The Jamie Vardy appreciation thread

He’s knackered, but still a better bet than any of the other twonks we’ve got on the books, if we played the game to his strengths properly.

Last night there were times when no one else was within thirty yards of the poor ****er

He's suffering as a result of our ludicrous setup. He's playing exactly as he did under Puel, the last time people said he was finished. He hasn't turned into a pensioner overnight. Play to his strengths and he'll still win you games. There's a reason he's only getting about 12 touches a game and that's because we have absolutely no idea how to move the ball quickly or directly anymore.

We have to start getting him into games because the alternative is Daka or Nacho and they are both worse than ****ing useless on the whole.

He's suffering as a result of our ludicrous setup. He's playing exactly as he did under Puel, the last time people said he was finished. He hasn't turned into a pensioner overnight. Play to his strengths and he'll still win you games. There's a reason he's only getting about 12 touches a game and that's because we have absolutely no idea how to move the ball quickly or directly anymore.

We have to start getting him into games because the alternative is Daka or Nacho and they are both worse than ****ing useless on the whole.

Honestly pop old son, that line of argument only works until it doesn't. At some point, those of you that remain convinced that it's not about him will have to accept that it is about him. Are you going to accept it when he's 37 or 42?

How he's playing is not like he did under Puel at all. He got into a 'race' with Ream last night and struggled to keep up with him. Ream is one of the slowest defenders out there. He did have decent service last night. Albrighton slung ball after ball into the area and he was nowhere near any of them. When he was included in the build up play, he was woefully short of the speed of thought required. Your argument just doesn't hold up. It's just wishful thinking.

Why do you think Rodgers is selecting Daka over him most of the time? Rodgers has praised Vardy in every possible way for years. He loves him and built a style of play to suit him. But he knows that Vardy can't do it any more.

I hoped with an extended break he'd come back in decent shape but he's visibly deteriorating month after month now. Soon he won't need a Red Bull to give him energy, he'll need a large dose of amphetamines.

He’s knackered, but still a better bet than any of the other twonks we’ve got on the books, if we played the game to his strengths properly.

Last night there were times when no one else was within thirty yards of the poor ****er
The strengths he had were pace and finishing ability. He's lost both now.

Honestly pop old son, that line of argument only works until it doesn't. At some point, those of you that remain convinced that it's not about him will have to accept that it is about him. Are you going to accept it when he's 37 or 42?

How he's playing is not like he did under Puel at all. He got into a 'race' with Ream last night and struggled to keep up with him. Ream is one of the slowest defenders out there. He did have decent service last night. Albrighton slung ball after ball into the area and he was nowhere near any of them. When he was included in the build up play, he was woefully short of the speed of thought required. Your argument just doesn't hold up. It's just wishful thinking.

Why do you think Rodgers is selecting Daka over him most of the time? Rodgers has praised Vardy in every possible way for years. He loves him and built a style of play to suit him. But he knows that Vardy can't do it any more.

I hoped with an extended break he'd come back in decent shape but he's visibly deteriorating month after month now. Soon he won't need a Red Bull to give him energy, he'll need a large dose of amphetamines.
Once again, you fall into that trap of thinking that it is about sentimentality. It isn't. I have watched him this season as closely as you. He is still making the runs and finding the space he was last season but he's getting precious few opportunities. It is an exact replica of how he was playing under Puel. Coming to deep to collect the ball, not being given any chance to play on instinct because the midfield behind him is painfully, painfully slow. Our whole game lacks any pace whatsoever to the point that it may as well be walking football, this has a profound effect on Vardy's game as it did under Puel. Take the Liverpool game as an example, he turned and moved at pace beautifully in the first half, putting in a brilliant cross only for there to be no one at all in the right place. It's happening to him as a provider and a goal scorer.

I'm under no illusion that he isn't as quick as he once was and I'm certainly not of the opinion that he will go on forever. You could see quite clearly how he'd adapted his game last season to make up for that and it worked well. However, I'm also not daft enough to think that he has become completely useless from having scored 15 goals last season in the space of a few weeks. It's that same panic mode nonsense we see time and time and time again from some.

You must be able to see what our style is doing to his game, surely? He is completely nullified because we never play direct anymore. We never, ever choose to play with pace. We look so devoid of any ideas whatsoever so instead, we move it backwards time and time again. He is never, ever going to have any impact on the game this way.

The reason Rodgers has been picking Daka is because he feels that Daka is more suited to the system he wants to employ but he's not bright enough to understand that the system he wants to employ won't work with the players he has. He's moronically stubborn. Playing Daka or Nacho up front alone is all the evidence you need to assure yourself of that. I also think there's a little bit of him that wants Daka to work because it was one of his big buys.

Is Vardy the same player as he was 3 or 4 seasons ago? Of course not. But he's not too far from the player he was last season. He doesn't seem at all happy playing under Rodgers, you can see it in his frustrations. That playfulness, the wry smiles, the screaming for the ball, they've been extinguished exactly like they were under the French bufoon.

Sadly, unless we make the right change and soon, he will absolutely fizzle out with us and that's incredibly sad. There are however, managers and coaches out there that would get a much, much better version of Jamie Vardy showing up for us.

One thing is absolutely certain; neither Daka or Iheanacho are remotely close to being the answer. If Rodgers is to stay and continues to push Vardy further and further out, then we are in desperate need for a goal scorer because we sure as shit haven't got one who will be good enough at this level right now.

Once again, you fall into that trap of thinking that it is about sentimentality. It isn't. I have watched him this season as closely as you. He is still making the runs and finding the space he was last season but he's getting precious few opportunities. It is an exact replica of how he was playing under Puel. Coming to deep to collect the ball, not being given any chance to play on instinct because the midfield behind him is painfully, painfully slow. Our whole game lacks any pace whatsoever to the point that it may as well be walking football, this has a profound effect on Vardy's game as it did under Puel. Take the Liverpool game as an example, he turned and moved at pace beautifully in the first half, putting in a brilliant cross only for there to be no one at all in the right place. It's happening to him as a provider and a goal scorer.

I'm under no illusion that he isn't as quick as he once was and I'm certainly not of the opinion that he will go on forever. You could see quite clearly how he'd adapted his game last season to make up for that and it worked well. However, I'm also not daft enough to think that he has become completely useless from having scored 15 goals last season in the space of a few weeks. It's that same panic mode nonsense we see time and time and time again from some.

You must be able to see what our style is doing to his game, surely? He is completely nullified because we never play direct anymore. We never, ever choose to play with pace. We look so devoid of any ideas whatsoever so instead, we move it backwards time and time again. He is never, ever going to have any impact on the game this way.

The reason Rodgers has been picking Daka is because he feels that Daka is more suited to the system he wants to employ but he's not bright enough to understand that the system he wants to employ won't work with the players he has. He's moronically stubborn. Playing Daka or Nacho up front alone is all the evidence you need to assure yourself of that. I also think there's a little bit of him that wants Daka to work because it was one of his big buys.

Is Vardy the same player as he was 3 or 4 seasons ago? Of course not. But he's not too far from the player he was last season. He doesn't seem at all happy playing under Rodgers, you can see it in his frustrations. That playfulness, the wry smiles, the screaming for the ball, they've been extinguished exactly like they were under the French bufoon.

Sadly, unless we make the right change and soon, he will absolutely fizzle out with us and that's incredibly sad. There are however, managers and coaches out there that would get a much, much better version of Jamie Vardy showing up for us.

One thing is absolutely certain; neither Daka or Iheanacho are remotely close to being the answer. If Rodgers is to stay and continues to push Vardy further and further out, then we are in desperate need for a goal scorer because we sure as shit haven't got one who will be good enough at this level right now.
Even when Vardy has been able to get away from the defence with the ball this season he has missed the target or hit the keeper, chances that you would have bet the house on in years gone by, imo he's lost his clinical finishing and it's unlikely to come back however he is played. We've rung every last drop out of him and he'll be a club legend but father time has caught up with him.

Is our style of any different to last season?

Is our style of any different to last season?

Not significantly no. Vardy is doing everything he did in the last couple of seasons but the advantage he always had was his speed. That's just gone. He's done a bit of trying to reinvent himself as a provider type (a bit like late Sheringham) but he's not very good at it - as evidenced by his three successful passes the other night.

I get it, I really do. Nobody wants to admit that he's cooked but the evidence is now pretty bleeding obvious.

I get it, I really do. Nobody wants to admit that he's cooked but the evidence is now pretty bleeding obobvious.
You can be as condescending as you like but you're the only one putting anything down to sentimental nonsense.

What is obvious, is that the poor ****er is being hung out to dry and fizzle away like a fart in a toilet pan because he's being put in front of a woefully inept and pedestrian midfield time and time again.

Put Vardy in a PL side that play direct and with pace and he'll score another 10 or more this season. We're wasting his final years.

You can be as condescending as you like but you're the only one putting anything down to sentimental nonsense.

What is obvious, is that the poor ****er is being hung out to dry and fizzle away like a fart in a toilet pan because he's being put in front of a woefully inept and pedestrian midfield time and time again.

Put Vardy in a PL side that play direct and with pace and he'll score another 10 or more this season. We're wasting his final years.
He's not finished as you correctly agree. Even more frustrating is that some people can't see what an excellent and unselfish strike partner is. Time and time and time again he has set up other players around him with excellent crosses and through balls only for the recipient of the pass to take someone out at the back of the stand.

If some people can't see that then they clearly aren't looking.

He has always performed better being part of a pair and this is even more important when he lost his yard of pace.

Some people on here would have players put to sleep at 34.

Not saying for or against Vardy being finished for now, but think it's funny that the vast majority of the comments saying Vardy is still our best option but is so out of form because of our system, not playing to his strengths, leaving him isolated and with a lack of service, etc then write off Daka & Nacho as complete shit...

Could the same not be said for both of them?

Our current setup leaves our 1 striker incredibly isolated with no one near them, and that doesn't suit any of our 3 strikers (not sure it suits ANY striker tbh!)

Daka needs to work on his composure, but he's young and looks like the type of player that would enjoy the type of service Vardy used to thrive off of. The one run where we've given Nacho a regular starting place with a strike partner, he scored a hatful.

So I think it's a bit unfair to give that excuse to Vardy but then write off the other 2 at the same time. Yes, Vardy has shown he's more capable than the others in the past, but if the question is who's our best option right now then I think the answer is we're not giving any of our strikers the right setup or service to thrive.

Not saying for or against Vardy being finished for now, but think it's funny that the vast majority of the comments saying Vardy is still our best option but is so out of form because of our system, not playing to his strengths, leaving him isolated and with a lack of service, etc then write off Daka & Nacho as complete shit...

Could the same not be said for both of them?

Our current setup leaves our 1 striker incredibly isolated with no one near them, and that doesn't suit any of our 3 strikers (not sure it suits ANY striker tbh!)

Daka needs to work on his composure, but he's young and looks like the type of player that would enjoy the type of service Vardy used to thrive off of. The one run where we've given Nacho a regular starting place with a strike partner, he scored a hatful.

So I think it's a bit unfair to give that excuse to Vardy but then write off the other 2 at the same time. Yes, Vardy has shown he's more capable than the others in the past, but if the question is who's our best option right now then I think the answer is we're not giving any of our strikers the right setup or service to thrive.
No. Iheanacho and Daka have not proved their worth. They have both had some appalling games and neither have the composure or consistency to do well enough. It's absolutely true that the way we are playing right now doesn't suit Daka either, but I'd still bet my house on Vardy scoring many more goals than Daka or Nacho if we played with more pace and more directly than we are doing at present.

I totally agree with your final 3 lines. This is a great summary of exactly what is causing our issues.

Last edited:
Don't be daft. The issue with each of those is completely different.
It isn't though. You seem to think growing 10 or 12 weeks older has turned Vardy from a 15 goal striker to an old man who couldn't run for a bus. It's complete, illogical rubbish. His form has fallen off a cliff precisely like Ndidi's, Barnes' and Soyuncu's have. Add to that list Ricardo too and it's pretty obvious that some of the coaching being done simply isn't up to scratch.

It isn't though. You seem to think growing 10 or 12 weeks older has turned Vardy from a 15 goal striker to an old man who couldn't run for a bus. It's complete, illogical rubbish. His form has fallen off a cliff precisely like Ndidi's, Barnes' and Soyuncu's have. Add to that list Ricardo too and it's pretty obvious that some of the coaching being done simply isn't up to scratch.

You're a weirdo x

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756