The journey’s start

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother went to the Cup semi-final at Old Trafford agains Liverpool and I wasn't allowed to go as I was seemingly too young.

I had to wait until the first game of the 1978-9 season to get to see City play a 2-2 draw at Burnley.

Apart from a non-league game between Runcorn And Altrincham in 1975, it was the first football match I went to. I lived in Manchester from early 1970s but sill supported my home club. As a 9 year-old I was the odd one in a class of an equal split of Man U and Man C supporters.

Can't remember what year it was, but it was in the mid-sixties when I went with a friend and his father (a Chelsea supporter). Leicester won 2:0. That was several years before I spent six years as a student at Leicester University, starting in 1969, and watched nearly every home game during the Cross, Glover, Weller, Worthington, Shilton etc. etc era.

As an irrelevant aside, at around the same time, I also used to occasionally go to see my local team, Hillingdon Borough (sadly no longer in existence) with my dad. The highlight of those matches was when Hereford United came and I was able to witness the grace and subtlety of the great (literally) John Charles, playing out the twilight of his incredible career (I believe he was also their manager). It remains one of my most vivid football memories..

First game for me was march 1989, against Plymouth argyle at home park. 1-1, Nicky Cross scored for us , he also had a very early goal disallowed if memory serves. I was 16. My dad RIP, was from Leicester born 1947, he's been gone now almost 20 years. He would of loved this last, 6, 7 years. I could of followed Liverpool like my older brother, but the shear joy of winning games as the underdog that I saw with my dad set me along the right path. I fkn love this club, as does my middle daughter. Unfortunately geography doesn't make getting to many games easy. Aprox 600 mile round trip. I've probably only ever seen us play live about 15/20 times. Last game in Leicester was the win against Swansea, the season after we won the league. My daughter's first live game.

As a 10 year old I was taken to watch us lose 1-2 to Fulham in 1967. Bobby Roberts scored ours from a penalty, and George Cohen played for them. Following match was a 0-2 defeat to an Everton team that included Alan Ball and Ray Wilson. Next up we beat Liverpool 2-0 with a Stringfellow brace. Roger Hunt played that day. Last match of that season was against Stoke including Gordon Banks which meant by then I had got to see all of the World Cup side at Filbert Street.
Next season I went to my first away game, the semifinal against West Brom followed by the Final at Wembley.
Was there again on Saturday. Magic, sheer unadulterated, high emotional magic !

The first one I remember I was 11 years old, went with a couple of school pals. It was against Everton in 1966 - we won (I think). We were standing ( the East side? - next to Bentley factory) and I couldn't see much (plus my eye sight was bad and hadn't started wearing glasses yet) but I do remember a couple of happy ladies in old fashioned blue and white dresses and bonnets walking around the perimiter of the pitch throwing toffees into the crowd before the match.

22 September 1990. Lost 2-4 at home to Sheffield Wednesday. Dad took me, I was 11. The loss didn’t mean too much to me but I loved the experience. Seeing the pitch appear for the first time as you walk up the stairs. Wow. I still get those same goosebumps now.

Results started to mean more to me around 91/92, so pretty early on I experienced the upset of the Blackburn in ‘92 and Swindon in ‘93 play-off finals. Went to Wembley for the Swindon game. Shed my first LCFC related tears after that.

After the title win and yesterday, I went straight back to that Swindon game. The contrast between that upset as a young lad and the utter joy of our recent successes is absolutely massive. Many more tears in recent years!

first game was the Tony James goal staying up last day of the seasson, pitch invasion game.
nuff said really.

Home against Liverpool. We won 2-1.

Like some, I can't remember my first game, probably 1960 +/- 1 year. The first game I remember was against Man City, with Bert Trautmann in goal for them. An unusual and unforgettable name. I remember Banks in goal for us, and Albert Cheesebrough, another "humourous" and unforgettable name for a young kid.
We were at the front, it seemed so close to the pitch, with my dad behind me to protect me from crowd movement.
Matt Gilles daughter was at the same local primary school (Linden), no fancy schools in those days.

My first Leicester game was a pre-season friendly at Worcester. I'm not from Leicester and have never lived there, but you support who your dad supports - so there you go.

First game proper was Everton at home at the start of the 97-98 season. We won 2-0 and we sat in the 'Supporters Club'. The noise we deafening - I still think the noise at Filbert Street was unlike anything in the modern game.

As I recall it, there was a fracas up the field - while that was going on, Frank Sinclair turned around and lamped Duncan Ferguson right in front of us - missed by all the officials dealing with the other incident.

Had a season ticket ever since and been pretty much everywhere away too.

Dad took me to my first game in the early 70's, aged 5/6, in the standing area in front of the main stand next to the kop.

When we got into the ground Dad took me to front, where all of the other children were, settled me down and then said I would be fine but he would be moving a few rows back but would keep an eye on me.

I remember equal levels of excitement and trepidation throughout the game but it set me for a lifetime of support.

I seem to remember all the kids at the front were sat on the small wall on the side of the pitch but I may be wrong on that.

No idea who we played or what the score was.

In the late 80s with my dad and grandad. I remember the Pleat out calls. I remember getting Colin Gibson's autograph when we played Bristol City in the cup. I remember Tony James scoring and fans on the pitch against Oxford. I remember leaving early when we beat Leeds 4-3 because my dad was worried that we might get caught up in fights after the game.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember my first game but something gave me a real bug for this club.

I remember the Pleat out calls.
I remember the 'We Got Pleaty Out' chant going around the ground at a game against Plymouth (3-1 win) that I took the soon-to-be wife to, for her birthday. Ahhh.

In the late 80s with my dad and grandad. I remember the Pleat out calls. I remember getting Colin Gibson's autograph when we played Bristol City in the cup. I remember Tony James scoring and fans on the pitch against Oxford. I remember leaving early when we beat Leeds 4-3 because my dad was worried that we might get caught up in fights after the game.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember my first game but something gave me a real bug for this club.
I can not remember my first game either however, My old man took me into the double decker and I remember hearing the song about Iwan Roberts it was priceless, as was his hattrick against Derby.

Also remember a fan who took his dad who must have been in his late 70's, the son slagged off Joachim all game until he scored a screamer, he turned round to us all shouted "I told you he was amazing" his dad just sat there shaking his head, it was brilliant.

So many great memories such an amazing club with awesome fans!

I moved back to Leicester in ‘72 aged 14 and went to games with my uncle, standing or sitting wherever we could get tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263