VAR: like it or not it is here to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of the EPL VAR educational programme, FT Board member Steve Moulds along with other FSA PL Network members, attended an information and demonstration session at IMG HQ, Stockley Park.
Well done. I'm delighted for him!

ffs

Stockley Park... I've passed it on a number of occasions. Kinda like a corporate Disneyland playpark kind of a place; tree lined boulevards, water features, concrete (lots of concrete) and 'big corp' signs abound... the sort of place of which I'm sure there are a number dotted around the country. 'Nice' to look at, I suppose, all clean and identikit bland. The area surrounding it though, that's a shithole. A shithole with identity and character at least, but a shithole nonetheless.

Sat there, gawping at VAR tech... dear lord... it really would lead you to ponder the point of, well, anything and everything. Offside, onside? Who gives a shit? If there was a pub, you'd be off down there sharpish.

What's to understand about the process?

Incompetent ref/lino makes wank/no decision.

Guy in armchair watching telly lets ref/lino know what a **** they've made of themselves while fans stand around getting cold.

Man City still win the league.

No change.

What's to understand about the process?

Incompetent ref/lino makes wank/no decision.

Guy in armchair watching telly lets ref/lino know what a **** they've made of themselves while fans stand around getting cold.

Man City still win the league.

No change.
Don’t forget that the fans have to get used to their new role of standing there scratching their arses whenever a goal goes in just in case the ball grazed someone’s pinkie 30 seconds before.

How long until people just stop celebrating Vardy's goals because there will be an offside delay?

I think the biggest change we will see are strikers trying to hit the ball against defenders arms to get a penalty.

Will VAR look for attackers diving in the penalty box, even if they do not appeal for a penalty

It's like the fans have had no input at all to how this will work and that the FA are at the vanguard of video replay.

In almost every other sport which has used video replay for some time, the managers/players have a say in what will be reviewed. Cricket, tennis, American football, baseball all have challenge options, yet football still leaves reviews exclusively in the hands of referees.

Surely it would make sense to give managers the ability to have plays reviewed which would go some way to stop players crowding refs and put the ball in their court, so to speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363