Tube strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Supposed to be in London for a meeting on Monday. Never been when there is a tube strike before. Anyone had experience of taxis/buses on such a day ?

Buses are all ways much fuller and harder to get on, and depending on where you're going a taxi may be prohibitively expensive. I did a lot more cycling when I lived in London (one of many who got seriously into it after bombings), and considering how much friendlier it is to that than any other part of the country I know, I'd really recommend you get in to it to.

A lot of businesses are well used to the strikes, so depending on your boss there might be some leniency on getting in late or working from home - you know them better than me but it's worth asking.

You can cross the city stunningly quickly on a bike - my favourite way to move about the horrible, smelly place.

Well I'll be getting there from Cardiff and haven't cycled for years so wasn't planning to take my bike.

Depends where you have to get to - some tube lines will be more disrupted than others.

Check the TFL site - they have details of the expected impact, plus an alternative travel planner.

Can you not hire bikes now from those "bike stations" for about a quid a day?

I've experienced one day in London where lines were closed etc. It really depends on your route and time of day really; in my experience timewise was the same, just a bit of effort logistically. The tube assistant was brilliant with me as he was local and knew what road routes/buses would be very,very busy.

Paddington - Angel. Looked at Tfl and I should be able to get there through some combo of tube and walking.
Hi Glyn. As you've probably noticed, it looks likely that you will only be able to access the Bakerloo Line at Paddington. If that's running you will want to take that and change for the Northern Line. It looks like Charing Cross station will be closed so you might want to change at Embankement or Waterloo. Angel station looks like it will not be open, so it looks like a walk from Euston or King's Cross St Pancras to Angel. Best of luck!

Paddington - Angel. Looked at Tfl and I should be able to get there through some combo of tube and walking.

205 bus runs all the way and much of it has the advantage of bus lanes.

walked from Euston to Liverpool St this morning

those Boris Bikes look good, but you have to register the day before

Tubes weren't bad for me, got on bakerloo then Victoria to kings cross from Oxford circus. Was a bit late but could have been much worse. Now jumped in a taxi to avoid any potential hassle and cos I'm lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  39
2Liverpool39
3Brighton37
4Arsenal37
5Newcastle37
6Brentford36
7Aston Villa36
8Bournemouth35
9Nottm F35