They're talking about us

I know people think playing for England doesn't matter for players but it does matter a lot for foreign players

Get paid or don't get paid matters more.

Plus they will weaken the appeal and prestige of international football to the point where players wont care in the long run.

International football is not enough to stop this.

no what will kill it is fans simply not being interested in it, which most fans won't be, Europe is a great addition to domestic football, a super league might start off hot but it would die on its arse.

Expel any who join from all F.A. Competitions then make them restart from step 10 when it crashes and English clubs won't leave

So good to see the Kop again, and the rest of the ground

Happy days

Goodness me, I remember seeing that on Blue Peter (only 49 years ago).
I used to wonder how it was made and how long it took to erect from start to finish in bad weather (boring stuff).

Great stuff.

Hasn't FIFA just stopped the breakaway league from happening?

They've said no players from that league would be allowed to play international football, but I think there were also other penalties to it
The money offered by FIFA and UEFA will be pocket change compared to the amounts of money that will be available from a European super league, its all about selling games to the Asian, African South and North American markets.

FIFA and UEFA banning the elite footballers from their competions will just make their competitions looked apon by the clubs on the same lines as the Carrabo cup, none of the elite clubs or players will care.

Players like Chilwell and Maguire would double their salaries again so I doubt they would be bothered about be banned from the tin pot competitions that would be left.

FIFA and UEFA are just bricking it as they know if it happens it will spell the end for them, just like Sky movies, Netflix etc ended blockbusters.

The more digital the world becomes the more it will happen

Our owners will want to feed at the top table and it wouldn't surprise me if the new training ground and stadium expansion was just gearing up towards this just incase they get an opportunity to join the super league.

I think people underestimate the importance of international football to a lot of players.

Some England players might seem to not give a shit, but I don't think that's the same for all nations.

Winning the World Cup is still surely the pinnacle for any players career. Yes, expulsion from those competitions might not both some players whose nations don't qualify or unlikely to ever progress in the competition, but would Brazilian, French, Argentinian, German players etc really give up their chance to win a World Cup? I'm not convinced personally.

Excellent

Peter Purves, ex Dr. Who assistant and Spurs supporter.

I remember one Christmas when the presenters exchanged gifts and he got a Tottenham supporters kit - bobble hat, scarf, rosette and rattle. He then got in trouble for saying "All I need now is a train to smash up."

Even my pre-teen self thought that was a very stupid thing to say on live television.

I think people underestimate the importance of international football to a lot of players.

Some England players might seem to not give a shit, but I don't think that's the same for all nations.

Winning the World Cup is still surely the pinnacle for any players career. Yes, expulsion from those competitions might not both some players whose nations don't qualify or unlikely to ever progress in the competition, but would Brazilian, French, Argentinian, German players etc really give up their chance to win a World Cup? I'm not convinced personally.
Maybe but the Internationals don't pay the wages, so Man C offer you £300k a week but you can't play for your country or do you join Leeds who will pay you £10k a week as their turnover is massively reduced because of the new European super league but you can play international football, I won't hold my breath waiting for a footballer to turn money down over playing for their country

Given the choice of A) playing in what will become a second rate league for a smaller team and inevitably taking a pay cut but having the chance to play for your country, or B) play in an elite league with a pay rise but not play international football in de-valued competitions, I seriously doubt there will be many players taking option A.

I'm not suggesting they don't care about international football, and I'm sure they would prefer to play, but if they had to choose then it wouldn't be a difficult one.

play international football in de-valued competitions

This is a Eurocentric perspective. The majority of footballing nations regard the Olympic football tournament as being pretty important when most of us couldn't care less about it. Similarly with FIFA's age group international tournaments.

Players from 'younger' nations tend to regard representing their country as a very big deal. I find it hard to imagine most players from African nations, or e.g. Croatia, Kosovo, shrugging and giving up their chance to do that.

I've been waiting for players to decide that international football is more trouble than it's worth for years, and they haven't started doing it yet. The pandemic would have given players so minded a great excuse, but they still go off to join their national squads.

Not saying that they'd all choose to turn down megabucks, but I think the split would be closer than some here are suggesting. There'd still be a lot of interest and a lot of money left in football shorn of the big gits.

Given the choice of A) playing in what will become a second rate league for a smaller team and inevitably taking a pay cut but having the chance to play for your country, or B) play in an elite league with a pay rise but not play international football in de-valued competitions, I seriously doubt there will be many players taking option A.

I'm not suggesting they don't care about international football, and I'm sure they would prefer to play, but if they had to choose then it wouldn't be a difficult one.
Really? Serious players who are already multi millionaires will want to play for their country.

To give an example, I guarantee that the majority of rugby union players that play abroad at club level will regret their lack of caps for England.

Money counts for a lot, of course, so does pride.

Money counts for a lot, of course, so does pride.
Indeed.

Obviously, in the 'money OR your country' debate there will be takers on both sides. As to how many, that's anyone's guess at this point. Simply conjecture. Personally, I never underestimate greed but readily acknowledge that money would be less important to some. I don't think it's a simple either/or debate though.

For me for instance (and to muddy the issue further) it wouldn't be a matter of 'money v pride' as I hold no real allegiance to any nation and so pride is not a huge motivation. Further, I'd image that there are some that would have absolutely no desire to play for their country ever - such is the dislike they feel for 'their country'. There are clearly extremes in any argument. Who knows how the middle ground stacks up?

To give an example, I guarantee that the majority of rugby union players that play abroad at club level will regret their lack of caps for England.
Yet where do they play?

Based on the post Brexit transfer rules, wouldn't international players be unable to get (and maintain?) work permits without having some international caps?

So if you're playing in the super league for Barcelona, you wouldn't be able to move to Liverpool or Man U?

Based on the post Brexit transfer rules, wouldn't international players be unable to get (and maintain?) work permits without having some international caps?

So if you're playing in the super league for Barcelona, you wouldn't be able to move to Liverpool or Man U?
The points system is more complex than that, it’s not just about international caps.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4363
10Preston 4363