Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they had bought him and we'd got Robertson. This post isn't saying that Chilwell is crap but that Robertson is a better player.
Holy flaps, Robertson is in a different dimension to Chilwell.

Chilwell can put in some eye catching performances. There are times when he looks a very good player. These, however, are all too few and far between. His defending is mediocre at best and it simply hasn't improved over the last 3 seasons or so. That's a major problem. His crossing is also poor most of the time and once again, it doesn't seem to improve. He has improved his game in terms of running with the ball and some link up play which is great but it's not enough.

Don't the jocks hate him though?

Sounds like he always gets found out in their games and isn't too dissimilar to Chilwell at all in that he is better at attacking than defending.

Difference being, we do a hell of a lot more defending than Liverpool.

If Chilwell moved to a top 4 team he'd have less defending to do and more chance to attack etc.

Sounds like he always gets found out in their games and isn't too dissimilar to Chilwell at all in that he is better at attacking than defending.

If Chilwell moved to a top 4 team he'd have less defending to do and more chance to attack etc.

Not only that we have to do a lot more defending, but also that Liverpool's defence (Van Dijk) is much better, so Robertson is less likely to be noticeably exposed in the same way Chilwell can be.

Man City signed Rodwell and Chelsea signed Drinkwater. Just two examples of the prowess these two have when it comes to signing players. Both are just hoovers of players who may or may not pan out.

Again, bizarre. Rodwell signed for Man City in 2012...

Some of the players Liverpool have signed in the last 8 years include Andy Lonergan, Loris Karius, Dominic Solanke, Christian Benteke, Alberto Moreno...

So again, I'm not really sure why Liverpool wanting Jamal Lewis as back-up left back is a sign of his quality, yet Chelsea, Man City & Liverpool all having looked at Chilwell doesn't mean a thing and he's crap.

Everyone is so shit scared of attacking Liverpool that they could play any old ****er at the back.

PL is full of coward teams who get beat anyway. Liverpool can be got at defensively it's just that most dare not cross the halfway line.

Salah, Firminho and Mane are the best defensive players Liverpool have got.

Again, bizarre. Rodwell signed for Man City in 2012...

Some of the players Liverpool have signed in the last 8 years include Andy Lonergan, Loris Karius, Dominic Solanke, Christian Benteke, Alberto Moreno...

So again, I'm not really sure why Liverpool wanting Jamal Lewis as back-up left back is a sign of his quality, yet Chelsea, Man City & Liverpool all having looked at Chilwell doesn't mean a thing and he's crap.
You're missing the point entirely either deliberately or cognitively. My point about Liverpool looking at him wasn't suggesting that this made him a perfect player for us, more that he must have caught the eye of more than just me. I wasn't suggesting that Liverpool are an arbiter of quality but that Lewis had obviously done more than whimper his way out of the PL and that me having seen something in him as a good PL player wasn't strange. This is also the case for Chelsea and Manchester City of course; they may have spotted something they like in Chilwell, but they aren't a benchmark for quality decision making either.

It's not that difficult to follow, it really isn't.

Then he's still not for us regardless. If we need someone who can defend, why would we want to keep hold of Chilwell? The fact is, whether you rate him or not, we should cash in on him whilst his stock is high and buy someone best suited to what we need.

Holy flaps, Robertson is in a different dimension to Chilwell.

Chilwell can put in some eye catching performances. There are times when he looks a very good player. These, however, are all too few and far between. His defending is mediocre at best and it simply hasn't improved over the last 3 seasons or so. That's a major problem. His crossing is also poor most of the time and once again, it doesn't seem to improve. He has improved his game in terms of running with the ball and some link up play which is great but it's not enough.

Just one point on crossing. You'd imagine in your anti-Chilwell fury, that his success rate from crosses is worse than Robertson wouldn't you? Worse than Ricardo surely?

Wrong and wrong.

Chilwell is every bit as good as Robertson which is why Klopp tried to sign him before going for Robertson.

That's also why Chelsea, Man City, Spurs and Man Utd would take Chilwell over their options like a shot. The only thing keeping Chilwell here is his pricetag.

Just one point on crossing. You'd imagine in your anti-Chilwell fury, that his success rate from crosses is worse than Robertson wouldn't you? Worse than Ricardo surely?

Wrong and wrong.

Chilwell is every bit as good as Robertson which is why Klopp tried to sign him before going for Robertson.

That's also why Chelsea, Man City, Spurs and Man Utd would take Chilwell over their options like a shot. The only thing keeping Chilwell here is his pricetag.
Fury? I'm not sure you understand how to use that word properly so I'd stick to words of one syllable in the future if I were you. Secondly, how are you rating successes? Goals scored from crosses? Chances created? Crosses that beat the first man? Ratio of crosses made to a team mate in a dangerous position compared to chances of doing this? It isn't easily quantifiable however you wish to swing it. Even if it was I am much more interested in his lack of defensive know how and his piss poor positioning match after match after match. Whether other teams would take him or not is irrelevant. Read the post I wrote prior to this one. If he fits another team better then great but we need a defender and he isn't one. I am sure he may shine in a Manchester City team where he can get away with not being able to defend properly but we aren't Manchester City. I don't care if he goes to them or Chelsea and performs brilliantly; he hasn't for us and he won't.

You're so sure that a host of clubs would give their left bollock for him and yet nothing, nada, zip in terms of serious bids or intent from anyone over the last 3 seasons or so. I mean, you've shown yourself quick to believe any old tittle tattle in the Daily Mail and you like to think yourself an expert in all things football but had Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United et al, wanted him that badly they would have had him. They didn't. There won't be a bidding war for him this season either. Stop believing everything you read. If the only thing keeping him here is his price tag then fine but that doesn't make him a good fit for us, magically.

Now have a bath and a biscuit and stop scouring the interwebz for smashing Chilwell statistics.

Makes me smile when the press say Whomever buys chillwell will have to make him the most expensive "defender" in the world.
He is the worst defender at our club by a country mile.
If what they mean is somebody that is left footed, occasionally puts in a decent cross, scores a couple of times a season, can't defend, losses possession a lot and plays really well about 5 times a season then Chilwell is your man.
Please don't laugh until the cheque has cleared. The only reason Chilwell is still at Leicester is because he is very average and nobody is stupid enough to pay the figures being quoted. (Fat Frank is that stupid)

OK.

Watch the 4-0 home defeat by Liverpool and see just how good the most expensive defender in the world is.

OK.

Watch the 4-0 home defeat by Liverpool and see just how good the most expensive defender in the world is.
I was there, I know what he was like. The most expensive defender in the world is Harry Maguire. Like Maguire, Chilwell is capable of poor games and has faults, but you defeat the points you’re trying to make if you suggest he’s closer to Rogers.

I was there, I know what he was like. The most expensive defender in the world is Harry Maguire. Like Maguire, Chilwell is capable of poor games and has faults, but you defeat the points you’re trying to make if you suggest he’s closer to Rogers.
It’s Rodgers.

Out of the 4 match starting defenders we have Evans, Soyuncu, Ricardo and Chilwell, Chilwell would be the least missed if sold.

You mentioned AR and I was suggesting Chilwell is nearer being average than world class.
I go to most games and Chilwell has had more poor and average games than good or brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757