Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
4PM, Sunday

Sky Sports Premier League / Sky Sports Main Event / Sky Sports Ultra HD

Head-to-head

• Tottenham have lost just one of their past eight home league games against Leicester (W5, D2), a 1-0 defeat in January 2016.
  • Leicester can complete their first league double over Tottenham since 1998-99, following their 2-1 victory in September.
  • There have been 28 goals scored in the past six Premier League meetings, at an average of 4.7 per game.
Tottenham Hotspur

• Tottenham can win four consecutive Premier League matches for the first time at their new stadium.
  • Spurs have lost only one of their seven Premier League fixtures since the restart (W4, D2), a 3-1 defeat at Sheffield United on 2 July.
  • However, they have triumphed in only two of their 13 Premier League matches against teams in the top eight of the table (D3, L8).
  • They have conceded just five goals from set-pieces, fewer than any other side in the division.
  • Son Heung-min has scored six goals and assisted three in his last 10 Premier League appearances.
  • Jose Mourinho has won all four Premier League home fixtures as a manager versus Leicester, by an aggregate score of 10-2.
Leicester City

• Leicester City are guaranteed a top-four finish if they win their remaining two matches.
  • They are winless in their last seven Premier League away games (D3 L4), their longest such run since a sequence of 15 matches ended in February 2017.
  • The Foxes have failed to win their final away fixture of the season for the past 11 seasons since beating Blackburn 4-2 in 1996-97 (D3, L8).
  • Leicester (67) are one short of equalling the club Premier League record for most goals in a single season.
  • Jamie Vardy has scored five goals and assisted three in his last nine Premier League games against Spurs, with four of his five goals coming away from home.
  • Vardy needs just one goal to match his best Premier League return of 24.
  • Brendan Rodgers has won each of his last six Premier League matches as a manager versus Spurs, by an aggregate score of 20-5.

So we stumble into our penultimate game of the season, our 9th in 29 days, battered and bruised, with half a team injured and the rest knackered.

Somehow we need them to raise their game to take on a Spurs side in decent form. It feels a bit like whipping a horse in the final straight; it's all a bit wrong.

It seems an long time ago that Ricardo and Maddison scored the goals to beat Spurs back in September. Both are now missing, along with Chilwell, Soyuncu, Fuchs and Albrighton. James Justin started just his 3rd PL game less than a month ago, and he's now a fixture in the side, about to start his 10th successive match for us.

We have wheeled out Wes Morgan, 36, who had one minute of football since January before being asked to anchor our defence for 90 mins on Thursday evening. Now we ask him to do the same thing 70 hours later. We picked up a rather odd, last minute, last pick, back up central defender in January (Bennett) and he's now critical to us too. Of the old guard that are hanging in there, somehow we keep getting excellence from Evans. Somehow, the likes of Vardy and Ndidi keep going.

Meanwhile, Spurs are sitting quite comfortably. They've only lost once since the restart and they have Son and Kane both scoring regularly. They've only conceded more than once in a game on one occasion since the restart too. They also have something to play for.

So, it's not the best time to play them and we're not in great shape for the task. We play first this time and Chelsea and Man Utd get to see what we do before they play. Can we really pull a result out of this? History suggests not. We've won once there since the MON days - thanks to that header from Huth. Our last league winner there before that came from Gerry Taggart. Is it too much to ask one of the back line to pop up and deliver something special once again? Probably.

So we stumble into our penultimate game of the season, our 9th in 29 days, battered and bruised, with half a team injured and the rest knackered.

Somehow we need them to raise their game to take on a Spurs side in decent form. It feels a bit like whipping a horse in the final straight; it's all a bit wrong.

It seems an long time ago that Ricardo and Maddison scored the goals to beat Spurs back in September. Both are now missing, along with Chilwell, Soyuncu, Fuchs and Albrighton. James Justin started just his 3rd PL game less than a month ago, and he's now a fixture in the side, about to start his 10th successive match for us.

We have wheeled out Wes Morgan, 36, who had one minute of football since January before being asked to anchor our defence for 90 mins on Thursday evening. Now we ask him to do the same thing 70 hours later. We picked up a rather odd, last minute, last pick, back up central defender in January (Bennett) and he's now critical to us too. Of the old guard that are hanging in there, somehow we keep getting excellence from Evans. Somehow, the likes of Vardy and Ndidi keep going.

Meanwhile, Spurs are sitting quite comfortably. They've only lost once since the restart and they have Son and Kane both scoring regularly. They've only conceded more than once in a game on one occasion since the restart too. They also have something to play for.

So, it's not the best time to play them and we're not in great shape for the task. We play first this time and Chelsea and Man Utd get to see what we do before they play. Can we really pull a result out of this? History suggests not. We've won once there since the MON days - thanks to that header from Huth. Our last league winner there before that came from Gerry Taggart. Is it too much to ask one of the back line to pop up and deliver something special once again? Probably.
Translation: Bennett to head the winner from a corner.

I don't expect us to win this game. I do expect us to have a go and do exactly what we did against Sheffield United in terms of our attitude and approach. If we do, and still come away with a defeat I will be disappointed but not pissed off and there is a big difference between the two.

I think Morgan was exceptional against Sheffield United and I have never agreed with the criticism of Bennett - I think he's been good since he was thrown in with almost no preparation. Thomas looks like he can do a job although it's a tough ask against Spurs and Justin was very good in his last game and looks to be a little more comfortable now.

We just need a final push. I'd go with exactly the same team and try and take the game to Spurs. Unfortunately, Spurs not having their fans there helps them; if we score first they won't have that mob on their back!

I can't see us winning but I am forever hopeful. So (and I agree with popillius popillius here) it's the performance that will determine whether I smash things or not. And that's saying something as I hate losing to Spurs.

A point please lads - it could save the TV remote and possibly even my marriage (I'm an even bigger arsehole when we lose)

A point please lads - it could save the TV remote and possibly even my marriage (I'm an even bigger arsehole when we lose)
Have you considered being a bit more proactive about reducing the spousal abuse in your household rather than relying on outside forces to make you less of a ****?

Be interesting to see who plays at right back for Spurs as it seems Aurier will be missing and Walker-Peters is out on loan. Barnes gave Aurier a bit of a torrid time in the game at the KP and I was looking forward to that match up again. By the way I absolutely hate Spurs.

Genuine question, but entirely topical, if their loan contracts are over, would we be able to recall the likes of Slimani or Benkovic?
Bigger question. Would we want to? Benkovic I suppose might be worth looking at but Slimani?! Absolutely ****ing horrendous from minute 1.

the spirit of ‘94, when we won the play-offs despite a huge injury crisis in the latter part of the season if I recall

Colin Gibson, Gary Coatsworth, Jimmy Willis, Ian Ormondroyd, Brian Carey...

I always like the stat that this was Coatworth's final game for City. A Wembley play off final for a PL place in front of 90,000.

You win the richest match in football and where do you go as a 26 year old next?

Yes, of course you do, you move to Spennymore Utd in the Unibond League to play in front of a few hundred people. A club that doesn't even exist any more.

May 2017. It haunts me. A much changed, make shift Leicester got a humiliating dicking. That one hurt. I'm scarred for life by it and live in fear of a repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757