Under 21s / Youth 2022/23

Will Alves is a very exciting prospect. Suspect that tackle will be another learning curve for him as that's the sort of treatment you attract with showboating which I've heard Brendan is trying to get him to cut out of his game. As with all potentially mercurial talents two things are a.) respect for your opponents and b.) don't overdo things all the time if there's a non-greedy option.
Why on earth would it ever be a good idea to coach creativity and individuality out of a footballer? BN noted this in the match thread against MK Dons and he's absolutely right; if this is happening then it's a terrible way to create exceptional players. Look at players like Ronaldo, Mbappe, Neymar; greedy, showboating footballers who have the world at their feet. Kane is another who would never ever pass a ball if he's the faintest chance of getting himself on the scoresheet.

It happens in lots of sports. Take Steven Finn in Cricket. Bowling at 90mph plus until some bright spark of a coach tried to change his approach so he was more 'text book'. What happened? He lost heaps of pace and accuracy and never really fulfilled his potential.

Let players blossom and bloom. If they want to show off and do something individual then encourage it but tell them that if it costs the team they will get bollocked. Don't coach it out of them; expect they will get it wrong from time to time but the payoff is often well worth it.

That's such awful news. You can accept random injuries but that wasn't one. The suggestions from the player that Alves was taking the piss was nonsense. I watched the game and. if anything, Alves toned down his natural game. He mixed up his dribbling and his passing more than I've ever seen him.

It's a wonder any talented young players make it when they are confronted with coaches trying to coach out their individuality and inferior thugs too brain dead to accept being beaten by a better player.

Has this been said?

Several of the City players and people close to them have claimed he said "someone should have done that earlier" on the pitch at the time. There are a few young City players making their feelings known on their social media too. For example:

Several of the City players and people close to them have claimed he said "someone should have done that earlier" on the pitch at the time. There are a few young City players making their feelings known on their social media too. For example:

Post from his dad:

C95D022E-6C97-48A7-BA74-73BC59FE817B.jpeg

Weird how the tweet with the video of the "tackle" has been removed. Perhaps because it contained violence?

An injury? To one of our players?

Ha, beat me to it - I was thinking at least we have some consistency between the U23s and the seniors!

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854