train experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

need to book cheap tickets to London from leics going down on friday 18th june and coming back on either sat or sun-advice please :)

need to book cheap tickets to London from leics going down on friday 18th june and coming back on either sat or sun-advice please :)

When will you decide the day of your return journey? Are you willing to travel on specified trains?

If you just want to turn up on the Friday and catch the first train that arrives and/or you don't know the day of your return, the fare is £47.80 (Super-Off Peak Return) if you leave Leicester after 10 a.m. on the Friday. If you want to leave earlier than that, you will need to pay £66.00 for an Off-Peak Return. If you want to leave before 8:45 a.m., it's £118 for Anytime Return.

If you are willing to travel on specified trains in both directions, you can by an Advance Single to London for as little as £11 on the Friday. For a return journey on the Saturday, many trains still have Advance Singles at £14 in both Standard and First Classes - the last train still has £11 Advance Singles. On the Sunday about half the trains still have £14 Advance Singles - some of them, particularly in the evening, in First Class as well as Standard.

Super-Off Peak, Off-Peak and Anytime tickets can be bought at these prices at the time of travel. Advance tickets must be bought in eeerrr... advance and are subject to availability. Advance tickets will cost £1 more if bought other than from http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk

Well I reckon i will get the train down about 3 on the friday afternoon and on the sunday at anytime after 12 i guess. I have a railcard too. Just wondering if there were certain trains cheaper than others on those dates

Well I reckon i will get the train down about 3 on the friday afternoon and on the sunday at anytime after 12 i guess. I have a railcard too. Just wondering if there were certain trains cheaper than others on those dates

Friday
14:57 from Leicester to St Pancras - Advance Single with a 16-25 railcard = £9.25

Sunday
12:00, 12:30, 13:30, 15:00, 15:30 from StP to Leicester - Advance Single with a 16-25 railcard = £9.25. Other services £11.20

I need to get a train back up to Leicester in the middle of June from Luton. If I get a direct ticket it is £39. However, if I can get the same train and just buy tickets from Luton to Kettering and then Kettering to Leicester it is only £29.

Is there anything stopping me from doing this and then just staying on the train for the whole journey?

I need to get a train back up to Leicester in the middle of June from Luton. If I get a direct ticket it is £39. However, if I can get the same train and just buy tickets from Luton to Kettering and then Kettering to Leicester it is only £29.

Is there anything stopping me from doing this and then just staying on the train for the whole journey?

You can step off and back on at Kettering if you wish just to be safe.

If you travel on the first train of the day, you can usually do this journey for £13 providing you buy an Advance Single early enough - or after 9 in the evening, £10 Advance Singles are usually available.

You can step off and back on at Kettering if you wish just to be safe.

What?? And risking losing his seat!!

It would be completely unnecessary to do so; the possibility is even specifically dealt with in the T&Cs.

In fact it is sometimes possible to do such a journey without even passing through the intermediate station. For example, people travelling at certain times of the day/week found that a Leicester to Derby ticket plus a Derby to Sheffield ticket was cheaper than a through Leicester to Sheffield ticket. And then discovered that using Nottingham as the intermediate point, the tickets were even cheaper. Of course travelling via Nottingham was much slower, BUT... by virtue of the fact that both Leicester to Nottingham and Nottingham to Sheffield is valid via Derby, people could change tickets at Derby and never go anywhere near Nottingham even though Nottingham was written on both tickets.

Complicated innit?

In fact it is sometimes possible to do such a journey without even passing through the intermediate station. For example, people travelling at certain times of the day/week found that a Leicester to Derby ticket plus a Derby to Sheffield ticket was cheaper than a through Leicester to Sheffield ticket. And then discovered that using Nottingham as the intermediate point, the tickets were even cheaper. Of course travelling via Nottingham was much slower, BUT... by virtue of the fact that both Leicester to Nottingham and Nottingham to Sheffield is valid via Derby, people could change tickets at Derby and never go anywhere near Nottingham even though Nottingham was written on both tickets.

I bet those long winter evenings just fly by in your house :icon_bigg

bocadillo said:
What?? And risking losing his seat!!

It would be completely unnecessary to do so; the possibility is even specifically dealt with in the T&Cs.
You do know I was taking the piss, right?

Wrong, there was an article in Which this month about such events, would you like me to post it to you Bob?

:icon_lol:

Post it here. It won't be the first time Which has been wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46