The Midfield Partnership of Andy King and Danny Drinkwater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

Funny how the last couple of seasons people have moaned about the midfield then we get Drinkwater and King forging such an awesome partnership.

King playing the best football he's ever played, people no longer criticise King for being anonymous and not being imposing enough in games because he really is starting to impose himself now and be the player we all wanted him to be.

IMO a lot of that is down to Drinkwater who in many ways is the polar opposite to Wellens. Whereas Wellens slowed the game down and dwelt on the ball looking for a pass, Drinkwater is constantly on the move and looking for space instead of the pass. His off the ball work is absolutely exceptional and he creates space in the midfield better than anyone I've seen in a Leicester shirt for years, at times it seems like he's everywhere.

Not only has the way we play it through midfield a hell of a lot quicker compared to how we did with Wellens been a lot more effective but it's also made us a lot more attractive to watch for me.

Knockaert and Morgan are rightly getting plaudits this season, but for me it's this midfield partnership which is the heartbeat to the side and the biggest reason we are currently top of the league. Both players seem to compliment each other and the team so well.

Last edited:
I think it just goes to prove that you don't need a destroyer in the middle of the park. King and Drinkwater have such mobility, so not only can they exploit space when we have the ball, but they get into the faces of the opposition midfield, not by battering into players and trying to kick anything that moves, but simply by minimizing the amount of time the opposing player has.

Andy King is such a smart footballer, he's always had the ability to find goalscoring opportunities, but now he's finding ways to control the midfield (along with Drinkwater) and keep the defence on their toes at all times. He's an absolute bastard for appearing from nowhere and sticking the ball away, 200+ and 40 odd goals for a 23 year old centre mid is irresistable. I get physically excited just thinking about that spine of King, Drinkwater and Morgan.

During our bad start I mentioned in a post that one positive was that Drinkwater looks like he could become a fantastic player in the future. Looks like he's coming one sooner than I thought!

I've not always felt that NP was the right man for the job but if there's one thing he never gets wrong its his signings. (credit to the entire backroom staff/scouting network).

The goodform of these 2 is essential for the teams good run to continue, i worry Danny never seems to be rested, and hopefully neither will get suspended or injured (especially if it means getting Wellens back!)

Funny how the last couple of seasons people have moaned about the midfield then we get Drinkwater and King forging such an awesome partnership.

King playing the best football he's ever played, people no longer criticise King for being anonymous and not being imposing enough in games because he really is starting to impose himself now and be the player we all wanted him to be.

IMO a lot of that is down to Drinkwater who in many ways is the polar opposite to Wellens. Whereas Wellens slowed the game down and dwelt on the ball looking for a pass, Drinkwater is constantly on the move and looking for space instead of the pass. His off the ball work is absolutely exceptional and he creates space in the midfield better than anyone I've seen in a Leicester shirt for years, at times it seems like he's everywhere.

Not only has the way we play it through midfield a hell of a lot quicker compared to how we did with Wellens been a lot more effective but it's also made us a lot more attractive to watch for me.

Knockaert and Morgan are rightly getting plaudits this season, but for me it's this midfield partnership which is the heartbeat to the side and the biggest reason we are currently top of the league. Both players seem to compliment each other and the team so well.

:038:Good post Prof. Agree with every word

Both players seem to compliment each other and the team so well.

King: Well done, Danno.

Drinkwater: You too, Kingy. You done really good.

Both: And the rest of you weren't bad either!

Last edited:
King: Well done, Danno.

Drinkwater: You too, Kingy. You done really good.

Both: And the rest of you weren't bad either!

Waghorn: Grrrrrr..... Waggy run! Waggy smash!

Can't agree more, I've been so impressed with them this season, especially Drinkwater. He's exactly what you want in a central midfielder - industrious, hard-working, neat and tidy. He'll rarely waste a pass and he's always, always on the move. When do you ever see him go for glory? I don't think I've even seen him take a shot yet this season (from the little I have seen, mind).

As for King, it's a breath of fresh air to see him back. He's not the sort of player to drag the others around him by the scruff of the neck but when the team are playing well, so does he generally. His goals are key and that is an aspect of his game that compensates for Drinkwater's lack of them importantly. Both have made huge strides and it's a pleasure to watch.

When do you ever see him go for glory? I don't think I've even seen him take a shot yet this season (from the little I have seen, mind).

The only one I can remember was against Hull, horrible scuff which Nuge snapped up and popped in for his first. Even his mis-hits are useful!

Too right

Get Danns in instead, or maybe Wellens

You think if there was an injury crisis Danns would even be available for selection?

I reckon Pearson would play a 15 year-old over him. Not that I'm complaining, just amazing how fast some careers can turn south.

Last edited:
You think if there was an injury crisis Danns would even be available for selection?

I reckon Pearson would play a 15 year-old over him. Not that I'm complaining, just amazing how fast some careers can turn south.

I'd essentially forgotten about him until seeing his name in this thread. Amazing to think really as he's a player who has proved himself to be perfectly capable at this level. Sadly though, not with us.

If he's not gone in January I'll be amazed, although it'll take a hefty pay cut to make that happen.

I'd essentially forgotten about him until seeing his name in this thread. Amazing to think really as he's a player who has proved himself to be perfectly capable at this level. Sadly though, not with us.

If he's not gone in January I'll be amazed, although it'll take a hefty pay cut to make that happen.

He'll be with city until his contract runs out, no other club will want him!

I doubt that. As said, he's done a decent job in the past. Things just went sour here.

City will probably have to loan him out and eat a large part of his salary though.

Drinkwater had one of his poorest games yesterday for us, after having one of his best on Tuesday. Consistency is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363