The King Power Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

http://www.supersport.com/football/...0818/Thai_duty_free_group_buys_Leicester_City?

King Power Group -- Thailand's largest duty free operator -- has purchased English Championship club Leicester City for an undisclosed amount, executives said on Wednesday.
King Power, which has monopolised duty free operations at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports for decades, signed a deal to purchase 100 per cent of the club on August 12, King Power Chairman and CEO Vichai Raksriaksorn said.
"I can't disclose the amount right now," Vichai told a press conference in Bangkok, at which the purchase was officially announced.
Vichai is the second Thai tycoon to purchase an English football club.
In 2007, former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra bought Manchester City shortly after he was toppled by a military coup the previous year.
Thaksin, who was later forced to flee England after his visa was revoked, sold City to the Abu Dhabi United Group in 2008 at a £120-million profit.
"We are not buying Leicester to sell later," Vichai insisted. He said the purchase of the club was made to boost King Power's brand name abroad.
"After December we will change the name of the Leicester Stadium to King Power Stadium," he said.
The Thai investor said he has set aside money to buy up new players for the club, which is looking for promotion to the Premier League this season. "I have to confess that my favourite sport is actually polo," Vichai said. The Thai group's business links with the football club started three years ago with a shirt sponsorship deal.

Oh Good. We've been bought to boost a brand.

I also thought these were supposed to be football people. Sounds like they prefer Polo.

More reason to call it Filbert way.

Im waiting for all the players to be forced to legally change their surnames to King.

Im waiting for all the players to be forced to legally change their surnames to King.

Why? The new name is a lot better than the one we have now.

Can't see King agreeing to do that

our stadium being called 'the walkers stadium' currently is fine as it's a firm that has heritage in leicestershire.
we unfortunately have fallen into the same mire as the rest of football and sold ourselves out to a group of non football people in order to reconcile our finances and short cut back to the premier league.
i can't help wishing we were back where blackpool are (they remind me of leicester when we got promoted via the derby play off final). No players on massive wages, no desire to chuck good money after bad on shoddy big money signings, no foreign owner with a no doubt unsustainable, short termist business model up their sleeve.
i'll obviously be excited if we sign to or three £million + players. But it seems like the days of Filbert Street, clear leicestershire roots, local lads getting into the side and some sense of being a 125 year old club will soon become distant memories as we get swallowed up in some shonky, duty-free branding exercise.

Could be worse

WanKingPath.jpg

Wasn't the Walkers deal due to run out this year anyway? Did people think it was going to keep that name forever?

we unfortunately have fallen into the same mire as the rest of football and sold ourselves out to a group of non football people

were all the Walkers people football people then?

:102:

were all the Walkers people football people then?

:102:

You mean that nice local company owned by that small local business whose name excapes me........oh yeh Pepsico.

You mean that nice local company owned by that small local business whose name excapes me........oh yeh Pepsico.

Mr Pepsi lives in Barwell, fact

http://www.supersport.com/football/...0818/Thai_duty_free_group_buys_Leicester_City?

King Power Group -- Thailand's largest duty free operator -- has purchased English Championship club Leicester City for an undisclosed amount, executives said on Wednesday.

"After December we will change the name of the Leicester Stadium to King Power Stadium," he said.

You heard it here first: http://www.talkingballs.co.uk/showthread.php?p=952589&highlight=king+power+stadium#post952589 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263