The Jamie Vardy appreciation thread

This is it. People keep saying goal drought and finished but I think he’s actually still becoming a better player.
Vardy has always been streaky and admittedly this goal drought was longer than usual but so long as we are scoring as a team it doesn’t matter too much that Vardy isn’t.

His all round play is superb though, his intelligence in seeing and creating space, his vision, passing, control and lay offs are absolute quality.

Furthermore I don’t believe he has lost any pace at all.

Vardy has always been streaky and admittedly this goal drought was longer than usual but so long as we are scoring as a team it doesn’t matter too much that Vardy isn’t.

His all round play is superb though, his intelligence in seeing and creating space, his vision, passing, control and lay offs are absolute quality.

Furthermore I don’t believe he has lost any pace at all.
Several times yesterday and the Southampton goal should surely put to bed any concerns about pace.

This is it. People keep saying goal drought and finished but I think he’s actually still becoming a better player.

I mean it's really not that black and white.

Yes he's becoming a better striker in terms of working with a partner but his finishing and clinical nature in front of goal is nowhere to be seen.

He's missing chances that any PL striker should be scoring.

I genuinely think he's excellent for Nacho in how he's playing atm but he seriously needs to put his own chances away as a striker.

I mean it's really not that black and white.

Yes he's becoming a better striker in terms of working with a partner but his finishing and clinical nature in front of goal is nowhere to be seen.

He's missing chances that any PL striker should be scoring.

I genuinely think he's excellent for Nacho in how he's playing atm but he seriously needs to put his own chances away as a striker.
I think you’re also correct, he doesn’t seem as ruthless right now as he has been before.

I think you’re also correct, he doesn’t seem as ruthless right now as he has been before.

I do wonder if the lack of fans is having an effect now. If WBA had fans there last night he'd have been in the away end.

I do wonder if the lack of fans is having an effect now. If WBA had fans there last night he'd have been in the away end.
I agree, he loves to be wound up and perhaps that has taken 5% off his ‘edge?’

it’s also worth noting that his intelligence is improving all the time and perhaps post Mahrez we haven’t had anyone who would weigh in with close to his amount of goals a season, and knowing this would make him more greedy/ready to shoot.

These two together are perfect for us, and with Barnes, Justin and another top quality winger on board Brendan will have a seriously good selection headache I think.

We need an absolute top-level winger and with this in place and much better availability in terms of injuries, we can seriously challenge Man ****y next season.

I will be putting £250 on us to win it as soon as I get decent odds.

I think being part of a two also pushes him into different areas. I feel like he's always missed chances, but he's getting fewer at the minute so they seem worse, but that could just be my perception.

I also wonder how much he's still struggling with his hip and whether a proper summer to rest will help him.

I think it has a massive impact. We played spurs a few years ago and it was a dowdy affair until some smartarse Spurs fan decided to get a chorus of "****ed in the jungle, she's getting ****ed in the jungle" referring of course to Rebekah being on "I'm a celebrity..."

Of course, the right response - as Jamie so understood - was to score less than 2 minutes later.

You're not singing anymore...

I think being part of a two also pushes him into different areas. I feel like he's always missed chances, but he's getting fewer at the minute so they seem worse, but that could just be my perception.

I also wonder how much he's still struggling with his hip and whether a proper summer to rest will help him.

He appears to be getting similar numbers of chances (although this doesn't talk to the quality of those chances, but given the sample size I expect it to be reasonably consistent).

JV's shot accuracy is down over the last 10 games, and his goal conversion is also significantly down as we all know. This appears to be a slight trend over the season also, versus historical seasons.

VardyMins per chanceShots on targetShot accuracy %Goal conversion %
Last 10 games37.9940.99.1
2020/2134.03247.119.1
2019/2034.14247.225.8
2018/1934.53848.122.8
2017/1845.83447.928.2

Between his injury and slow recovery, Rodgers admitting we need to sign another striker and Iheanacho starting to bang them in, perhaps his confidence has taken a big hit?

Although he has apparently recovered his pace recently, that has taken quite a long time following his injury, and although talk of Iheanacho's form taking the pressure off might sound like a good thing, Vardy has gotten used to being the main man and has thrived under that pressure. This changing dynamic might not be good for him mentally.

It is to be expected that recovery takes longer as you get older, and Vardy is resilient and intelligent enough to adapt to his changing role in the team, we just need to be patient.

I think Vardy is bigger than that tbh. I don't think he suffers lack of confidence (as others might) nor would have anything other feeling than pleasure for Nacho's run of goals. Vardy's been around too long and taken the long road, he knows the ropes.

For me, his lack of celebration was a show of (deliberate) nonchalance, i.e. business as usual. I'm sure he felt a relief inside but I suspect he knew, on the scale of things, there were greater/other rewards than just personal.

He's become an excellent foil and provider. Defences now have 2 strikers to watch out for.

I think it has a massive impact. We played spurs a few years ago and it was a dowdy affair until some smartarse Spurs fan decided to get a chorus of "****ed in the jungle, she's getting ****ed in the jungle" referring of course to Rebekah being on "I'm a celebrity..."

Of course, the right response - as Jamie so understood - was to score less than 2 minutes later.

You're not singing anymore...
There was also a good few times the opposition started chanting about the Vardy/Rooney stuff and then he scored a minute or 2 later.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854