The slow death of the FA Cup

You’d never recognise it, obviously, but people like you are a direct part of the problem

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it how it is nowadays. I'd much prefer the way football used to be when money wasn't the overwhelming thing in every owners/managers/players mind. If you actually think that money isn't the only thing they care about here, you're deluded. That oh so special FA Cup where routinely lower league teams change practically their entire side for any tie because their players are tired.

Fans? Yeah, of course that's different. Fans of lower league clubs want these games. But when did football ever do anything for fans over finance?

If it were up to me, I'd change the league structure to five leagues of 18 teams. I'd bar teams in Europe from playing in the LC. For the second round of the LC and third round of the FA Cup, I'd do the draw so the lower placed side at the time of the draw always gets the home game. Then replays are fine and make sense. Proportionately, cup matches become much more important and teams might actually start taking them seriously again.

But the above would make incomes less certain - especially from the Championship down so they'd never want it. The FL sides have deliberately made it so they have 46-49 league/playoff matches a season. That's fecking stupid. And that's why replays going was inevitable.

My way of compensating reduced gate receipts would be to take more out of the PL pot and sharing more down the pyramid. But we can't do that, because clubs like ours are so extraordinarily stupidly run that every penny they receive gets thrown immediately at players.

Stopping replays isn't what has ****ed football.

Last edited:
The last peaks on the ecg machine are getting weaker and further apart

Football has been hijacked and killed with the endorsement of the indoctrinated fans.

I mean, just because you agree with someone about something, doesn't mean you're 'like' them does it?

The way to fix that is not to cheapen and downgrade it even further

****s like Morgan, and lots of top tier fans, are using the weaknesses within the FA cup system to justify making the competition even weaker. These are the people who are destroying football.

What they should be doing is pointing out the faults and weaknesses inherent in the FA Cup, and then calling out the FA and EPL to find a way to address them. Won’t happen, obviously, as they can’t see the damage that they are doing. Always the case with enablers.

The FA are too unimaginative and spineless to come up with a solution. The EFL are so pathetically weak that they are just shouting into the wind. The EPL and the money men are all powerful and won’t let it happen. ****s like Morgan are helping it all play out.

It’s ****ed

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564