Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd be happy to start the season with an ageing Evans partnered by either a player we haven't seen play for us before and spent last year playing Scottish football or on the injury table, or a player with a handful of appearences for us none of which were fabulous?

Mental beyond mental.
as apposed to Lewis Dunk who was playing in an ultra defensive system or Ake who played in one of the worst defences, both of whom would likely cost at least half of what ever fee we get for Maguire.

Benkovic worked with Rodgers at Celtic and was getting comparisons to VVD from his time at Celtic by their fans, limited minutes but I liked what I saw from Soyuncu too, so instead of blowing £40-50m lets use one of them and spend that money on a winger and a striker

as apposed to Lewis Dunk who was playing in an ultra defensive system or Ake who played in one of the worst defences, both of whom would likely cost at least half of what ever fee we get for Maguire.

Benkovic worked with Rodgers at Celtic and was getting comparisons to VVD from his time at Celtic by their fans, limited minutes but I liked what I saw from Soyuncu too, so instead of blowing £40-50m lets use one of them and spend that money on a winger and a striker
I agree.

There is no replacement in the world for Harry, might as well pack up and **** off
I was clearly alluding to the fact that WE would find it almost impossible to replace him. Players of his quality are out of our grasp. We took a punt on Maguire and it worked out. If we wanted him now at his current level from a different club it'd be a pipe dream.

the Glasgow central is hardly a high standard of competition, the championship has a higher standard IMO. he may be a cracking player however, it will be a punt to throw him straight in.

to sell Maguire is madness as Arsenal Man Utd and Chelsea are treading water, it is important we as a club seize this opportunity and exploit their inability to strengthen.

the Glasgow central is hardly a high standard of competition, the championship has a higher standard IMO. he may be a cracking player however, it will be a punt to throw him straight in.

to sell Maguire is madness as Arsenal Man Utd and Chelsea are treading water, it is important we as a club seize this opportunity and exploit their inability to strengthen.
But if Harry would like to go and we get offered ridiculous money we might be best doing the deal.

You'd be happy to start the season with an ageing Evans partnered by either a player we haven't seen play for us before and spent last year playing Scottish football or on the injury table, or a player with a handful of appearences for us none of which were fabulous?

Mental beyond mental.

More mental to sign two very highly regarded central defenders one summer (for over £30m), then spend a year developing both of them to adapt to British football, only to completely disregard them when we need a central defender.

And I would argue that Evans is at his peak as a defender right now. He's 31 for fecks sake, not 35. Evans is in fact the exact same age as Morgan was in summer 2015.

The only reason to spend more money on central defenders if Maguire leaves, is if Rodgers doesn't rate either Soyuncu or Benkovic. And from his comments about both, we know that's not true.

Both have proven themselves more than capable in the PL even if they aren't up to the standard of HM. I couldn't care less about any comparisons Celtic fans wanted to make, defending against attackers in Scotland is akin to playing baseball with a tennis racket. Soyuncu looks okay but that's where it stops for now.

Like I said, it's ****ing madness to go into next season without Maguire or a decent new signing. It'd take the shine off what has been an excellent summer thus far.

Weaken ourselves significantly, and immediately strengthen one of our direct rivals

Brilliant stuff

I agree if we have a choice.

However, it appears that Maguire has made his wish to move to Man Utd clear to the owners who agreed to sell him this summer if their valuation was met.

Now that choice isn't so straightforward.

We can either keep an unhappy player or let him go. You cannot seriously expect us to say 'Harry, you can get £250k a week there, but we're not going to let you have that. We're going to ask you to be happy staying at a club where you have no reason whatsoever to be loyal on £80k'.

If we could sell him to Spain for the same fee, we'd love to. However, there is no chance of that happening so we have to strengthen an opponent.

More mental to sign two very highly regarded central defenders one summer (for over £30m), then spend a year developing both of them to adapt to British football, only to completely disregard them a year later when we need a central defender.

And I would argue that Evans is at his peak as a defender right now. He's 31 for fecks sake, not 35. Evans is in fact the exact same age as Morgan was in summer 2015.

The only reason to spend more money on central defenders if Maguire leaves, is if Rodgers doesn't rate either Soyuncu or Benkovic. And from his comments about both, we know that's not true.
Yes. Much more. We haven't developed either of them even nearly enough to have any idea about them. One of them was shipped out to a team playing the equivalent of Barnsley every week whilst the other managed a handful of performances in one offs here and there. To suggest we have 'developed' them is stretching the truth somewhat.

You have absolutely no idea what Rodgers thinks of Soyuncu and neither do I. What he says to journalists and what he thinks are more than likely chalk and cheese. He obviously likes Benkovic but that league and the team he was managing are a world apart from ours.

Of course, it could go fantastically well and they could both be world beaters who make us stronger but given that, if this is not true, we will have to wait until the next window to rectify the situation I'm not sure it's a risk worth taking.

I wasn't suggesting that Evans is over the hill, merely that he is ageing at 31 and perhaps may be more prone to the odd niggle here and there. I for one feel better in the knowledge that there is an experienced, proven defender ready to lead the line if this were the case. Morgan isn't that guy any more.

Yes. Much more. We haven't developed either of them even nearly enough to have any idea about them. One of them was shipped out to a team playing the equivalent of Barnsley every week whilst the other managed a handful of performances in one offs here and there. To suggest we have 'developed' them is stretching the truth somewhat.

You have absolutely no idea what Rodgers thinks of Soyuncu and neither do I. What he says to journalists and what he thinks are more than likely chalk and cheese. He obviously likes Benkovic but that league and the team he was managing are a world apart from ours.

Of course, it could go fantastically well and they could both be world beaters who make us stronger but given that, if this is not true, we will have to wait until the next window to rectify the situation I'm not sure it's a risk worth taking.

I wasn't suggesting that Evans is over the hill, merely that he is ageing at 31 and perhaps may be more prone to the odd niggle here and there. I for one feel better in the knowledge that there is an experienced, proven defender ready to lead the line if this were the case. Morgan isn't that guy any more.

How long had Maguire been ripping it up in the PL before we signed him and whacked him straight in the starting lineup?

Christ it really is the silly season here. Some saying Dunk and Ake can’t replace Maguire yet some are saying that Benkovic and Soyuncu can.

Benkovic should stay and be an option off the bench. But anyone who watched Soyuncu last season can clearly see he’s not ready for this league yet. He’s a bomb scare. He still has potential so a loan move away would be ideal.

Christ it really is the silly season here. Some saying Dunk and Ake can’t replace Maguire yet some are saying that Benkovic and Soyuncu can.

Benkovic should stay and be an option off the bench. But anyone who watched Soyuncu last season can clearly see he’s not ready for this league yet. He’s a bomb scare. He still has potential so a loan move away would be ideal.
no I'm saying I don't see the need to pay £40m-50m for either of them when we have 2 CBs here already when we need a top class winger and a striker

How long had Maguire been ripping it up in the PL before we signed him and whacked him straight in the starting lineup?
Take a look further up at my response to you earlier. I've covered this and can't be bothered to do it again.

IMO give Soyuncu or Benkovica chance if Maguire leaves. We've scouted these players, we've integrated them and given them time to settle (learn the language, find somewhere to live etc). They weren't going to get into the team before the player they were bought to replace last season (Maguire). But they now need game time and if Maguire goes they should do what they were bought too do.

Why would he move to Man United? Is that actually a genuine question?

Even forgetting the tripling of his salary, he’ll be playing for the most illustrious club in England and one of the biggest clubs in the world. Yes ok they’re currently going through a dodgy spell, but sooner or later they’ll get rid of Ole and some of the ****s in the team, and they’ll be right back in the English elite.

Their fan base, their stadium, their facilities, their history - all make ours pale into significance.

I can imagine most footballers grow up dreaming that one day they could play for Manchester United.

Can’t blame Harry in the slightest, but let’s get it done quick. We HAVE to get in a replacement - either Dunk or Ake will be just fine.

I agree with the last statement but I also think Benkovic staying is a sign that BR may well think he's ready to play in the PL. He's best placed to say so given he managed him all last season. Having said that, j wouldn't want any gambles this season and signing that replacement is a must.

Why spend all this money on the rest of the team and then gamble on the defence by giving what we've got a go?

Soyuncu hasn't look anywhere near good enough yet and I think there's a good chance he will go on loan.

Benkovic is a maybe but it would be a risk still.

Morgan will be phased out more and more this season, and Jonny Evans won't be fit all season.

If Maguire leaves, we need a replacement. Tarkowski and Dunk wouldn't be bad options but they aren't as good as Maguire - but we can't expect to sign someone of that level unfortunately. We need to buy players and improve them generally.

Big if on Maguire still to me though. Ive been following the source BN quoted too for a few weeks and I'm not convinced he's reliable. Also think if he was right, others would've reported it by now too.

We can't gamble this season.

Finally we have what seems to be a manager and a squad, especially a first team, who look like they can compete. If they perform like they did last season, it's gonna be difficult to keep Maddison, Tielemans, NDidi, Chilwell, Ricardo, as proven by HM seemingly and understandably looking to transfer to one of the biggest clubs in the world.

So this is the season, for me, which will propel us to where we could have been after the miracle season. The lack of progression (in some aspects) is what it is though and we look forward. We have a great shot at upsetting the apple cart and pushing on as a football club, so let's give it all we've got.

I'd say Benkovic on the bench to begin with, Soyuncu on loan to a good side to develop for next season and gain confidence, and imo we need to sign a solid, reliable, fit and strong CB who has the potential to play rather than hoof only, and who can develop his game with us.

I've not been this excited since we were in the Champions League Quarter Finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757