The RIP Thread

Actual Prince Philip. :(

People blathering on about "what he done for the country", "he was mentioned in dispatches don't you know". At work we've basically been told to down tools (so not all bad, if I wasn't going to have to make up for it)

What a load. Lots of fellas his age went to war, some of them get medals, many of them get seriously injured or killed. People like my own grandad, who was close to crippled and expected to get by with a fortnightly visit from the district nurse, rather than live in the lap of luxury. All he did for the nation on the global stage was advertise that plenty of us like a racist joke, or at least will forgive multiple offences so long as the offender can be painted as a well-bred cheeky chap who punches way, way down, and that we should all know our place. The sycophancy is this country is a tragedy. Still, rest in peace, yeah?

People blathering on about "what he done for the country", "he was mentioned in dispatches don't you know". At work we've basically been told to down tools (so not all bad, if I wasn't going to have to make up for it)

What a load. Lots of fellas his age went to war, some of them get medals, many of them get seriously injured or killed. People like my own grandad, who was close to crippled and expected to get by with a fortnightly visit from the district nurse, rather than live in the lap of luxury. All he did for the nation on the global stage was advertise that plenty of us like a racist joke, or at least will forgive multiple offences so long as the offender can be painted as a well-bred cheeky chap who punches way, way down, and that we should all know our place. The sycophancy is this country is a tragedy. Still, rest in peace, yeah?
My gran used to say to me that if you can’t find anything good to say about someone then perhaps it is better not to say anything at all...

All he did for the nation on the global stage was advertise that plenty of us like a racist joke, or at least will forgive multiple offences so long as the offender can be painted as a well-bred cheeky chap who punches way, way down, and that we should all know our place. The sycophancy is this country is a tragedy. Still, rest in peace, yeah?
And that there polarised and utterly ridiculous statement is why my gran used to say about finding good in most people was fair.

To define 74 years of marriage and service to a country (regardless of whether you agree with it or not, or harbour grudges for other reasons), is plainly inaccurate and not balanced in any way.

To define 74 years of marriage and service to a country (regardless of whether you agree with it or not, or harbour grudges for other reasons), is plainly inaccurate and not balanced in any way.
Isn't it somewhat bizarre to mourn the end of marriage between two people you've not met, let alone know well, and that's setting aside the long standing rumours of multiple infidelities.
I've already compared his service to the country by others of his generation - but it's a simple fact, of which he should be glad, that he didn't give nearly as much as others.
You talk about balance, but people die and marriages end every day - and have been doing so at an accelerated rate recently too. How is it balanced to have this focus on one person who you can do little more than imagine?

I think it's sad that he's died, in the same way that I think it's sad when most people die. The fact that they've shut down pretty much all of the BBC schedule for it is a bit OTT though. I could understand it being on 5 Live, but the entire BBC radio network is now covering it.

Isn't it somewhat bizarre to mourn the end of marriage between two people you've not met, let alone know well, and that's setting aside the long standing rumours of multiple infidelities.
I've already compared his service to the country by others of his generation - but it's a simple fact, of which he should be glad, that he didn't give nearly as much as others.
You talk about balance, but people die and marriages end every day - and have been doing so at an accelerated rate recently too. How is it balanced to have this focus on one person who you can do little more than imagine?
I don’t believe I have used the word mourn anywhere?

To compare his service to others was not what I meant and I think you know that. Just in case you misunderstood - I was talking about a balance on his life, which you chose to polarise as racist and without merit.

Of course death is all around and obviously more so at the moment. But whether you like it or not he has been married to The Queen for 74 years and supported her and indeed, I believe the country for the same period.

To suggest he has no flaws would be stupid, but not so stupid as to criticise someone for a handful of mistakes and perhaps selfish acts in a period of 74 years as a (like it or not) ambassador of our country.

And that there polarised and utterly ridiculous statement is why my gran used to say about finding good in most people was fair.

"Service to a country" is a canned phrase which is pretty meaningless upon any scrutiny. Nurses, binmen and even supermarket workers do more to serve the country than someone who gets to live in the lap of luxury their whole life. How exhausting it must be to go on day trips and holidays on a permanent basis. I think we have served him and his family, not the other way round.

In the absence of 6 Music to listen to, I've resorted to listening to Rage Against the Machine.

You know it homey.

(They're one of my favourite bands though, so an easy choice).

A good choice. I popped down to aldi to get some cans and stuck on our local radio station. Normally doing throwback hour of dance tunes of days gone by (tend to listen to dance in the car but not at home). Simon & Garfunkel was on.....not complaining as it was a good song but we're a ****ing weird country when it comes to things. Going to force myself to grieve just to fit in now.

A good choice. I popped down to aldi to get some cans and stuck on our local radio station. Normally doing throwback hour of dance tunes of days gone by (tend to listen to dance in the car but not at home). Simon & Garfunkel was on.....not complaining as it was a good song but we're a ****ing weird country when it comes to things. Going to force myself to grieve just to fit in now.
It’s my birthday, so I’m off to a mate’s garden for some beers in the cold. I’m sure it’s what Phil would have wanted.

So both BBC1 and BBC2 are now just running the same broadcast horseshit about Phil the Greek

WTF is that all about ?

So both BBC1 and BBC2 are now just running the same broadcast horseshit about Phil the Greek

WTF is that all about ?
Yep, that’s what I was saying earlier. BBC has shut down all of its programming, tv and radio, to cover it. One channel, evidently, isn’t enough.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854