Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2021 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume at this stage that any meaningful signings will depend on outgoings. Whilst our squad is obviously still very light compared to the Big 6, I can't imagine there will be any further spending on the first XI unless we sell a major player.

Compared to last season, at present we've lost 4 fringe (or worse) players in Morgan, Fuchs, Under and James. With 3 signings who will all be competing for the first 16, we've theoretically improved already (ignoring long term injuries).
It’s criminal that Matty James has only just left.

101 appearances in 9 years says Wikipedia. 15 in the last six years. What a complete load of wasted cash.

I think that if not for an appealing run of injuries he would have been a decent player for us. Especially with a manager like BR to hep his development.

I think that if not for an appealing run of injuries he would have been a decent player for us. Especially with a manager like BR to hep his development.

Always a Matty James fan, seeing him as the best of all the Fergie Fledglings NP apparently wheedled out of his mate SAF. But even as he signed for us, I think someone on here posted stuff from the Red Devils forum - summarised as huge potential, career wrecked by bad injuries. His horrendous injuries were all sustained in a seemingly innocuous way during games against Southampton and Chelsea - moaning about a player being injured playing for the team seems a bit off, and even in his last run in the team in between lay offs, seemed very comfortable at the top level, though restricted to a water carrier apparently there mainly to mop up Wilf's faux pas (at the time there were quite a few of these).

Still think the million fee plus the wages was vfm, if his extended contract had been signed after the last of his injuries rather than before, the criticism (of the club - not him) might have a shred of credence.

I don't disagree, my problem is that we continued giving him 3 year contracts even when we knew he played about one game in 17.
It's not remotely enough to justify dropping 30k a week on a player.

Shaqiri Shaqiri has handed in a transfer request at Liverpool, and they've said they'll listen to offers for him.

Could he be an option for our left footed right midfielder hole?

I've not seen him playing in a while.

I'd be surprised if we're interested in a loan deal.

He's not really worth much but Newcastle can't pay what we want.

If he goes there and has a good loan then his value will increase due to being a young English midfielder in a sought after position

Shaqiri Shaqiri has handed in a transfer request at Liverpool, and they've said they'll listen to offers for him.

Could he be an option for our left footed right midfielder hole?

I've not seen him playing in a while.
Looked decent at the Euros. He’s a feisty little bastard and I’ve always thought it’s been a massive waste him being a backup player at Liverpool.

Got a feeling he’d be a dickhead off the pitch but I’d defo take him here.

I don’t think he was ever good enough for the Premier League and with the best coaching in the world and had he never been injured he’d get nowhere near our current first 11.

Drinkwater is clearly mentally deficient. But he was the best of those Man Utd signings that Pearson was so keen on.

I don’t think he was ever good enough for the Premier League and with the best coaching in the world and had he never been injured he’d get nowhere near our current first 11.

Drinkwater is clearly mentally deficient. But he was the best of those Man Utd signings that Pearson was so keen on.

Matty James was ahead of Drinkwater in our first season back in the PL.

Drinkwater only got back in the side when James was injured and Cambiasso left. Maybe that worked out for us; maybe Drinkwater was the better player and James just fit the system better at the time. Maybe Ranieri would've preferred Drinkwater to James anyway.

But after all his injury problems, it's easy to forget Matty James looked like being a good player and comfortable in the Premier League before his career was ruined.

I think Kante made Drinkwater look a better player than he was.
I think that is a tad harsh. Drinkwater was outstanding in our Premier league winning season and should have been in the England team.

To add, we could also say the same about Wes Morgan with Huth, Danny Simpson with Albrighton, Vardy with Mahrez...

Drinkwater was outstanding in 2015-16 and played a massive part in us winning the league. His partnership with Vardy was brilliant and it was because they both played their part. Vardy’s intelligent runs would have been for nothing if Drinkwater didn’t see them and pick him out.

How he faked an injury in order to get a move and the complete mess his career is in now doesn’t change any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757