Confirmed Transfer Timothy Castagne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club have agreed terms with Atalanta for the transfer of full-back Timothy Castagne, subject to Premier League and international clearance.

The 24-year-old Belgian international has put pen to paper on a five-year deal with the Foxes and will link up with his new team-mates after the conclusion of the current international break.

Capped seven times by his country, the full-back, who can operate on either side of defence, joined Serie A outfit Atalanta from Genk in 2017 and helped his team qualify for the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League for the first time in their history with a third-place finish in Serie A.

During the 2019/20 season, Castagne played 35 times in all competitions as Atalanta finished third for the second year running and also featured on six occasions in the UEFA Champions League. The Italian side enjoyed an impressive run to the quarter-finals of the competition, where they faced French side Paris Saint-Germain.

On the international stage, he represented Belgium at various youth levels and went on to make his debut for the senior side in a friendly against Scotland at Hampden Park in September 2018. His performances have since seen him earn a further six caps, including a first international goal in a UEFA European qualifier against Kazakhstan in June 2019.

Born in Arlon, he is a product of Genk’s youth system, and made his professional debut in the Belgian Pro League against Club Brugge in September 2014.

Castagne’s debut for Genk came just a few months before that of current City star Wilfred Ndidi, with the two playing regularly together in the same side until the Nigerian international signed for the Foxes in January 2017.

The Belgian international would spend three years with Genk before joining Atalanta and establishing himself as a regular with the Italian club, impressing both on the domestic and European stage.

Castagne, alongside fellow international team-mates Youri Tielemans and Dennis Praet, is currently with the Belgium squad for their upcoming UEFA Nations League fixtures.

Thanks Jeff. I knew you could do something for the club.

Has he told his mum? Sorry!

Good to have biblical names too. I look forward to us signing a Thadeus.

A signing! How exciting!

Still not convinced he's our Chilwell replacement. I suspect he's a squad player but will end up at left back if we don't manage to get Lewis or Tagliafico.

I think it's a good signing on paper though. We needed more cover in several positions, particularly with Europe and our current defensive injuries, and we probably couldn't afford to recruit separately for all of them.

Also has played with Tielemans and Praet, which we knew, but I'd missed the Ndidi connection too. Should help him settle more quickly hopefully.

never heard of Ricardo or Soyuncu before signing so Castagne could well be awesome....

Hey have you tried that coconut shampoo?

Brings the husks up lovely.

Any idea how to pronounce his surname?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861