Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded winter 2021/22 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the standard of our scouting is ****ing shite now and we’ll end up with Frank Sidebottom.

I once passed Frank Sidebottom on a street in Manchester (1987). I said 'Hi Frank', as you do. He just ignored me.

I would speculate that the club are not signing players early in this window because it would mean that they have less chance of getting games postponed, if I am right they'll sign 1 or 2 players at the end of the window when we have more players back. I think Brendan is happier with 2 games a week and a full squad to rotate than the current situation where he has to play whoever is fit.

If the procession of postponements keeps going we might not need to sign anyone. By the looks of it, by early Feb we will hopefully have
Soyuncu, Fofana, Vestergaard, Justin, Amartey, Castagne, Thomas, Daley-Campbell, Brunt, Nelson to choose from in defence with Ricardo, Evans, Bertrand injured until later in March and April
Tielemans, Hall, Soumare, Maddison, Albrighton, Choudhury to choose from in midfield with no proper absences.
Barnes, Lookman, Daka, Iheanacho, Perez to choose from up front With Vardy out until March.

Arguably we could consider a defender and an attacker but the longer this goes on the stronger we look.

Brendan Rodgers planning for next season at Leicester City without Youri Tielemans
Not quite what Rodgers said though is it?

Rodgers said: “You always have to [plan for life without players], that is key. You always have to be looking ahead, that's important.

I think it stands to reason that there is a plan for life without Youri (as there probably is for him staying) You'd kinda hope the club looks forward and makes contingency plans for all manner of possible events. It's what a sensible business would do. Having a plan for something is not the same thing as planning for it.

Ok, if you were a betting man you'd probably wager that Youri was off this summer (all things being equal - whatever that means) but there are a number of factors involved and most of those are not yet resolved. It's not totally beyond the realms of possibility that Youri signs a new deal - unlikely but not impossible.

My concern for now is how those contingencies might impact on our decisions today. Particularly, what funds we'll have come summer. For instance, we might delay signing a CB this window until summer, when we could have more money in the kitty.

Not quite what Rodgers said though is it?

After the main press conference, Rodgers always speaks to the newspaper reporters separately and the comments from that are exclusively used by them. John Percy is an extremely reliable source and I've no doubt that he checked his interpretation with Rodgers.

I love Youri and I desperately want him to stay but he’d be mad to sign a new contract at the minute. I just hope we can get good money for him.

I love Youri and I desperately want him to stay but he’d be mad to sign a new contract at the minute. I just hope we can get good money for him.
Can't imagine we will get a massive wedge if it's 1 season to go. Can only hope we can magically solve our other positional problems in the process of the bidding war. Ie Liverpool or Real or Bayern offer us a really suitable player as a sweetener in any deal.
If he goes to someone like Arsenal I'll be perplexed.
If he goes to Utd (possible) we should get money and Lingard IMO which might help solve our right side problem.

After the main press conference, Rodgers always speaks to the newspaper reporters separately and the comments from that are exclusively used by them. John Percy is an extremely reliable source and I've no doubt that he checked his interpretation with Rodgers.
You have no doubt? Ah well then...

The point remains, whilst it may well be a likely outcome it is still simply a plan. Fat lady singing and all that. You'd expect the club to be considering possibilities and making plans accordingly.

I understand Youri keeping his options open, and I wouldn't expect him to sign a new contract (IF that happens, and I personally don't think it will) just yet. Of course he'll wait to see what else is on table come summer. We're not there yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757