Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
a greek that hates turks? surely not

i wasn't aware that women gave up headscarves, unless you mean in schools and universities?

and as for your nonsensical EU comment:-

1) it's hardly the EU's job to rule on clothing
2) Turkey isn't in the EU

they are bringing headscarves back to women. its a slippy slope! when is the european union going to do something!

horrible country

Am I to understand that no Greek Orthodox women wear headscarves? :102:

I going to Turkey for the first time for my hols this year. Do the women get their tits out on the beaches?

I going to Turkey for the first time for my hols this year. Do the women get their tits out on the beaches?

Yes, and if your taking your missus you may get very lucky and some greasy waiter will take her off your hands. Result IMO :icon_wink

Darth & Steven,
Darth
1. 'Turkey isn't in the EU' - not yet but some countries are pushing for it (UK) and some are against (Germany). I think the real point of the poster is that Turkey is so culturally different it is better not to admit them into the Union.
2. 'it's hardly the EU's job to rule on clothing'; the point is that Turkey is proposing to make it a legal requirement that their women have to wear it. Thus it is a matter of human rights - which is an EU matter - and a slide towards Islamist oppression of women. Again, something the EU should be against. Part of the rationale to go into Afghanistan was the way the Taliban treated women. One matter was that if women didn't cover up sufficiently you could be beaten up on the spot by any men who saw you, often savagely. We certainly wouldn't want a country in the Union that decreed by law women must cover up - and would ulimately bring back a culture that you could beat them if they don't.
Steven
'Am I to understand that no Greek Orthodox women wear headscarves?'
Out of choice due to age, modesty or fashion - but not due to compulsion which is what Turkey are proposing to do, so this is completely different. Wearing headscarves in Greek Orthodox communities seems pretty much something the older women only do - the rest seem not to. If a minority do so that would be down to fashion or modesty - i.e choice, again not due to compulsion.

Last edited:
Turkey is proposing to make it a legal requirement that their women have to wear it. Thus it is a matter of human rights - which is an EU matter - and a slide towards Islamist oppression of women. Again, something the EU should be against. It was part of the rationale to go into Afghanistan - the way the Taliban treated women. One matter was that if women didn't cover up sufficiently you could be beaten up on the spot by any men who saw you, often savagely.

By 'rationale' do you mean 'irrational spin-doctoring and media manipulation'?

Macky,
well - yes, I'm opposed to the intervention in Afghanistan & Iraq where the alleged reasons for going in were full of properganda. However one of the things the new powers have done is reverse some of this oppression. Under the Taliban girls could no longer go to schools, women to work - and houses with women in them had to have their windows blacked out. Obscenely oppressive stuff. Many women committed suicide, especially educated/professional women. However this is a bit of a digression to my post to support alarm at the prospect of Turkey joining the EU and that what is going on there is very much a human rights issue.
Don't forget also the illegal occupation of northern Cyprus, another reason why Turkey cannot and should not be admitted into the Union.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Chelsea510
3Arsenal410
4Newcastle410
5Liverpool49
6Aston Villa49
7Brighton48
8Nottm F48