The US 2020 Election Thoughts/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm, left against right, black against white, remain against leave, Islam against Christian, anti vaxers against vaxers, mask wearers against selfish twats

An independent observer might wish to speculate that someone might stand to gain by deliberately encouraging severe divisions, inflexible extreme views and conflict

He does have a point (not blaming the left, I don't think that was his point) but that sneering and ridiculing isn't going to calm down the tensions that people (largely on the left at the moment) claim to want to calm down, and I'm very left. It was the same four years ago, Trump's right supporters did exactly the same thing and it led to four years of increasing vileness, largely from his side.

If the tensions are going to calm down, then people with platforms need to grow up and act like decent human beings, which unfortunately has never and will never happen. I also am of the opinion that having celebrities constantly coming out and telling people who to vote for (largely left-leaning celebs) only drives people further away. For some reason, they can't relate to a celeb living in a mansion, but feel Johnson and Trump are somehow far more on their level. It's ridiculous and doesn't account for people acting like stubborn morons, but sometimes you have to work with the audience you have.

At least, I think that's BNs point.
There’s certainly a good deal of hypocrisy among those self-identifying as “left”. My experience tells me that there’s a certain stripe of leftist who says one thing and does the opposite, or likes to pick and choose where they apply their espoused values of “equality” and “fairness”.
That was absolutely my point, as I suspect BM knows full well.
So what did you mean by “the really dangerous stuff seems to me to be coming from the left”? What in particular are you referring to?

Mmm, left against right, black against white, remain against leave, Islam against Christian, anti vaxers against vaxers, mask wearers against selfish twats

An independent observer might wish to speculate that someone might stand to gain by deliberately encouraging severe divisions, inflexible extreme views and conflict
It's nothing new either, I just think it's louder now.

There’s certainly a good deal of hypocrisy among those self-identifying as “left”. My experience tells me that there’s a certain stripe of leftist who says one thing and does the opposite, or likes to pick and choose where they apply their espoused values of “equality” and “fairness”.

So what did you mean by “the really dangerous stuff seems to me to be coming from the left”? What in particular are you referring to?
I took the dangerous stuff to mean the sneering and treating the Trumpists as idiots. It's just so very easy to do.

I took the dangerous stuff to mean the sneering and treating the Trumpists as idiots. It's just so very easy to do.
I think in most cases they aren’t, by American standards. I genuinely think a lot of them find out what’s true and force themselves to believe the opposite.

To me all this stuff is no better than poking at a tiger with a stick (hence the zoo comment). It is just going to provoke a response and create danger. I can see assassinations and large scale non compliance with the rule of law in response. And all that will do is make the 'left' angrier and it will just continue to escalate.

It is the 'left' that are doing this because there is a lot of pent up emotion at voting out Trump. It is really stupid though and makes them no better than those they spend their time ridiculing.

I think Biden is handling everything superbly so far. He knows the right approach to take - talking to all Americans and promoting the values and qualities that America has been built on. That is the way to get the majority of people back from their extreme positions. He's just being undermined by those that pretend that they're on his side.

I think in most cases they aren’t, by American standards. I genuinely think a lot of them find out what’s true and force themselves to believe the opposite.

70+ million people - seriously? If it were 5 million it's possible, but no way that it is almost half the voting population.

I think that when people don't see anyone that they feel represents them and their values, that offers them nothing but the same broken promises and talks down to them, many will naturally pick someone that isn't part of that system.

It is surely not a mystery why people voted for Trump, just like why people voted for Johnson here? It's obvious.

Calling people that voted for Trump stupid or deliberately ignorant is exactly the sort of nonsensical argument that fuels this whole thing and perpetuates populist right wing governments.

To me all this stuff is no better than poking at a tiger with a stick (hence the zoo comment). It is just going to provoke a response and create danger. I can see assassinations and large scale non compliance with the rule of law in response. And all that will do is make the 'left' angrier and it will just continue to escalate.

It is the 'left' that are doing this because there is a lot of pent up emotion at voting out Trump. It is really stupid though and makes them no better than those they spend their time ridiculing.

I think Biden is handling everything superbly so far. He knows the right approach to take - talking to all Americans and promoting the values and qualities that America has been built on. That is the way to get the majority of people back from their extreme positions. He's just being undermined by those that pretend that they're on his side.
Oh yeah, assassinations, mass shootings, maybe even further than that. Civil war? And it’s not because Trump is pouring petrol on the flames by trying to cancel the election results and has ordered his cult to believe in nonexistent voter fraud, but rather the fact that some people on Twitter are laughing at them.

seems legit tbh

Oh yeah, assassinations, mass shootings, maybe even further than that. Civil war? And it’s not because Trump is pouring petrol on the flames by trying to cancel the election results and has ordered his cult to believe in nonexistent voter fraud, but rather the fact that some people on Twitter are laughing at them.

seems legit tbh

When people react to 'building a wall' by building a wall, nobody can see anything.

When the repubs get the election thrown out and America disintegrates into a Banana Republic headed by a vindictive and unchecked maniac at least I can blame the sneering left for daring to have a moment of catharsis.

An appropriate quote from Brad Raffensberger (Republican security of state for Georgia)

“For the last, how many months, everyone on our side was talking about all these leftwing radical groups … And then you have people on our side start talking in that same inflammatory language,” he said. “This is a family feud, but we’re going to have to put boundaries on that. We have to talk to each other and lower the rhetoric.”

(my italics)

Interesting also what he says about why he believes Trump lost Georgia. Seems like he reckons that if Trump had kept his trap shut, the Republicans would have got the votes to win.

It's nothing new either, I just think it's louder now.
I think it is newer. Analysis of voter alliances shows quite clearly that since the introduction of the echo chambers of social media, people have gone very much more one way or another. There was a pretty clear convergence to the centre that’s now been completely shattered.

The word over here before the election was if you voted for the wrong side the US would end up like Cuba or Venezuala, I don't think people expected that to happen under the Republicans.

It’s gone a bit mental over there.

Yea been watching for a while now. Seems confusingly easy for them to have got as fas as they have.
Seems like riot police might be getting ready to push them away from the door and back down the stairs.

Don’t know what they’re planning to do with this guy....
A0411698-C6CE-491F-A6C6-FCA78E27E2E0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758