The RIP Thread

Till next time, take care of yourselves and each other.

RIP Jerry Springer

Linda Lewis, at 72 (Same as Frank)
Ahh. She can catch up with him again.

iu

Linda Lewis, at 72 (Same as Frank)
Ahh. She can catch up with him again.

iu
Memories of youth for me. In more than one way.

Musically first. Hearing her on Bowie's Panic in Detroit was the first time I ever looked at track details to find out the name of a backing vocalist. ( I'm too young for it to have been Gimme Shelter ! )
I went out & bought her album a couple of months later from a second hand stall on the market.

To be honest it wasn't my thing as a young teen & I was disappointed. Far too smooth & soulful for my early self. It sat unnoticed in the middle of my record collection as it grew over the next few years.

Then, a couple of years later my girlfriend came across it as she was flicking through. She was my first actual proper girlfriend (spanning the 15/16 just about to & just left school phase)
She let out a little yelp. I turned around & she was stood holding it & staring. I said "what?" she held it up & said "she looks like me !"

She wasn't wrong. She was younger obviously but **** the resemblance was pretty striking. I'd never noticed as I hadn't actually looked at the cover in over 2 years & had pretty much forgotten about it.
But my girlfriend looks like Linda Lewis. ****ing cool !

Of course she insisted that we played it. I still didn't think much of it to be honest. But she loved it. So naturally I gave it to her.
Over a decade later I came across it again by accident in a second hand shop & bought it out of nostalgia more than anything. Then happily discovered that over the intervening years I'd grown into it.

I've still got it. & if nothing else at least in my advancing years I get to look at a professionally posed & shot photo of an idealised version of my teenage girlfriend :043:

Nothing in my life other than music carries those sort of memories. A record collection is a generational diary. Thanks for that Linda. RIP

( & thanks to Claudia too. Last I heard married with 3 grown up kids, a grandson & living in Southampton. Your old man's garage is an awful long time ago now innit girl !! )

Andy Rourke after a long battle with cancer :(

Sad news. A talented fellow.

I hope Morrissey remembers the old adage. Or is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
I was a fan of The Smiths from early '83 and, like most people, loved what Johnny Marr did with the guitar.

When I saw them live on The Tube doing this (below) I was very impressed with Andy Rourke and started listening more to his parts.
In Johnny Marrs autobiography, he does say that Andy was a brilliant player while Johnny was learning guitar properly. They lived in the same area. Also, in the area at the same time was a kid that was massively brilliant at guitar - head and sholders better than everyone. Billy Duffy.

Anyway, dig this...

Also sadly, Pete Brown at 82, saw his band a few times in Leicester. Better known as Jack Bruce's co-songwriter. Sadly the Art School Dance doesn't go on for ever

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854