Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal are ready to rival Leicester for Celtic defender Kieran Tierney.

Gunners boss Unai Emery is targeting three signings this summer, with left-back one of the positions he is keen to strengthen.

And Celtic star Tierney, 21, has been identified as a possible solution to his search.

Tierney is also in Leicester ’s sights as they brace themselves for bids for Ben Chilwell.

Daily Star reports more rumours of Maguire to Man Utd. I can definitely see it happening. They reckon around £90m. How much of that goes to Hull?

What kind of fee do you think he'd command? I love the fact we've got someone of his pedigree, English and there's a big hype around him too which of course helps push his price.

I think he'll be a huge miss. For me it's either him or Chilwell in terms of losing a defender in the summer. And then one the following summer if it needs to happen.

The moment Morgan signed an extra year told me that Maguire was going this summer. With Rodgers rating Benkovic highly, there is no place next season for one of either Maguire, Evans or Soyuncu.

We didn't sign Soyuncu and Benkovic for £30m without a clear intention of using them next season. I think Evans has been our best defender this season and will be vital of the next couple of seasons. So Maguire is the one we can sell for loads of money and not really miss that much. Our succession planning in this position has been very good.

I've been consistently critical of Maguire's defending. I like him as a player, his attitude and influence seem to be key. But he's not that good at some basic defensive skills and if we get an offer in excess of £60m, I think we'd be mad not to take it.

We need a mass clear out again this summer. Some of the U23s aren't improving and need to be jettisoned. From the first team squad, we can do without Jakupovic, Simpson, Moore, Elder, Fuchs, King, James, Silva, Slimani, Okazaki, Diabate, Ghezzal and Kapustka. So altogether around 20 we need to try to be shot of. Many of these won't generate much cash but we'd be not far short of getting £100m in if it goes well.

Then I think we need five new players, a left back, two central midfielders, an attacking wide player and a striker. Tielemans is obviously a priority. I think Rodgers will want the left back at Celtic (Tierney) and possibly Sturridge on a free from Liverpool could be a smart move. For the other two, I'd suggest going for Lallana and Sessegnon.

As much as I like Maguire £60m+ for someone so often out of position is just silly. Snap their feckin hands off.

I think he'd be a massive loss. Some of the criticism of him this season has been astoundingly hyperbolic and in truth, he has saved us far more points than he has cost us. Far, far more. Going into next season with an aging Morgan, an aging Evans and two defenders that between them have played about 3 games for us seems abhorrently short sighted. I can't see it being a choice between the two but if it is I'd let Chilwell go every time. His defending is still suspect at best. Yes, he gets forward well but not always with any end product. Don't get me wrong, Chilwell is a very talented young man but he's not a patch on Maguire as a fully rounded footballer. There's a reason top, top clubs will be willing to get close to their transfer records to sign Maguire this season and it isn't because he can't defend.

we need to make a statement by keeping all our England starlets and if anything adding to them, you want to break the big 6 you have to start acting like you belong there by not selling them one of your best players every season
I agree. I was just answering an either/or scenario though.

we need to make a statement by keeping all our England starlets and if anything adding to them, you want to break the big 6 you have to start acting like you belong there by not selling them one of your best players every season

Agreed.

The only issue is no matter how big our ambition is at the moment, we will have some players who will be attracting attention from and understandably wanting to go to the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool etc.

I reckon our ambitions will be achieved by young, exciting players who we don't yet have that hype rather than the likes of Maguire who's been great for us for two seasons now and Chilwell who's notched a good, definitive season under his belt this year.

I can't wait for see Benkovic in action.

We should sell Maguire and keep Ghezzal as he has “fantastic potential” even though he’s 26 years old and always looks like he’s never played football before.

FFS the silly season has started already.

Our net transfer spend each season since we've come up averages out at about £30m:

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/leicester-city/english-football-teams/leicester-city-transfers

14/15 = £20m; 15/16 = £29m; 16/17 = £47m; 17/18 = £43m; 18/19 = £11m

So, with the cost of sacking Puel and recruiting Rodgers in excess of £10m and with a £100m training ground to pay for, I cannot see us spending much net this summer - £30m would be generous.

So, for those that would keep Maguire, you're either going to have to sell someone else worth plenty or we cannot possibly afford to make significant additions - for example, there is no chance we could sign Tielemans.
In an ideal world, you obviously keep all your best assets and buy more, but that's not realistic.

With Benkovic coming in anyway, I think we're far more in need of spending further up the pitch and can afford to lose Maguire in order to do it.

The Maguire or Chilwell argument is a rationale one. But I think Maguire will be looking to move this summer whereas Chilwell will be happy to stay a bit longer.

So, for those that would keep Maguire, you're either going to have to sell someone else worth plenty or we cannot possibly afford to make significant additions - for example, there is no chance we could sign Tielemans.
You have absolutely no idea that this is the case at all. Painting your suppositions as fact doesn't do you any favours.

Rodgers wouldn’t have come if he thought we were skint - or that we would have to sell our star players before he could get anybody in

I think we’ll be (net) spending big this summer

All of you are wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861