Injury News Vardy - Hernia Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iheanacho is an interesting character off the pitch isn't he?

I was innocently googling about him thinking I would put together some stats about his scoring pedigree in his defence when I stumble across all sorts of stuff. For a 'devout christian' he appears to have some interesting interpretations of right and wrong.

Apparently, he has / has had six women on the go at one time, most of whom seem to have children by him and it blew up about a year ago and they then discovered each others existence. His ex wife (he's got a new one, maybe not the second wife) claims that the person he claims is his 14 year old 'brother' is not his brother but actually his son.

No wonder he seems distracted a lot of the time. Iheanacho is 24 - apparently. Maybe he's actually older than Vardy!
It would seem that you've found a 'devout christian' who''s turned out to be a complete hypocrite.

I have to say I'm shocked.

Must be a unique case surely? :cool:

The old trope about black players 'being older than they say they are' is right up there with 'is blessed with great athleticism' in dogwhistle things that people don't say about white players.
The first one is a weird hangover from colonial times so **** knows why it still exists today, but have heard fake DOB levelled at everyone from Roger Milla to Freddie Adu to Emily Heskey. Like in some way in modern society, professional black people can still have invented their own ancestry and paperwork.
The second one is the worse one and pigeon holes black players as physically powerful / explosive rather than skilfully and intelligent. Read Mane, Pogba, Sterling, Lukaku, Kante vs their white counterparts.

The old trope about black players 'being older than they say they are' is right up there with 'is blessed with great athleticism' in dogwhistle things that people don't say about white players.
The first one is a weird hangover from colonial times so **** knows why it still exists today, but have heard fake DOB levelled at everyone from Roger Milla to Freddie Adu to Emily Heskey. Like in some way in modern society, professional black people can still have invented their own ancestry and paperwork.
The second one is the worse one and pigeon holes black players as physically powerful / explosive rather than skilfully and intelligent. Read Mane, Pogba, Sterling, Lukaku, Kante vs their white counterparts.

Well said Sparky, thought the same about the age thing tbh.

It's a pretty horrendous stereotype

That's nonsense. It is a well known problem with players from Nigeria. It's something that is documented in many articles and reports.

Yakubu's own brother spoke about how his age was manipulated and his time at Leicester was the first time I read about it. I hadn't considered that Iheanacho could be part of this until I read that his ex wife had made the claim that he has a 14 year old son.

It's something that comes with the territory in countries where registering births are not commonplace. My own wife's parents have no idea how old they are because they never had birth certificates and their parents didn't mark such things. In Nigeria, there has been exploitation of this sort of thing to improve footballers prospects.

Why on earth is referencing this racist?

There is no more reason to believe iheanacho is '24 apparently, maybe he's older than Vardy' based on the fact that 'Yakubu is also a Nigerian' than there is to suggest that Jonny Evans is a gambling addict becuase he comes from Northern Ireland like Keith Gillespie.
Legitimately thinking you can question someones quoted age based on that is the thing that's nonsense.
I stand by what i said. People don't say it about white players in the same way they attribute greater intelligence, leadership and skill to white players (maverick, genius, wizard, matador, conductor) whilst referring to black players in more physical terms 'a beast', 'heavyweight' 'physical prowess', 'explosive'.

There is no more reason to believe iheanacho is '24 apparently, maybe he's older than Vardy' based on the fact that 'Yakubu is also a Nigerian' than there is to suggest that Jonny Evans is a gambling addict becuase he comes from Northern Ireland like Keith Gillespie.
Legitimately thinking you can question someones quoted age based on that is the thing that's nonsense.
I stand by what i said. People don't say it about white players in the same way they attribute greater intelligence, leadership and skill to white players (maverick, genius, wizard, matador, conductor) whilst referring to black players in more physical terms 'a beast', 'heavyweight' 'physical prowess', 'explosive'.

But I'm not using white/black stereotypes or creating them out of thin air. I'm mentioning something from an article that quoted Iheanachos ex wife. And linking it to known facts about multiple Nigerian players because it's obvious to do so.

Your example comparing it to Gillespie/Evans misses the point completely.

Had I been calling Iheanacho out for laziness (like many do) you might have a point. But I started my original post by referencing the fact that my original intent was to defend his performances, something I've done multiple times because the colour of his skin doesn't matter to me one bit.

Iheanacho is an interesting character off the pitch isn't he?

I was innocently googling about him thinking I would put together some stats about his scoring pedigree in his defence when I stumble across all sorts of stuff. For a 'devout christian' he appears to have some interesting interpretations of right and wrong.

Apparently, he has / has had six women on the go at one time, most of whom seem to have children by him and it blew up about a year ago and they then discovered each others existence. His ex wife (he's got a new one, maybe not the second wife) claims that the person he claims is his 14 year old 'brother' is not his brother but actually his son.

No wonder he seems distracted a lot of the time. Iheanacho is 24 - apparently. Maybe he's actually older than Vardy!
I assume this is your reliable source?

I'm not sure about that. Jay Jay Okocha was a magician. Huth was a tank.
Henry was brilliant. Andy Carroll was a beast.
Similarly Drogba was both a genius and a tank.

I've got no evidence to support my generalist rebuttal - but similarly I'd be interested in some sort of proof that what you're saying is valid there sparky. Is it just a feeeling, or something quite serious that I've missed?
Or... is it just lazy punditry?

I'm not sure about that. Jay Jay Okocha was a magician. Huth was a tank.
Henry was brilliant. Andy Carroll was a beast.
Similarly Drogba was both a genius and a tank.

I've got no evidence to support my generalist rebuttal - but similarly I'd be interested in some sort of proof that what you're saying is valid there sparky. Is it just a feeeling, or something quite serious that I've missed?
Or... is it just lazy punditry?

Pretty clearly illustrates the stereotypes at play in football commentary, the way in which we pretty much all hear football described

Almost as cut and dry as the fact that questioning whether Iheanacho is 24 is based on utter bollocks.
I won't bang on about it, and not a snowflake, but didn't like the basis of the post is all. People can agree or not - which is also fine.

Pretty clearly illustrates the stereotypes at play in football commentary, the way in which we pretty much all hear football described

Almost as cut and dry as the fact that questioning whether Iheanacho is 24 is based on utter bollocks.
I won't bang on about it, and not a snowflake, but didn't like the basis of the post is all. People can agree or not - which is also fine.
Ok that is valid because dogwhistle phrases are and have for years been part of everyday football speak, but this isn’t the same in any respect whatsoever.

There was an infamous scandal surrounding the birth certificates of Nigerian footballers at the 1988 Olympics. That’s not racist generalising, it’s a recorded historical fact.

Some people who have or have had personal relationships with multiple footballers have alleged that the players are older than their claimed age. Again, not a generalisation — it’s the exact opposite. It’s extremely specific. Those players include both Yakubu Ayegbeni and (apparently) Kelechi Iheanacho. That they are both Nigerian is, for our purposes, irrelevant. People in their own social circle have said these things.

These types of falsification are easier to come by in some countries than in others. Do some digging into how and why, and you’ll unearth some pretty racist shit soon enough.

BN’s comment? Not even on the same continent as racist.

Not read all the comments but Ndidi was once kicked out of an U17 tournament after an MRI scan:

Can't find the original BBC article but this one references it as it's source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263