Tokyo Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shows how times have changed. Used to love the Olympics when I was a kid. Even fantasised about competing in it when I showed some talent as a sprinter at school. Now I'd forgotten it was even on. Couldn't tell you who our medal hopes are or even bring myself to care. Complete non-event for me.

Sad really. These days I just automatically assume they're all on drugs & cheating. Went to buggery as soon as the money arrived. Like everything else I suppose.

There’s that nice smiley lady that flogs sugary yoghurts but I’ve not got a clue other than that.

Seems like there’s been very little noise about it. I loved the 2012 Olympics. I was a student so I was back at mum’s for the summer, I’d had to have an operation and spent two weeks in bed smashing the painkillers, watching the Olympics and having food delivered to me. I think I cried when the lass won gold for GB in the taekwondo.

There has been very little build-up, all I have read in the last few weeks is articles expecting it to be cancelled.

Shows how times have changed. Used to love the Olympics when I was a kid. Even fantasised about competing in it when I showed some talent as a sprinter at school. Now I'd forgotten it was even on. Couldn't tell you who our medal hopes are or even bring myself to care. Complete non-event for me.

Sad really. These days I just automatically assume they're all on drugs & cheating. Went to buggery as soon as the money arrived. Like everything else I suppose.
My daughter's currently engrossed in the skateboarding and tae kwon do. She's especially looking forward to watching karate make its Olympic debut as she got her yellow belt yesterday.

Maybe times didn't change, you did

My daughter's currently engrossed in the skateboarding and tae kwon do. She's especially looking forward to watching karate make its Olympic debut as she got her yellow belt yesterday.

Though at the moment the Covid-Games looks like an empty shell, the sport will shine through - as it has done in the Cycling Road Races, won successively by Richard Carapaz's brilliant ride in the Men's yesterday (Ecuador's first ever gold), and especially the practically unknown Austrian Anna Kiesenhofer who had the balls (so to speak) to strike out on a break after a few kms and rode aggressively throughout to grasp her once in a lifetime's chance for a great victory. Bizarrely, the well-fancied Dutch rider who was a distant silver, thought she had won, as the normal earpieces and realtime information feeds of the professional teams go up the Swanny in the old-style Olympics.

The attack v defence 3 a side basketball is quite surreal, but I'm hoping my old playground favourites of Hot Rice and British Bulldog will be included at Paris 2024.

I wouldn't deny that I've changed. But nobody would deny that the games have too. Just a saturated sponsorship festival. Like all elite sport has become. My focus was always on the athletics like most poeople I suppose. Never really gave much of a shit about the weird minority sports. Although these days I guess at least they're less likely to be mired in drug scandals.

All the skateboarders I used to know were only on drugs when they weren't competing.

It's just been 30 years of scandal after scandal & it's killed it for me. I used to know a guy who was involved with training athletes at youth level (under 18) & he told me the prevalence of drug use is massive & under reported. Basically out of control & the ways of hiding it are outpacing the detection methods. We're talking about children & teens here. Disgusting.

Mind you, the next world cup will be even worse for different reasons I guess.

God the ‘mat’ sports (judo and so on) are ****ing boring to watch.

Like watching two paralytic people trying to start a fight at the chippy.

Some 13 year old girl wins an Olympic gold medal for farting around on a skateboard

Yeah, the very best of high quality competitive world sport right there

Skateboarding shouldn't be at the olympics, but then neither should trotting around on a horse

I've got more time for skateboarders than people who are naturally fast at running and topped up with drugs tbh. Most of the Olympics is a bit shit. Winter one is much better.

I’ve experienced the same loss of interest this time.
I think I’m completely bored of live sport being on TV. We need at least a month where there is **** all on so we can start pining for it again.

The fact that the BBC have lost the full rights has killed it for me. It was great when you could watch the whole thing on the red button. Now it's hard to even know what's going on sometimes as they have to cram everything in.

The fact that the BBC have lost the full rights has killed it for me. It was great when you could watch the whole thing on the red button. Now it's hard to even know what's going on sometimes as they have to cram everything in.

That too. Is it on eurosport or something? I went to put a football match on for background noise while working....there was feck all on BBC.

That too. Is it on eurosport or something? I went to put a football match on for background noise while working....there was feck all on BBC.

It's on Eurosport across three or four channels all showing different events

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758