up your contract if UTD is your other option.

I honestly wouldn't go to United if I were him. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Just ask for more money from us and top up your contract if UTD is your other option.
Although their willingness to pay more than Man City is potentially what may help us keep him, perversely.

It boils down to how much we're spending (net) this summer.

Surveying the gossip, it seems as though Tielemans is almost over the line for around £40m. It also looks like James Justin (£5m) and Callum McGregor (£10m) are likely.

This would take our spending well over anything we've spent before without bringing big money back in. And that's without signing a winger and striker which also seems on the cards.

Either Top has loosened the purse strings or Maguire will be sold.

I just don't see Maguire going to Man Utd. I don't see the draw of that move. Other than the name of the club, there's not really a reason to sign for them - it's not a significant step up from where he is.

If he wants the Man City move, he'd be better off waiting it out to get that move, even if it means waiting another year. Man Utd are a long way off winning the title and I don't see them improving significantly this summer.

£50M? That should make it easy to tell them to **** off.

It's the same game Man City played with Mahrez. They only have one play. Their lying, cheating FFP situation means that they have to depress transfer fees.

They unsettle the player enough that the selling club gives in and takes a lower fee than they were originally asking for. They're probably talking to Maguire's agent and know that he's keen on City and not really Utd. This means that City will apply pressure in the background on the player and wait it out.

Man City operate like the mafia. If they want Maguire, and they're really not being linked strongly with anyone else, they'll get him. Don Pep can have whoever he wants.

It's the same game Man City played with Mahrez. They only have one play. Their lying, cheating FFP situation means that they have to depress transfer fees.

They unsettle the player enough that the selling club gives in and takes a lower fee than they were originally asking for. They're probably talking to Maguire's agent and know that he's keen on City and not really Utd. This means that City will apply pressure in the background on the player and wait it out.

Man City operate like the mafia. If they want Maguire, and they're really not being linked strongly with anyone else, they'll get him. Don Pep can have whoever he wants.
I agree with this but I suspect Maguire is a decent person and will use the ethos and ethics he currently displays to decide morally whether this is the right thing to do.

In my opinion he is going nowhere.

You confuse me by calling that other team City

I know I speak with some degree of bias but in his position I would rather work with Brendan Rodgers.

Oooooo ya bastard, I might get to genuinely boo him

This is either a well informed article which is very believable or a piece of gossip in very bad taste.

It is almost certainly the former as this is a highly regarded and well connected journalist. It is exactly what Vichai has said in the past to other players too.

I think it's safe to accept that unless both Manchester clubs decide that there is better value elsewhere, he'll be playing for one of them from August.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/harry-maguire-set-transfer-leicester-16524968

Maguire was signing his new contract back in September/October, so are we supposed to believe that Vichai was sat with him back then making up some nonsense ‘gentleman’s agreement’ about him leaving nine months later ?

Complete bollocks of the highest order, and bad taste gutter journalism of the very lowest

Unless of course he made the agreement around the contract re signing. Means the club could receive the highest fee.

Maguire was signing his new contract back in September/October, so are we supposed to believe that Vichai was sat with him back then making up some nonsense ‘gentleman’s agreement’ about him leaving nine months later ?

Complete bollocks of the highest order, and bad taste gutter journalism of the very lowest

I think it makes complete sense. Last summer, Man Utd tried to sign Maguire and we had just lost Mahrez. The club were desperately trying to retain Maguire so a promise along these lines would be extremely likely.

'Stay for one more year. We'll improve your contract so that you're not losing out financially. If a club meets our valuation of you next summer, we'll let you go then'.

It's exactly what we're told in previous reports that Vichai said (at different times and with variable success) to Kante, Vardy and Mahrez.

Remember that we also reacted last summer by signing two central defenders quite late for serious money - having already signed Evans. We then shipped out Benkovic on loan only when it became clear that Man Utd had given up.

I think Maguire's first choice would be a move to Man City but he would take a move to Man Utd. If neither worked out, he'd accept staying put again.

However a move is inevitable at some point because we simply cannot compete in terms of wages and other endorsements with what he'd get at either Manchester club.

You mean like what happened with Mahrez when he signed his new contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363