New Contract Two (or 3?) more years for Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club can confirm that midfielder Nampalys Mendy has signed a contract extension to the end of the 2021/22 season.

A short-term agreement was reached to allow the 28-year-old to continue to represent the Foxes in the resumption of the 2019/20 campaign, with his time at King Power Stadium now extended until at least 2022.

Leicester City Manager Brendan Rodgers told LCFC.com: “I’ve enjoyed working with Papy since I arrived at Leicester City and the more I’ve seen of him, the more impressed I’ve been, so I’m delighted he’s extended his deal with the Club as he has an important role to play.

“To have someone with his experience, quality and maturity is a big boost for us, especially with European football next season. He’s been first class for me and has played very well every time he’s featured, so I’m delighted that ‘he’s committed to continuing to be part of what we’re trying to build at Leicester City.”

The Frenchman signed for Leicester City in the summer of 2016 from Ligue 1 side Nice, after three impressive seasons for Les Aigles, who he joined after starting his career with AS Monaco.

In total, Mendy has played 49 times for the Foxes in the Premier League, UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup – including eight appearances this campaign and two since the season restart.

Mendy’s debut came in the 2016 Community Shield against Manchester United at Wembley, and while injury limited his appearances during that season, he returned from a loan spell with former team Nice to play 32 times for the Foxes in 2018/19.

He will now stay with the team as they prepare for the 2020/21 season and another campaign of European football.

Good news. Always thought he had something to offer as a squad player. We certainly are better off keeping him than signing a new player for however much. Never thought he'd be interested to be honest.

Another ludicrous decision.

And Danny Simpson is back training with us I hear, joining Andy King.

We can't get rid of anyone.

So we're that desperate for £70 from each season ticket holder but are pissing money away like this? Gobsmacked!

Another ludicrous decision.

And Danny Simpson is back training with us I hear, joining Andy King.

We can't get rid of anyone.
Nothing wrong with them training with us, surely? I mean, I guess if they're not part of the club they shouldn't be ideally, but no harm?

What the blue blazing **** have we done that for?

Nowhere near good enough to start, not even close. And a pretty poor and desperate back-up option

i have a growing sense of doom about this coming season

It's pretty damn imperative if long-standing members of our club backroom will be leaving, that Brendan stays and does well at the club for a decent length of time. Also, how important are the old guard to the players? It all hinges on that to be honest. If BR and his team have built up a stellar relationship with the lads then that's not so bad, but if not then we could see big problems.

Meh, I don't see a problem with it personally.

He's a 4th/5th choice centre mid (between him and Hamza) and we need more than 4 centre mids for the new season.

As long we're not paying him a fortune, it makes more sense having him there than paying to bring in someone new, particularly if transfer funds are as low as we're led to believe. I don't see many players wanting to come to be 4th/5th choice.

He will play more next season anyway with Europa League games. I suspect he will start regularly in those.

I understand this move. We have a very good starting midfield three and we also have Praet who I think will also become very good for us. We are not going to sign another excellent midfielder who is going to sit on the bench for large parts of the season. What we've got is a steady player who will come in for league cup and the odd Europa game. Don't forget we quite possibly will be overloaded with games this season. We've also got someone who fits in with the squad ethics and is a good influence around the younger players. My betting is we've also got him on reduced terms. A sensible low risk decision.

I guess this is another sign that our young players aren't going to be breaking through.

Meh, I don't see a problem with it personally.

He's a 4th/5th choice centre mid (between him and Hamza) and we need more than 4 centre mids for the new season.

As long we're not paying him a fortune, it makes more sense having him there than paying to bring in someone new, particularly if transfer funds are as low as we're led to believe. I don't see many players wanting to come to be 4th/5th choice.

He will play more next season anyway with Europa League games. I suspect he will start regularly in those.
Completely agree.

Knew this was coming. Honestly, love it. He's not Wilf, obviously, but he’s looked decent when he’s played. More games in a shorter window this season, why not re-sign someone we already know can play rather than gambling on someone new?

Even more so when transfer funds are limited too.

Tbh, if Wilf got injured/suspended then I'd put Mendy in as a replacement ahead of Hamza.

Mendy may not be the most exciting player or a shirt seller but always seemed very tidy when playing for us and not looked out of depth at all.

No complaints here either.

He must be planning to play him in League Cup and perhaps relevant European games where his experience and success (ish) in France will work in the game. Also to ensure we aren't burning out Ndidi in all those games.
If he starts playing him ahead of any of the other 3 holding midfielders we have (Ndidi, Praet, Choudhury) then i think we are in trubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757