Time to reassess our season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Looking at the league table, I cannot help but think that the best we could possibly hope for this season is 7th. We have too many players out long term and the gap is already prohibitive.

This means that we should rethink what we're aiming for. I don't think that BR should be under pressure if we finish around 12th this season. Yes, it would be a considerable disappointment after the last two years, but there are clear reasons for it.

What we need to focus on is opportunities to rescue something from this season. There are two options here, the FA Cup and the UEFA Conference League. The FA Cup requires 5 wins, the Conference League requires us to progress through 7 matches to win it. Both offer a trophy and a place in next seasons Europa League.

Realistically, we can only get the Europa League via these two routes so surely they should now be our priority? I was all for binning off the Conference League but actually it's our best chance of achieving something. We're currently favourites to win it and there is a strong chance of this if we prioritise it. The FA Cup will be harder with several very strong sides still in it and a tricky 4th round tie to come but there is no reason why we can't have a good go at it.

I've changed my mind about our season and now want us to rotate in PL matches and try to prioritise players for the cup games. It just makes sense in the circumstances.

I don't think we should be ruling out qualifying for the Europa through the league. It should still be the target, especially with players coming back to fitness. League position is also the most important financially so will remain the priority.

Could easily still finish top six

Ludicrous to suggest otherwise imo

I really want us to win the Conference League.

Obviously it would be good to finish as high as possible in the league but the Conference League is by far the best chance we have of getting into the Europa League for next season.

Whatever happens, Youri will be on the way but I think Europa League will still make us attractive to replacements from the continent.

I really want us to win the Conference League.

Obviously it would be good to finish as high as possible in the league but the Conference League is by far the best chance we have of getting into the Europa League for next season.

Whatever happens, Youri will be on the way but I think Europa League will still make us attractive to replacements from the continent.
That assumes that Youri, is a typical ungrateful footballer, and is just looking for the biggest payday, and maybe a better chance of playing in the Champions League, and bears no loyalty or gratitude to the club that brought him out of obscurity onto the world stage! ;)

That assumes that Youri, is a typical ungrateful footballer, and is just looking for the biggest payday, and maybe a better chance of playing in the Champions League, and bears no loyalty or gratitude to the club that brought him out of obscurity onto the world stage! ;)
Well, I was almost with you up until that last bit! ;)

Said it from the start. Europe needs to be our priority this season. A huge reason I was ready to shoot Rodgers into the sun at one point.

Our approach should be simple: try and win trophies.

Said it from the start. Europe needs to be our priority this season. A huge reason I was ready to shoot Rodgers into the sun at one point.

Our approach should be simple: try and win trophies.

I don't agree that it should have been that way from the start of the season. We'd finished 5th twice in a row and were mostly in the top four throughout. We really should have had high expectations in the league. Finishing top four this season should have been priority number one.

All that went to feck the minute Fofana broke his leg. And then they started falling like skittles.

The Europa League group was piss easy. We should have walked it. Napoli were awful and the two other teams were Championship standard. We should have been able to rotate and cruise it. My only major issue with BR is his complete inability to manage us in Europe. Last season was poor. This season has been dreadful.

But we are where we are. If anyone looks at the league table and our player availability and thinks a top six finish is possible, they're nuts. We're also not going to be dragged into the bottom group. So now is the time to rethink priorities. I don't give a shit whether we finish 8th or 14th.

We should still be in the Europa but we fecked it. Now we have to go for the Conference League because it is the best opportunity we have. And the FA Cup is defendible.

Its super hard to assess where we are isn't it.
Will the returning inured players be what we need them to be?
Will the AFCON players return absolutely ruined or will they be a boost (i expect Nigeria to go to Semis at least)?
Will the games in hand be a help or a hinderance given the fixture congestion.

I would say that a solid top half finish and either of the cups we are still in, given the level of injury and absence we have had would be an absolute result this season. Conversely, if we suddenly string 4 or 5 league wins together in our our next 6 games then the top 6 will be very achievable. If that were to become achievable then i'm sure there are some who would want us to throw Europa Conference games....

The average number of points that the 6th placed side has got over the last 5 seasons is 64.

For us to get 64 points we'd need to get 39 points from 20 matches - basically 2 points per game. That's significantly better form that we have achieved in the last two seasons when we were going pretty strongly.

And that's not including the injuries that will continue to affect us for the rest of this season.

Forget a top six finish, it isn't going to happen.

You said possible.
With 20 games to play, win them all that’s 60 points
On top of what we have already, that’s more than 64
Improbable, yes, but definitely possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284