Pre Match Watford v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Watford have only won two of their nine Premier League meetings with Leicester (D1 L6), though both of those wins have come in their last two home games against them.

Leicester have won their last two league games against Watford, last winning three in a row against the Hornets in August 1999.

Since Watford’s return to the Premier League in 2015-16, meetings between them and Leicester have seen more penalty goals than any other fixture in the competition (5).

Watford are looking to keep three consecutive home clean sheets in the Premier League for the first time since April 2017.

This will be Brendan Rodgers’ first Premier League encounter with former club Watford – he has registered at least one win against 27 of the 29 clubs he’s faced in the competition, failing only against Chelsea (eight games) and Wolves (2).

Brendan Rodgers is taking charge of his first match as Leicester manager – he has failed to win his first league game in charge of the previous four teams he’s managed in English football (W0 D2 L2).

Including caretakers, Leicester’s last five managers have won their first Premier League match in charge (Ranieri, Shakespeare, Appleton, Puel and Stowell). The last Foxes boss to lose his first game in charge was Dave Bassett in October 2001 against Chelsea.

Jamie Vardy has scored the first Premier League goal under Leicester’s last three permanent managers (Claudio Ranieri, Craig Shakespeare and Claude Puel), also finding the net in Mike Stowell’s game in caretaker charge against Brighton.

Jamie Vardy has scored 98 goals in all competitions for Leicester. He could become the seventh player to net 100 for the Foxes, and the first since Gary Lineker (103).

Troy Deeney is Watford’s highest goalscorer in the Premier League this season. However, just one of his seven goals has come at Vicarage Road (vs Tottenham in September).

Look who we've got !!

Referee: Jonathan Moss
Assistants: Marc Perry, Andy Halliday
Fourth official: Simon Hooper

Should be a comfortable 3 points here really.

Watford have been softened up very nicely after a battering in the week and combined with new the manager effect for us and the players also being released from the shackles should make it fairly comfortable for us.

Watford have been softened up very nicely after a battering in the week.
True - but I suspect Watford will have been working in training to toughen up their defence. If we could grab the first goal ( or two) that should give us a psychological edge

Watford have only won two of their nine Premier League meetings with Leicester (D1 L6), though both of those wins have come in their last two home games against them.

Leicester have won their last two league games against Watford, last winning three in a row against the Hornets in August 1999.

Since Watford’s return to the Premier League in 2015-16, meetings between them and Leicester have seen more penalty goals than any other fixture in the competition (5).

Watford are looking to keep three consecutive home clean sheets in the Premier League for the first time since April 2017.

This will be Brendan Rodgers’ first Premier League encounter with former club Watford – he has registered at least one win against 27 of the 29 clubs he’s faced in the competition, failing only against Chelsea (eight games) and Wolves (2).

Brendan Rodgers is taking charge of his first match as Leicester manager – he has failed to win his first league game in charge of the previous four teams he’s managed in English football (W0 D2 L2).

Including caretakers, Leicester’s last five managers have won their first Premier League match in charge (Ranieri, Shakespeare, Appleton, Puel and Stowell). The last Foxes boss to lose his first game in charge was Dave Bassett in October 2001 against Chelsea.

Jamie Vardy has scored the first Premier League goal under Leicester’s last three permanent managers (Claudio Ranieri, Craig Shakespeare and Claude Puel), also finding the net in Mike Stowell’s game in caretaker charge against Brighton.

Jamie Vardy has scored 98 goals in all competitions for Leicester. He could become the seventh player to net 100 for the Foxes, and the first since Gary Lineker (103).

Troy Deeney is Watford’s highest goalscorer in the Premier League this season. However, just one of his seven goals has come at Vicarage Road (vs Tottenham in September).

Was looking at Soccerbase the other day and I have a feeling that the Vardy 98 goals figure includes the Community Shield goal, which never used to count as a “proper” fixture.

It'll be a tough game. They have been pretty strong all season and they have a lot of confidence. I'd take a draw if it was on offer right now.

They have some excellent athletes and some very gifted players. It will be very tough.

Should be a comfortable 3 points here really.

Watford have been softened up very nicely after a battering in the week and combined with new the manager effect for us and the players also being released from the shackles should make it fairly comfortable for us.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in this post?

In the real world, Watford haven't lost any game to a side outside the top six since we beat them three months ago. Before the Liverpool match, they'd only conceded one goal in their previous four matches.

We crawled over the line against a very average Brighton side the other night ending a terrible run of results. We've drawn one and lost three of our last four away.

A result in this game will be an exceptional start from Rodgers. A draw would be an excellent result too.

I think we're all keen to see whether the players 'bounce' with the removal of the 'energy drainer' and introduction of an ambitious and demanding manager.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in this post?

In the real world, Watford haven't lost any game to a side outside the top six since we beat them three months ago. Before the Liverpool match, they'd only conceded one goal in their previous four matches.

We crawled over the line against a very average Brighton side the other night ending a terrible run of results. We've drawn one and lost three of our last four away.

A result in this game will be an exceptional start from Rodgers. A draw would be an excellent result too.

I think we're all keen to see whether the players 'bounce' with the removal of the 'energy drainer' and introduction of an ambitious and demanding manager.

Yea but he's trying to set himself up for when we don't win.

He would never say a game is a comfortable three points under Puel because he'd then struggle to mindlessly defend the bloke.

really looking forward to this game after listening to Rogers pre match interview it is great to hear a manager say I want Europe and then a trophy.

listened to the Birch on talk spurs and he was sayi g the lads were zipping the ball out and had been working on a high press regardless of the result I hope we have a really good go at them!

really looking forward to this game after listening to Rogers pre match interview it is great to hear a manager say I want Europe and then a trophy.

listened to the Birch on talk spurs and he was sayi g the lads were zipping the ball out and had been working on a high press regardless of the result I hope we have a really good go at them!
It’s Rodgers.

Trying to think through the right approach to this game. It's the sort of game we need to be solid in. If we can defend properly, I fancy Vardy or Barnes on the counter attack against them.

We are allowing the opposition to create chances too easily at the moment. We're pretty open out wide with two attacking full backs and wide attackers that aren't great coming back. We have two out of three in central midfield that don't like tracking back. Our central defenders are exposed too easily and Maguire is vulnerable.

I'd pick Simpson and Fuchs at full back for this game and push Ricardo and Chilwell forward. I'd also drop Maddison for Barnes and play him centrally just behind Vardy. That just makes us more solid all round I think.

So two changes from Tuesday with Maddison and Gray dropping to the bench. The other advantage of this is to balance out the team better between youth and experience.

You’re drop Maddison, wow?

In spite of most of our fan base thinking he is a show pony, he is one of an elect group who can ‘pick a pass’ unlock a defence and when he can be arsed - deliver a killer free kick.

For Maddison see Mahrez - although not so good yet obviously.

All guns blazing, balls deep, score one off Chriss Woods'ss massive face. Boom. Better than beating pub teams and celebrating bigotry eh Ted?

We are allowing the opposition to create chances too easily at the moment. We're pretty open out wide with two attacking full backs and wide attackers that aren't great coming back. We have two out of three in central midfield that don't like tracking back. Our central defenders are exposed too easily and Maguire is vulnerable.
Completely agree with this bit. Going to three at the back would solve this I think. Now Puel has gone, it might now finally happen.

**** me Simpson and Fuchs in the team?? And then play Ricardo and Chilwell out of position??

Drop the most creative player too??

Go three at the back??

And you lot said Puel was bad and too defensive!?!

Yes it will be a tough game and Watford are certainly no mugs but I'll be surprised if he makes many or any changes from Tuesday as it is our strongest team at present.

Avoiding defeat will be a great start for Rodgers but I'm surprised by the lack of excitement or build up to this match as given the general tone under Puel, we should be seeing the players playing with a new found freedom now the shackles have been released and we should instantly see positive results since his departure.

The reality however seems very different in that there isn't much confidence of a positive result here.

3 points here will be a great return but anything less than 1 would be concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757