Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in favour of selling Maguire this summer if the owners are not putting any money into the club, i.e. they are doing the same as every year since 2014 and expecting the club to be self-sufficient in the transfer market.

Man City need a left sided central defender and I rate Maguire higher than I do Stones or Otamendi. Man Utd would be substantially improved with Maguire in their defence. A bidding war could push the fee over £70m.

However, there is speculation suggesting that Top is putting substantial transfer funds in this summer. This would make sense given the change of manager and expressed desire to push the club on. We simply cannot realistically do this in any other way without making a large amount from sales that is superbly reinvested.

So, if the money is there to recruit quality players without selling, I'd keep Maguire. He's a big asset and it makes no sense to sell a player that makes a rival stronger.

FFP rules state that a Premier League club cannot exceed a loss of £105m over any three year period. Therefore, the club cannot gamble by spending beyond their means if they feel that there is any remote chance of the side getting relegated over this period. Then the shit really does hit the fan. The investment only makes sense when the club is sufficiently established that there is little to no chance that we'd get dragged down.

We're currently 20/1 to go down next season and it does feel as though we've got a buffer in terms of quality that would make a relegation struggle extremely unlikely over this time, unless we do something incredibly stupid.

This would make this summer the ideal time to invest and retain all our best players.
Perfect. I'd prefer we get the money by selling Chilwell if we HAVE to sell but I know I'm in the minority.

If, as you say, we can have our cake and eat it then it will be a fantastic show of ambition from us.

I'm hoping we keep hold of both, but I definitely think we'd be better off selling Maguire rather than Chilwell.

Both are very good players, but I actually think we don't fully utilise all of Maguire's skills, and therefore we have a rare situation where he's more valuable to potential buyers than he is to us.

Part of Maguire's talent - and what catches everyone else's eye - is his ability on the ball and the way he can bring the ball forward as a CB. We still play a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 where he doesn't fully have the freedom to do that for us. If Maguire goes on a maurading run forwards, he leaves us exposed because we have very attacking full backs, only one other centre back and our defensive mids aren't really experienced enough to drop in and cover.

For a team like Man City though, that will be a huge part of why they want him. They often play a back 3 where he'd have more opportunity to do that. They also control possession more and have a quality DM in Fernandinho who will cover those runs.

For us, we're not really utilising that part of Maguire's game. So for us, he is a very good centre back, but that's replaceable. If we sold him for £50-70m, I imagine we could find a suitable replacement defensively for no more than £20m.

Chilwell for me falls more into the Mahrez/Kante mould, particularly given his age, where he's very good at what he does and the role we want him to play, and we'd struggle to sign a replacement who is as good.

Tell them all to **** off. Spend 150 million. Crack the top 4.

Chelsea are ****ed, United too. Spurs are wimps and Arsenal can't defend.

Get after them.

Tell them all to **** off. Spend 150 million. Crack the top 4.

Chelsea are ****ed, United too. Spurs are wimps and Arsenal can't defend.

Get after them.
“Our plan is to keep the players we have and then add some more quality.” - Brendan Rogers

Our squad is worth a ****ing fortune:

Kasper
Ricardo
Maguire
Chilwell
Ndidi
Maddison
Barnes
Gray (sort of)

Are all very high value assets. And that's before you talk about Vardy, who is irreplaceable, and Tielemans should we pull that off.

Remarkable really.

That’s all well and good. But do you have any quotes from our manager?
Are you suggesting the Leicester Mercury would put something in quotation marks (thereby attributing it to be a direct quote from Brendan Rogers) and it not actually be something he has said? Scandalous sir. Scandalous.

“Our plan is to keep the players we have and then add some more quality.” - Brendan Rogers

Doesn't fit the media narrative, or that of some insane fans who think we have to sell everyone to progress

Going to be a long old summer of endless stories about Maguire, Chilwell, Ndidi and Madison being sold to the 'big' Clubs

As alex is sick of me saying to him on a Friday night..."brace yourself"

Sell them all, pay for the training ground and stadium expansion outright, then go on a piss up with the change.

Doesn't fit the media narrative, or that of some insane fans who think we have to sell everyone to progress

Going to be a long old summer of endless stories about Maguire, Chilwell, Ndidi and Madison being sold to the 'big' Clubs

As alex is sick of me saying to him on a Friday night..."brace yourself"
It really will. If the club want Europe they have to put their balls on the block.

Hallefuckinglujah!
Is that not Pep's master plan he did it at every other league he was in just bought the opposition, simples!!! We did it with Mahrez Maguire and Co should be told no sale until the end of next season. The fact that the top six are after our players shows we are at the same level and we are poised to surpass them.

No sale for me and Brendan to strengthen could see us competing for a top 4 slot next year.

We can want to keep players but if their heads are turned, we've shown that we cannot resist.

See Drinkwater and Mahrez over the last two summers.

It really depends what the player and their representatives think about staying put versus chasing the money and a better chance of trophies.

See Drinkwater and Mahrez over the last two summers.
I see them. I see the opportunity that they have been given since they left. I wonder about the current state of their mental health. I am sure that some way could be found to make our wannagoes have some concern for their own futures.

I see them. I see the opportunity that they have been given since they left. I wonder about the current state of their mental health. I am sure that some way could be found to make our wannagoes have some concern for their own futures.

I'd dispute putting those two in the same bucket from a "success of move" perspective. While Mahrez isn't the first name on the team sheet at City he did play nearly 40 times for them this season and contributed 10 odd goals.

Are you suggesting the Leicester Mercury would put something in quotation marks (thereby attributing it to be a direct quote from Brendan Rogers) and it not actually be something he has said? Scandalous sir. Scandalous.
No I was suggesting we don’t have a manager called Brendan Rogers.

Our squad is worth a ****ing fortune:

Kasper
Ricardo
Maguire
Chilwell
Ndidi
Maddison
Barnes
Gray (sort of)

Are all very high value assets. And that's before you talk about Vardy, who is irreplaceable, and Tielemans should we pull that off.

Remarkable really.

Not to mention Vardy, who whilst not an asset that Man City will be coming in for, has proven to be able to score circa 20 goals a season in the PL on a consistent basis.

I reckon Maguire will be off.

Now that Kompany has left he would be a solid replacement. Big, strong, technically excellent, with time to still grow and learn, but being experienced enough in the Premier League and International. Plus he would be part of their English quota.

Let's hope they look elsewhere but with Kompany gone, and Man Utd's defence absolute shite, I think it would be the biggest coup of the summer should we manage to hold on to him.

Listening to talk Spurs driving to work this morning was fuming listening to Brazil and Ray Parlour chatting to Martin Lipton all of them saying Maguire is worth 60 million tops and he will be going to Man City.

£100m and ill talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758