The NFL Thread (to avoid going off topic elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Summer 2013 rumours thread

Pfft the Hernandez and Snowdon stuff is much more interesting than what some spotty kid has made up on Twatter.

Thread should be changed to interesting current news affairs imo.

I saw a stat yesterday that said since the Superbowl 28 NFL players had been arrested on various charges.

Most sites are saying 27, which of course is much more encouraging. I'm sure it won't be long before it's 28.

You're spot on. If it's only 27 I've no idea why people are moaning so much. Them there Premier League footballers are much worse too.

You're spot on. If it's only 27 I've no idea why people are moaning so much. Them there Premier League footballers are much worse too.
I honestly can't think of any other high profile sport with such high rates of arrest. Not even boxing at its worst.

I honestly can't think of any other high profile sport with such high rates of arrest. Not even boxing at its worst.

Crunch the numbers though to be fair:

32 teams, each with around 80 players affiliated with them (not to mention former players).

Compare it to other American leagues, or hell, America in general and I'm willing to bet the per capita/population percentages align. They do, admittedly, have a gun issue...but then so does the states at large.

I'm personally less concerned with the perceived criminality in the NFL than I am with the health issues associated with the sport: life expectancy in the 50s, much higher rate of mental disorders, ALS, Parkinson's, dementia, and heart issues.

It truly is a blood sport.

Last edited:
Crunch the numbers though to be fair:

32 teams, each with around 80 players affiliated with them (not to mention former players).

Compare it to other American leagues, or hell, America in general and I'm willing to bet the per capita/population percentages align. They do, admittedly, have a gun issue...but then so does the states at large.

I'm personally less concerned with the perceived criminality in the NFL than I am with the health issues associated with the sport: life expectancy in the 50s, much higher rate of mental disorders, ALS, Parkinson's, dementia, and heart issues.

See also: professional wrestling, especially ex-WWF/WWE workers pre-Wellness Program. Drug/steroid-influenced deaths, suicides and murders were off the charts.

You wouldn't be the only one. When current NFL players are saying they'd rather their kids didn't play the game, you can see how real the concerns are.

My work colleagues son was drafted as a second pick after college but destroyed his knee in pre season and never played a game, the family see it as a good thing, he got a couple of million sign on and insurance and a life as well.

My work colleagues son was drafted as a second pick after college but destroyed his knee in pre season and never played a game, the family see it as a good thing, he got a couple of million sign on and insurance and a life as well.

Second pick overall or second pick for a particular team Biffa?

Second pick for a team, I don't remember which one, second pick overall would probably have been put back together and played. For Football he bulked up to 340lbs, within a year of his injury he was back at 240lbs and far healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757