Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s “money” and there’s “money”, to be fair, MA. Would you leave something like £170k per week on the table?

All relative to what you already have in the coffers. From what I can see Danny Drinkwater doesn't seem to be enjoying his extra cash.

Somebody said something to me once that I thought was quite clever: "money is easy to make if all you care about is making money".

It become pretty irrelevant at the point where you could do or buy anything you could ever want immediately regardless.

At that point it should be what brings you most joy, making the CL with the Leicester lads, or failing horrifically with a bunch of pretenders and jumped up wankers (Pogba) at Old Trafford.

Money money money, insipid greed makes you a **** past a certain level.
Easy to say.

All relative to what you already have in the coffers. From what I can see Danny Drinkwater doesn't seem to be enjoying his extra cash.

Somebody said something to me once that I thought was quite clever: "money is easy to make if all you care about is making money".
Maybe so, but we don't live in "their world", so it's very difficult to put yourselves in their shoes.

Personally if Maguire is sold for north of 80 million then I won't be to bothered as I think he is very suspect defending, yeah every now & then he has a mazy run up the pitch which looks great, we won the league with Huth & Morgan both proper defenders but neither great passers of the ball, so sell & move on & let Mank utd have another overpriced meh player that they will never shift of that contract when he gets found out

The Maguire to Utd chat is definitely getting louder. And I have to say, if the twats at Sky Bet hadn't run it, I suspect we'd have said no and United would have moved on to other targets. Modern football is often disappointing.

Maybe so, but we don't live in "their world", so it's very difficult to put yourselves in their shoes.
The difference of course isn't now, it's later. Upping your salary from 80k to 250k means either you go really nuts whilst you're employed, or you can live on the equivalent of 80k for 3 times longer.

On a footballing note rather than this boring money debate.

Harry is clearly a great player, the one thing that frustrated me was how often we still looked suspect in the air at the back, he was beating far too regularly for my liking.

He's undoubtedly a fun player to have, I just don't think he's irreplaceable, and I certainly don't think he puts Utd out of our reach in league position.

I would rather lose him than any of the others in our up and coming squad, I just hope it's done as quickly as possible.

Easy to live by as well.
I don't doubt that, but, like it or not, we're all bound to have at least a slightly blue tinted view on this, whether we care to admit it or not. Our viewpoint on this isn't always the same as theirs.

On a footballing note rather than this boring money debate.

Harry is clearly a great player, the one thing that frustrated me was how often we still looked suspect in the air at the back, he was beating far too regularly for my liking.

He's undoubtedly a fun player to have, I just don't think he's irreplaceable, and I certainly don't think he puts Utd out of our reach in league position.

I would rather lose him than any of the others in our up and coming squad, I just hope it's done as quickly as possible.
I agree. I don't think we'd like to lose any player who we consider a first-teamer, but, if it has to be one player, Maguire at the sort of amount that is being quoted is probably the most palatable.

the Maguire "news" has yet to be picked up by anyone else as far as I can tell, you would think they would have jumped on it

Why would he move to Man United? Is that actually a genuine question?

Even forgetting the tripling of his salary, he’ll be playing for the most illustrious club in England and one of the biggest clubs in the world. Yes ok they’re currently going through a dodgy spell, but sooner or later they’ll get rid of Ole and some of the ****s in the team, and they’ll be right back in the English elite.

Their fan base, their stadium, their facilities, their history - all make ours pale into significance.

I can imagine most footballers grow up dreaming that one day they could play for Manchester United.

Can’t blame Harry in the slightest, but let’s get it done quick. We HAVE to get in a replacement - either Dunk or Ake will be just fine.

None of which are anywhere near as good as Maguire

So we weaken the team straight away
Absolutely. I simply can't believe the apathy about Maguire's potential depature. All this bollocks about him being our 4th, 5th, 20th best defender and that he's shit at this and average at that is just nonsense. He was England's best defender at the WC and one of the best on show full stop. He saved us far, far more points last year than he cost us and he is pretty impossible to replace. Dunk, Tarkowski, Ake, Benkovic, Soyuncu... None of these players come close to being in the same bracket as Maguire hence why they are not subject to massive bids from the likes of United. There's a reason big clubs are looking to buy him and for a massive wedge of cash.

This season is so promising and there is so much potential. As it stands, we look a real outfit and capable of breaking into that top 6. However, swap out Maguire for any of the names above and the odds of that decline.

I really don't see the point in buying another CB when we bought 2 last summer for exactly this reason, to replace Maguire
You'd be happy to start the season with an ageing Evans partnered by either a player we haven't seen play for us before and spent last year playing Scottish football or on the injury table, or a player with a handful of appearences for us none of which were fabulous?

Mental beyond mental.

Weaken ourselves significantly, and immediately strengthen one of our direct rivals

Brilliant stuff

There is no replacement in the world for Harry, might as well pack up and **** off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263