Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I made an assumption that there was spelling pedantry in play. I should’ve known that wasn’t it. We don’t go in for those shenanigans on this forum. I’m guessing that in reality you were questioning Rob Dorsett’s credibility. I agree, Sky are shite.

I am having a mare tonight.

:icon eek:

Reckon it’ll be a CB next. Probably another youngster like Fofana (or whatever his name was).

Still think we then need a winger.

Reckon it’ll be a CB next. Probably another youngster like Fofana (or whatever his name was).

Still think we then need a winger.

It's crucial to us having a chance of winning when we aren't at our best to have a game-changing, something out of nothing, sort of attacker preferably with lots of pace.

I reckon McNeil will be coming.

It's crucial to us having a chance of winning when we aren't at our best to have a game-changing, something out of nothing, sort of attacker preferably with lots of pace.

I reckon McNeil will be coming.

McNeil doesn't really have pace in terms of a winger.

Or ability.

Demari Gray would look a world beater in that Burnley team.

Does anyone know much about how good or bad Timmy is? He played against us last august in a PSF at the KP for the full duration of the match. Did anyone attend? Also last season was he average or injured? 33 total appearances out of 47 matches played for Atalanta, where was he for almost a third of the 47?

Tbh I'm not so sure about him. I'm not interested in playing so called "versatile" players. Much like my apprehension towards shampoo-conditioner, I want one or the other, not both mixed in the same bottle thus diluting the quality of the shampoo and the conditioner.

This is the same issue I have with players like Amartey or even Perez. You're either a striker or you're not. Don't get me wrong, you can play decently in multiple positions like Perez does but if you buy someone, you want to utilise them in their single best position. He should be signed purely for that reason and not because of versatility.

McNeil doesn't really have pace in terms of a winger.
I didn't say he did.

I reckon he's about average speed for a winger. I reckon off the ball he isn't that quick, but he has a decent ability to run with the ball and beat his man.

Or ability.

Demari Gray would look a world beater in that Burnley team.

Sure, but McNeil is vastly superior to Gray imo. And it's good to remember that McNeil plays in that team, but not against it - he plays against other teams like Liverpool and Man City, so his ability regardless of which teams he plays in is more important to assess. I wouldn't be distraught if we signed him, just not overly excited.

I'm not interested in playing so called "versatile" players. Much like my apprehension towards shampoo-conditioner, I want one or the other, not both mixed in the same bottle thus diluting the quality of the shampoo and the conditioner.

This is the same issue I have with players like Amartey or even Perez. You're either a striker or you're not. Don't get me wrong, you can play decently in multiple positions like Perez does but if you buy someone, you want to utilise them in their single best position. He should be signed purely for that reason and not because of versatility.
Eh?

I want an out and out LB or LWB or striker or CB. I don't want a LB who plays mainly on the right. I don't want a CB who usually plays as a CDM but can also play CB from time-to-time. I don't want an all-in-one. I want us to sign a CB who's only job is to play CB. That they know this role inside out and that's where they hone their craft, learn their trade and play every single match. Different positions on the pitch require different skills, disciplines, positional awareness etc.

I think about a player like Amartey. What is his actual position? I've seen him play RB, CB, CDM, and CM. All our best players stick to one position. Vardy is a striker, nothing else. Each time he's played on the wing he wasn't used to his full potential. Ndidi - he's a CDM and that's his job and should be his only job. Evans is a CB and is excellent there.

I don't know, perhaps I'm not being clear. It just seems like a bit of a let-down signing players who are positively labeled as "versatile" which for me is code for "average" or "we don't know his best position" or "perfect if we get some injuries." I believe it means they're not excellent at anything.

I want an out and out LB or LWB or striker or CB. I don't want a LB who plays mainly on the right. I don't want a CB who usually plays as a CDM but can also play CB from time-to-time. I don't want an all-in-one. I want us to sign a CB who's only job is to play CB. That they know this role inside out and that's where they hone their craft, learn their trade and play every single match. Different positions on the pitch require different skills, disciplines, positional awareness etc.

I think about a player like Amartey. What is his actual position? I've seen him play RB, CB, CDM, and CM. All our best players stick to one position. Vardy is a striker, nothing else. Each time he's played on the wing he wasn't used to his full potential. Ndidi - he's a CDM and that's his job and should be his only job. Evans is a CB and is excellent there.

I don't know, perhaps I'm not being clear. It just seems like a bit of a let-down signing players who are positively labeled as "versatile" which for me is code for "average" or "we don't know his best position" or "perfect if we get some injuries." I believe it means they're not excellent at anything.
I think you’ve got a point. When we won the league we did it with 11 players who knew exactly who they were, where they played, what their strengths were. Versatility is overrated in football.

What you’re describing belongs to an incredibly simplistic view of the game. Footballers aren’t just “a centre back” or “a winger”. Every position on a football pitch has countless variations, and all of these variations share varying degrees of overlap in required skills. Players who can only do one thing are close to useless.

I wouldn’t want to see us with a squad full of world class players who are suddenly flummoxed when asked to do something slightly different.

Not really, no. Do you imagine he’ll suddenly need to learn to play football again from scratch if Frank Lampard tells him to play ten yards further forward or stay in his own half or pass to the right side of the pitch?

Not really, no. Do you imagine he’ll suddenly need to learn to play football again from scratch if Frank Lampard tells him to play ten yards further forward or stay in his own half or pass to the right side of the pitch?

He'll be ****ed if he tells him to defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366