The NFL Thread (to avoid going off topic elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork pie fox

I suppose in terms of our ambitions, it depends how seriously FFP is taken.

If the club take it seriously I'd say "reduce the wage bill, don't get relegated" seems about right.

I'm guessing the approach looks like this:

1. Do best to clear out the deadwood, even if it means free transfers, in an effort to reduce the wage bill.
2. Listen to offers for any player at the top end of the wage bill.
3. Don't extend any contracts that involve real money.
4. Let the kids play it out.

It reminds me a great deal of the NFL season prior to the proposed player's strike. Teams (especially the Panthers) simply refused to invest in players, dumped bad contracts, let their lame duck coach's contract expire, and waited it out.

The Panthers went 2-14 that year. It was shit.

Needless to say, I'm not as optimistic as Dion.

But (if I remember correctly) some teams saw it as an opportunity to spend shed-loads in the absence of a salary cap. How did that work out for them?

(Edit - I should point out that I know the answer)

Last edited:
Re: The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Summer 2013 rumours thread

Is 2-14 an after hours nightclub?

No surprise it is shit if that's what time it opens.

2 wins, 14 losses. But I suspect you know that and are being a smart arse.

Haha you could lose the smart to be fair, just a slow day and the tennis isn't that exciting so far!

Haha you could lose the smart to be fair, just a slow day and the tennis isn't that exciting so far!

You could follow the Aaron Hernandez murder case..that's a pretty insane story.

Yeah it's a bit odd isn't it. Not quite sure what to make of it all.

On a football note it could hurt the Pats a lot, as with Gronkowski struggling so much it looks like Hernandez would have a bigger part to play this year. Oh well, I guess there's always Tebow to step in for them....

TBH I was more looking forward to BBC keeping their live news feed on Edward Snowden's travels going as I was looking forward to hearing that he had made it to Ecuador fine and is now having a coke and hooker binge with Julian Assange.
Assange is still at the Embassy isn't he?

Very odd. I hope people don't jump to conclusions though.

Circumstantial evidence making that very difficult at this point.

I'd be stunned if he wasn't somehow involved.

Yeah it's a bit odd isn't it. Not quite sure what to make of it all.

On a football note it could hurt the Pats a lot, as with Gronkowski struggling so much it looks like Hernandez would have a bigger part to play this year. Oh well, I guess there's always Tebow to step in for them....

Pats lose, Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez and Welker all in one off-season. That's 75% of their receiving stats gone.

The tight ends better start worrying then if they have so many receivers to make up for next year!!

Circumstantial evidence making that very difficult at this point.

I'd be stunned if he wasn't somehow involved.
The world would be a better place if more people understood that circumstantial evidence is not proof.

The world would be a better place if more people understood that circumstantial evidence is not proof.

While I entirely understand...this dude....is acting mighty suspicious.

While I entirely understand...this dude....is acting mighty suspicious.

It's all a bit.....odd. It's like people want to say something about it, but can't. I'm finding it a difficult story to follow in some ways.

The first 10 minutes live on the morning TV here in Chicago were funny with no delay setup to remove the naughty words.

I was just reading about this. What's the feeling over there MA? Is it that he's just covering for people or that he's more directly involved in some way? I know he fell a lot in the draft because of questions over his background, but this is a big story and I'll bet the Pats are wondering what's going on.

I was just reading about this. What's the feeling over there MA? Is it that he's just covering for people or that he's more directly involved in some way? I know he fell a lot in the draft because of questions over his background, but this is a big story and I'll bet the Pats are wondering what's going on.

Without wanting to upset BM:

The feeling is he at the very least concealed evidence and it's entirely possible he is directly responsible.

He dropped 3 rounds in the draft despite being a first round "talent". I have it on good authority that several teams had him in the "do not draft under any circumstances" bucket. Quite what surfaced in the due diligence is subject to speculation of course.

I don't think he will be playing much football this season. The Pats are in a bit of a state. But they have Brady and are in the AFC East...so they'll still win 11 games.

Last edited:

Without wanting to upset BM:

The feeling is he at the very least concealed evidence and it's entirely possible he is directly responsible.

He dropped 3 rounds in the draft despite being a first round "talent". I have it on good authority that several teams had him in the "do not draft under any circumstances" bucket. Quite what surfaced in the due diligence is subject to speculation of course.

I don't think he will be playing much football this season. The Pats are in a bit of a state. But they have Brady and are in the AFC East...so they'll still win 11 games.

Interesting, cheers MA.

Erm, Is there any chance we can keep this thread for mindless speculation on LCFC signings, every time I see a new post I'm expecting tantalising news.

Erm, Is there any chance we can keep this thread for mindless speculation on LCFC signings, every time I see a new post I'm expecting tantalising news.

What? Where else am I meant to post NFL drivel if it's not in here?

(I'll start a new thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758