New Contract Two (or 3?) more years for Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he starts playing him ahead of any of the other 3 holding midfielders we have (Ndidi, Praet, Choudhury) then i think we are in trubs.

He is a much better option than Choudhury. The problem for Mendy is when he is played alongside Ndidi. As the first-choice backup for Ndidi, he is a decent/good option.

Choudhury off then?

So then, clearly he was worth a new contract but the real question is how good is he? Is he a starter or are we just waiting for Wilf to return?

I think he's well and truly shown himself to be an option, and a tactical one rather than a simple replacement.

He and Wilf are different types of player and give us the chance to change shape/tactics during a game. It's not simply about Mendy v Ndidi, its also about balance; playing one or the other enables us mix things up generally with regard to others players.

Some of the posts in this thread....

To be fair none of us could possibly have seen this extraordinary improvement in Mendy coming.

He is nothing whatsoever like the player we've occasionally watched over the last few years. He's admitted as much himself.

What this shows is that Steve Walsh was right about him but his combination of injuries and general failure to adapt meant that we never saw his potential until now.

It's also notable how happy he seems to be all of a sudden. He talks on the pitch now and seems to be part of the group whereas previously he's always seemed to be an outsider.

I guess we all have to take this as evidence that you should never write someone off.

To be fair none of us could possibly have seen this extraordinary improvement in Mendy coming.

He is nothing whatsoever like the player we've occasionally watched over the last few years. He's admitted as much himself.

What this shows is that Steve Walsh was right about him but his combination of injuries and general failure to adapt meant that we never saw his potential until now.

It's also notable how happy he seems to be all of a sudden. He talks on the pitch now and seems to be part of the group whereas previously he's always seemed to be an outsider.

I guess we all have to take this as evidence that you should never write someone off.
Except Junior Lewis

We are now beginning to see why we thought he could replace Kante. He has been top class this season! He needs to keep up this level of performance but if he can, we probably have the 2 best defensive midfielders in the league.

He's been playing very well - but I saw this thread reappear and thought we were giving him another contract extension already!

That would be typical us.

Glad to see I'm not looking like an idiot from my original post in this thread ;)

I always saw a decent player badly hampered by injuries. It was never his ability that was in question...not entirely dissimilar to James. Difference being Mendy appears to have turned the corner.

I always saw a decent player badly hampered by injuries. It was never his ability that was in question...not entirely dissimilar to James. Difference being Mendy appears to have turned the corner.
I disagree, I think the games he played he looked mediocre.
The player we have this season has been something else, and has made everything tick. He, Youri and Praet have been crucial

I always thought he was desperately unlucky to be so badly injured so early on, and then when fit, to be often played alongside Ndidi during those dark days where we'd play two defensive midfielders. Can't say I foresaw just how good he could be, but I did think as his contract expired that he'd be a good player for anyone outside the Big Six. Probably says more about my boundless optimism for Leicester players than anything else!

Fair play to the club for re-signing him, it's looking like a masterstroke in that somehow we've not missed Ndidi, who I'd have said was our most important player after Vardy.

I did. I saw enough in the 20 minutes against Arsenal before he was injured to believe he was a quality player. He is probably a better player than Wilf because he has more assets like being able to make a telling pass forwards to the wings, to Maddison or to Vardy. He also has the ability to keep the ball under pressure and win it back if necessary. I happen to think right now I would prefer him in our team to Kante.

...I happen to think right now I would prefer him in our team to Kante.
I was thinking about this earlier but I think I would still go with Kante. He has more ability on the ball and can go past players where Mendy doesn't.

Love this thread he's gone from being dog shit to world class in about a dozen posts
Usually happens in 90 mins in most match threads.

Hopefully this will mean Perez should start banging in hat-tricks shortly the useless duffer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757