The Mahrez Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea, his value is what someone will pay.

But to try and address your question, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the summer for less than we valued him at yesterday. We'll see. It partly depends on how he reacts over the next few months. One scenario is that we end up just wanting rid. I can't see him changing his mind so he will want away. But who can say?

I have no idea, his value is what someone will pay.

But to try and address your question, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the summer for less than we valued him at yesterday. We'll see. It partly depends on how he reacts over the next few months. One scenario is that we end up just wanting rid. I can't see him changing his mind so he will want away. But who can say?
His value surely is driven by market forces plus xxx.

So to me, Countino at £140m
Van Dijk at £75m

Premier league winner
Championship winner
PFA player of the year
Ballooon D’or nominee
African player of the year
Goal scoring midfielder

To me that is a ~£100m player all day long in the current market.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the summer for less than we valued him at yesterday.

I quite agree.

Manchester City are the major part of the blame in this fiasco.

If they really wanted him they should have followed Liverpool's example for Van Dyke and opened negotiations on January 1st. That would have given plenty of time to agree a realistic fee and for LCFC to find a suitable replacement.

Guardiola has indicated they may come back for him in the summer.

The ball is clearly in Mahrez's court. He has to keep performing at the same recent level or Pep's interest may fade.

His value surely is driven by market forces plus xxx.

I knew I was setting myself up for that! I acknowledge all of the above points. However, my view is somewhat tempered shall we say. Though, as I've said before in another context, I like being wrong sometimes. We'll see.

ManCity2.jpg

"We'll make them an offer they can't refuse on the last day of January, and throw in a player we don't want and they don't need, if necessary."

I'd have thought his value is what someone is prepared to pay for him, so it would be helpful if two or more clubs come in for him in the summer. I'd love that not to be Man City, as their reported behaviour really pissed me off the last couple of days - destabilise then swoop tactics.

Riyad seems quite a biddable personality to me, I still think this all stems from the reported "gentlemen's agreement" that he made (with CR?) when he signed his contract back in 2016, which seemed to be his beef in the last transfer window - up to the manager to manage him properly. I'd also judge that the players apparent lack of assertiveness (though not ambition) may mean Leicester is as good as it gets for him - I can see him being sidelined and getting frustrated in a "bigger" club. More than a touch of a Matt le Tissier about him, and admirable for it.

This may have been asked/answered elswhere, but I'm because I'm to lazy to work through the whole thread, I 'll ask anyway, anybody know who this mystery player might be that MC were willing to offload?

I still think this all stems from the reported "gentlemen's agreement" that he made (with CR?) when he signed his contract back in 2016

I'm inclined to agree. I think there was some kind of gentlemen's agreement - though perhaps with Vichai rather than CR... though given that Ulloa seemed to think he had some kind of similar agreement with CR, then perhaps it was Ranieri that gave the amiable 'of course, everything is fine' remarks. Who knows?

So I do have a degree of sympathy for Mahrez. I do think he's under the impression (for whatever reason) that he was going to be allowed to go. His upset/confusion is therefore understandable. Perhaps he's simply naive. We could harshly say 'more the fool him, a contract is a contract' but that doesn't stop me being sympathetic to him. On the scale of things though, it's difficult for me to feel he has been wronged in any serious way. At worst, he's just stuck in a job he doesn't particularly want... and loads of us have been there.

I think the club's stance was partly affected by what happened with Drinkwater - this being the second consecutive window in which there has been a rushed bid for one of our players on the last day.
Maybe they thought "Nah, we're not doing that again unless we can get crazy money and/or players in return".

This may have been asked/answered elswhere, but I'm because I'm to lazy to work through the whole thread, I 'll ask anyway, anybody know who this mystery player might be that MC were willing to offload?

I'm not sure they were willing to offload a player. I thought I read somewhere that it was Leicester that proposed the £65m + player deal to Man City, taking the total deal to around Leicester's £95m valuation of Mahrez. It was then that MC got the hump and withdrew their interest.

Jamie Pollock

The algerian «supporters» are on meltdown over at the LCFC Facebook site

It’s reasonable for him to be frustrated. He wants to play in the major competitions and, yes, earn the same money as other players of equivalent skill, and to do that he’ll have to go. We can’t offer either of those things and Mahrez can’t be expected to wait for the club to catch up with him.

At the same time, it’s entirely reasonable for the club to expect fair market value for him, and the numbers that were being talked about yesterday were nothing like. Manchester City’s interest, if the purported details of their alleged offers are even close to accurate, wasn’t particularly serious and I’m surprised anyone thought it was — let alone the man himself. If we had offered 5 million for a prolific Championship striker in his prime with years left on his contract, I seriously doubt anyone would have taken that as anything other than a wind-up.

The algerian «supporters» are on meltdown over at the LCFC Facebook site

The same Algerian supporters who had a meltdown last time and then disappeared, the same Algerian supporters who slagged him off all over social media for missing qualifier games as he tried to get a transfer in the summer.

****ing plebs

Maybe they thought "Nah, we're not doing that again unless we can get crazy money and/or players in return".

I reckon that could have been part of the thinking.

There's a price for everything and it varies with circumstance. Sure, you might not want to sell your beloved Ford Mondeo/Porsche (as applicable) but if someone's going to make it worth your while...

As I said before, I reckon the club quoted that price. That is, the price that'd make it worth their while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263