VAR, Lofty the Lion and the flying Harry Gregg

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

The disallowing of the Wolves goal against Leicester involves a rule that I think is absurd. Yo show how things have changed I have included a goal from the 1958 cup final. The scorer is Nat Lofthouse of Bolton; the goalkeeper flying into the net is Harry Gregg It is debatable whether Lofthouse was the best ever centre forward; it is not debatable that he was the most exciting ever. Sixty years later the Bolton mascot is still Lofty the Lion. Not not only does the referee accept the goal but so do the Man U players. Acting Man U Manager even congratulates Lofthouse. The goal in question starts about one and a half minutes into the video.No VAR needed here

Rhat goal should never have been given. When I was first taught the rules of football, shoulder charging the goalkeeper was allowed, as long as it wasn't within the six yard area, in fact in was still called the goal area then. Even taking that into account it wasn't really a shoulder charge.

The disallowing of the Wolves goal against Leicester involves a rule that I think is absurd. Yo show how things have changed I have included a goal from the 1958 cup final. The scorer is Nat Lofthouse of Bolton; the goalkeeper flying into the net is Harry Gregg It is debatable whether Lofthouse was the best ever centre forward; it is not debatable that he was the most exciting ever. Sixty years later the Bolton mascot is still Lofty the Lion. Not not only does the referee accept the goal but so do the Man U players. Acting Man U Manager even congratulates Lofthouse. The goal in question starts about one and a half minutes into the video.No VAR needed here

I cannot think of anything to say in response to this post. Erm, give me a minute.

Did you know that Sandi Toksvig was born on the same day as that Cup Final?

I bet you didn't.

Did you know that Sandi Toksvig was born on the same day as that Cup Final?

I bet you didn't.

The BBC rightly chose to show the cup final rather than the birth of Sandi Tokswig

. The men of the 1950s (no women) would sit round the TV for the cup final These were not the kind of men who would have appreciated the BBC leaving the cup final to give updates on the labour pains of Mrs Toksvig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757